Lancome Dual Finish Versatile Powder Makeup

Filtered by age: 30-35
Lancome Dual Finish Versatile Powder Makeup

3.7

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I purchased this from Ulta in the shade Amande III at the recommendation of a beauty associate. I had asked him for a powder foundation with high coverage. He suggested this immediately, and raved about the amount of product for the price.

Per Lancôme, this product can be used wet or dry. I cannot attest to its performance when used wet, as I have only used it dry. I have, however, tried using it on its own, and also as a finishing powder over foundation. I really loved the shade match and tried my hardest to make it work for me. However, I am not a fan.

You do get plenty of product for your dollar, and there are many shades to choose from, so finding a match was not an issue. I had read reviews and knew about the strong perfume scent beforehand, but I'm not overly sensitive to smells, so that didn't bother me. What bothers me about this powder is that it does not combat shine whatsoever. To be fair, I am very oily. However, shine shouldn't be breaking through after less than an hour of wear. Also, this powder makes my pores look huge. It enhances my skin imperfections and it does not provide more than medium coverage, even when I buffed on a second layer. The color does not seem to oxidize, so that is good. But, when my skins oils mix with this powder, it creates a rubbery look and feel on my face. It feels (and looks) terrible and then all I want to do is wash my face. I am very prone to acne, and I do feel that this powder causes me to breakout. I ended up returning this and will go back to bare minerals until I can find something better.

This powder can be used as a powder foundation or setting/touch up powder. This powder is really creamy and fluffy but will still give a matte finish. It will work really well for dry skin. It has more pigment than a regular setting powder. However it's not quite as pigmented as MAC studio fix powder foundation. I would say this powder is really similar to MAC careblend powder but with slightly more coverage and more heavier. If you apply too much, it will look really thick and cakey. I use this powder mainly as a touch up powder but can be used as a setting powder. It does add more coverage to your foundation but still looks really polished. However I have been finding this powder a tad too heavy for the Australian summer weather, but then again it's really hard to make any makeup work in this type of extreme conditions.

It took me a long time to figure out the shade range. They all got these weird names, letterings and numbers. Basically the number stand for the undertone. W is warm, yellow undertone. C is cool, pink undertone. N is neutral undertone. The number is the intensity of the shade. So it's basically the same shading system as Estee lauder's.

I have this in 5 shades and 230 Ecru ll W matches me best. I'm a MAC NC20-25. I use Teint Idole Ultra in 01 mixed with a tiny bit of 035.

130 Porcelaine D'ivoire l (N): Pale neutral undertone, is comparable to MAC careblend powder in light, just a touch darker. NW/NC 15-20.

230 Ecru ll (W): Light medium yellow undertone, comparable to MAC careblend powder in light plus, just a touch darker. NC 20-25.

310 Bisque ll (C): Light medium pink undertone. Would suit NW20-25.

340 Nu lll (N): Neutral yellow undertone, it's about 1 shade darker than Ecru. Comparable to MAC careblend powder in medium but darker and a bit more yellow. NC 25-30.

Then there's also 315 Wheat W but it's actually darker than 340 Nu and more yellow toned. It's probably suited to NC 30.

The shade range available in Australia is terrible but I'm determined to make this powder work because this is really a high quality powder. I paid $55 AUD and contains a generous 19g.

Edit 4/17: I mix ecru 230 with 340 nu as my setting powder. Ecru was getting a tad too light. I'm more of NC25-30 skin tone. I find 340 is the next best yellow toned shade from ecru 230. All the shades in between like Bisque 310, wheat 315 or Amande 320 are not right undertone, either too pink or dark. Wheat 315 is actually darker than 340 nu. 340 nu is technically a neutral shade but has enough yellow in it to use on my Asian skin tone. However if I was to wear dual finish as a powder foundation alone, I would just use 340 nu.

