New York Color Smooth Skin Loose Face Powder - Translucent

Smooth Skin Loose Face Powder - TranslucentNYC Smooth Skin Loose Face Powder

3.5

on 7/1/2017 3:38:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Neutral

I have tan skin and this makes my foundation look ashy. I haven't tried a setting spray on top because I already threw the powder away.. Yes I don't like it.

Also it makes my undereyes look very dry, cracked and powdery, but on the rest of the face it doesnt control oil as well as Id like.

Maybe fair women that use setting spray and powder sparingly would prefer this. I threw away both this loose version and the compact version, which I found to be better than the loose.

on 1/11/2017 5:48:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

I absolutely love this powder better than the Laura Mercier. I honestly don't understand what the whole hype is with that powdee. It's so over priced. Anyways, this keeps my skin matte and its very fine...oh yeah, and it is only $3!

Skin: Dry, Olive, Warm

I've used this powder for years. At first I bought it because of price. I ran out a few weeks ago and bought a different brand. Huge mistake. The NYC is unscented, colorless and completely sets my foundation. I don't have a problem with being oily. I did notice the Maybelline brand didn't completely set my foundation. I even tried the Bare Minerals powder. That did give me fuller coverage but did not actually set my foundation. The best thing about the NYC brand is the lack of scent. It does not give me a headache, smell powdery or like an old lady. No, the packaging isn't perfect but $3 sure is!

Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Warm

This powder is terrible:( I was left with a cakey, powdery, grey cast (for reference I am an NC35, olive skin yellow undertones). Just skip this powder if your looking for something "translucent" head right on over the E.L.F. display and pick up the HD powder it's much more forgiving and milled more finely.

on 9/20/2012 3:36:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

I use this powder specifically for catching any "fallout" when applying eye shadows.

Because I am one of those types of girls who prefers to complete my foundation/concealer routine before I do my eye makeup, I am always concerned with eye shadow fallout - and especially so because I'm not the neatest when applying my eye makeup, if that makes any sense.

Basically after my foundation is complete I will sweep a generous amount of this under my eyes and work my magic, and then swipe it away with my trusty fan brush when done. Fallout is gone, my under eye area feels super smooth & my concealer has been set just a little more (which for me is always a good thing). Also worth mentioning, I am an olive-tanned skin girl and never experience any chalkiness on my complexion. Not to mention that the retail price for this is 2.99$ at my local drugstore here in New York City. I was able to grab this for 1.80$ at Rite Aid because they were running an additional 40% off on NYC Cosmetics. Score!

All in all, I find the formulation to be super smooth and almost buttery feeling, it knocks out the messy job with eye shadow fallout & helps to set my concealer as a bonus, and the price cannot be beat with a stick. Seriously. Though the packaging leaves a lot to be desired, I store this at home, so really no complaints from me.

Will most definitely purchase again.

on 5/8/2011 10:44:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure

i tryed this powder after the rave reviews i heard i use this powder over my minerilized satainfinsh mac foundation and it is amazing! makes my make up stay on all day and its so silky n smooth lovely buy and lovely price!!

Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure

I was looking for an inexpensive replacement for my Laura Mercier translucent loose powder and picked this up based on the great reviews. No doubt the price can NOT be beat. It was on sale when I got it so I paid around $2 - a fraction of the cost of Laura Mercier. Unfortunately, it didn't really do the job for me. For one thing, it's a little chalkier and heavier - not great on my dry skin. For another, something about it irritated my allergies. But the worst thing about it is the container. The Laura Mercier powder has a screw on top. Which is great because my loose powder doesn't just live on my bathroom counter (because I *have* no bathroom counter). The container for this is just an accident waiting to happen. I guess if I loved the product, I'd just use it to refill my Laura Mercier but I don't so I won't.

Hair: Black, Kinky, Medium

This product does what it's supposed to and sets my foundation nicely, although it certainly doesn't last through an entire day. If I apply my makeup at 8am in the morning, my face will turn back into quite the greaseball by 6pm. I know what you're thinking... just touch it up! Bad idea... the product has an absolutely horrible lid that does not keep any powder where it's supposed to. So, traveling with this particular item is pretty much out of the question.

It is cheap, and I may buy it again if I'm ever strapped for cash. Otherwise, I'd opt out of this one. It is translucent though, which was my main concern (many MUA-ers that gave this product good reviews mentioned that they were fairly light in skin tone). I'm an NC40-42 and this powder doesn't add any colour to my face when I use it, which was a relief.

Overall, does it's job (and for $3, it does it well), but I think I'll shell out a few more bucks for another loose powder next time!

on 12/7/2008 4:13:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

I have mixed feelings about this product. Although it is indeed finely milled, sets makeup nicely, and makes my skin look more polished, it does nothing to control oil. In fact, it makes me more shiny. Also, the packaging is utter crap. The lid fits loosely so you can't really transport the container anywhere without a heavy duty taping job. I discarded the pathetic pink poof right away and use my fluffy powder brush instead. Based on the advice of MUA reviewers I only poked 3 holes in the sifter rather than remove the seal completely.
Probably not going to purchase this again. I'm still looking for a powder that does a decent job controlling oil.

on 10/16/2007 11:01:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

Wow! What a pleasant surprise! I bought this due to the good reviews here and can't say I disagree. This is great, Really mattes out my face without looking too pale, haven't noticed any irritations yet and I hope I won't will update if I do.
UPDATE: After looking at my face with this on, I have found that I look pastey, pale and cakey! What can I ask for with a $3 powder? Sigh..