Anyway this is a truly exquisite powder and I believe it's lancome's number one best selling product.

on 9/4/2016 8:13:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool

A huge plus with Dual Finish is it's size, 19 g! That is a huge amount for the price ($52 CDN). It is a versatile powder. You can use it as a setting powder, you can apply with various brushes to adjust coverage. You can wet the sponge and get full coverage from this with a matte finish. The smell is off putting to me, but as I read the reviews, some people love it! This has been around for many many years, and it is a good powder foundation.

Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure

The first time I used this powder was when I was 17 years old, I used other brands and always come back to this powder. I absolute love the smell of this powder, I agree with the other that say that it a mature scent. I get lots of complements when I apply my powder. I always wear revlon foundation and then my lancome powder over it for a full matte coverage. I have tried different shades and my favorite is wheat for my olive skin tone.

on 6/1/2015 4:05:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

I've never really tried powder foundations because I thought that it wouldn't cover as well as a liquid foundation. After reading the reviews on here i decided to try it and I must say I am really pleased with it! I just put some concealer on my acne scars and put this powder on top and the finish is beautiful! Gives medium to full coverage and makes my skin look matte and flawless. It's a little expensive at $38.50, but it looks like it will last a long time. Will definitely be repurchasing when I run out!

The packaging on this is beautiful! I wish there were more powders at a lower price that looked so nice. The powder does a fairly good job covering and is great to add a little extra coverage over a light foundation or tinted moisturizer - or to touch up during the day. It does feel heavy on your face, though it doesn't look cakey at all. No shine control on this and for me the color didn't look very real outdoors so I won't be repurchasing.

Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Not Sure

Ive tried other high end powder like Makeup Forever and Kat von D, but always come back to this one. It doesn't settle into my laugh lines and doesn't make my pores stand out at all. It feels like velvet. If my skin is being difficult i.e. acne, i wear this over a light foundation but when my skin is good this is the only foundation i need. Ive purchased this many many times despite it costing so much. Its so easy to use with such good results that i feel like its very much worth its price. Ive stopped wasting money on other powders because I've finally come to terms that this is really just the best one. :)

on 12/24/2014 12:30:00 PM

Despite the relatively high purchase price, this is actually a good value foundation as you get a lot of product - 19g - compared to many other higher-end brands that are in the 9-11g range. It feels light and comfortable on my sensitive skin, with no itchiness or irritation. I get best results when applying this straight after moisturiser or primer while my skin is still damp. If I apply with a brush, I get smooth, even, light to medium coverage that wears well over the course of the day. Although this foundation applies matte, in a hot climate it settles to more of a natural, dewy finish which is fine for my relatively dry skin, but may not satisfy someone with a very oily t-zone.

on 9/12/2014 4:16:00 PM

This powder is absolutely amazing. If you are looking for full coverage and flawless finish I recommend using it with tent idole ultra 24h foundation. However this powder works wonders alone as well. The powder minimizes big pores and conceals imperfections like no other. Also, I use the powder as a concealer over hard to cover acne scars. It can be used as a dry powder or by wetting a small concealer brush it can also be applied wet. The powder has a nice light clean floral scent as mist Lancome products do. The only problem I've had is settling into under eye lines...but if I wait for my foundation and mousturizer to completely dry I do not have this issue. I would definitely recommend this product for anyone looking for full coverage great concealing long lasting powder ! I will now be a forever Lancome user... I have found my HG. The powder withstood the test of my very demanding physical labor jib for over seven hours it still looked just as perfect and fresh as when I applied early in the a.m.

on 4/5/2014 5:13:00 AM

I used the color matte wheat, and I usually match as a NC30. My skin is I usually combination, and this powder never made me oily. The powder has a perfume scent, which goes away upon application. It feels light weighted, and can be buildable for more coverage. I have only used it dry, with a fluffy powder brush. For more coverage, I have used it with a denser brush like a kabuki. I have also applied this lightly over tinted moisturizer. it does give me a matte look, but without making it too dry I which it made my skin itch. I work long hours (10+) and it doesn't need much touch up. I can also wear this powder foundation with primer or none. I highly recommended this, as there are so many uses to it. It also give you a lot of product (19 grams).