NYC New York Color Smooth Skin Loose Face Powder - Translucent

4.1

Price: $

Price: $

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral

This powder gives my foundation the most beautiful finish because it is so finely milled. It doesn't give that nasty whitecast look that silica powders create. My under-eye lines aren't magnified nor is the nasty texture of my skin. Infact I feel like this "blurs" imperfections. The shade translucent has a slight tint to it. It is a pale cool toned beige. I lean more warm toned, yet this hasn't been an issue yet.

However what has been an issue, is the fact this breaks me out if left on too long. I've purchased, thrown out, then repurchased NYC Smooth Skin loose powder about 5 times over the years. It's definitely not holy grail quality, because I find it doesn't keep me matte as long as my beloved Coty Airspun. My sebum breaking through is likely the cause of the pimples that accompany using this.

The gorgeous finish is what keeps drawing me back in.There is no shimmer (my crater pores are thankful). After looking at the ingredients I am fairly certain it's the high silk powder content that create the "glow".

I will keep to using my "holy grail" powder long term. New York Color Smooth Skin loose powder definitely has it's perks, so I'd recommend everyone at least tries it. For about $4, I don't mind throwing it out/repurchasing it.

This powder is good, but not great.

It is worth the money but don't expect it to equal something hight end. The difference is still there. You will become more and more aware of it over time. The texture is coarse. Not to mention that for oily skin it might not be mattifying enough.

When I first tried it I was really impressed. I use loose powder after sunscreen. But it did not wear that well. The finish became less and less uniform every time I blotted.

It is still a good option though if you apply powder very lightly instead. After my sunscreen I need quite a bit of powder to remove the sheen I get. Even if I look slightly powdered at first, my very oily male skin will quickly take care of that.) But as I said, for most people who use powder sparingly this product might be more than OK.

The color is quite light and there is certainly some pink in there. But I doubt it contains much pigment. It's truly translucent. The packaging is just OK. The main problem is that the cover doesn't screw shut. Nor does it click securely in place. It just sits on there, and could easily come off in a makeup bag. But let's be honest, loose powders are not really meant to be carried with you everywhere.) I rest mine at home, quietly on the desk.)) If I go on a trip, I just block the sifter with tape. I have opened all the holes because I don't tap powder on the cover. I block the sifter with a large brush, and turn the container upside down depositing the powder directly on the brush instead. It's less messy and more economical that way.

Is it cheap? Yes.
To all Canadians I suggest checking out the loose powder by MARCELLE.
Considering the size, at Walmart it costs just as much $2.97 for 20g and $10.97 for 70g.. It is finer, smoother, impossible to overdo, and looks natural right away - no need for a setting spray.

Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Warm

This powder is terrible:( I was left with a cakey, powdery, grey cast (for reference I am an NC35, olive skin yellow undertones). Just skip this powder if your looking for something "translucent" head right on over the E.L.F. display and pick up the HD powder it's much more forgiving and milled more finely.

Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Relaxed, Fine

Good stuff and cheap remind me of corn silk powder that you can no longer find.

This is a really great performing DS powder. I buff it on to my skin to combat shine on the t-zone and forehead. It does give me a nice fresh faced look. For the price you really cannot beat it. I do wish the mattifying qualities lasted longer on really oily areas but it still does a decent job especially for the price!

on 11/20/2009 9:34:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

The way to avoid getting this product to be so messy is to NOT pull back the entire sticker that is held on top of the product. I did this and just tap a bit on the inside lid and swirl it around with my eco tools kabuki brush, apply it over my foundation and it works really well at setting your make up. This product is very cheap too, I got it at pharma plus for $3.29 and would definitely buy it again, however this stuff will last me forever so maybe I won't need to. I was going to get the MAC prep and prime powder, but decided to try this out since it's so cheap first and I am glad that I did.

on 10/5/2007 2:52:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

This product was a huge surprise for me. Although, it probably shouldn't have been since I have several NYC products as staples in my makeup bag.
I am an oily-skinned girl who normally wears Benefit Boi-ing concealer and L'Oreal mineral powder foundation as my daily coverage. I still wind up needing to blot with blotting sheets at least once during the day. While at the store, I saw this and picked it up on a whim, much like the rest of you! At $2.99, I also thought I wasn't losing much if it sucked.
As for the packaging, I don't see a problem with it. It's been ages since I've used loose powder, so maybe it's come a long way, but it's the same container as I usually see. I keep it in my drawer at work for a light dusting after I get there, so it doesn't get moved around much.
I find the texture to actually be really silky and finely milled, like Bare Minerals. I have Translucent, which is a must for my super fair skin.
I usually tap some out into the lid and swirl my brush around, then tap off the excess. Over makeup, it sops up my 3pm oil slick without adding any more color or texture, and alone, it really just provides a silky sheer veil which miraculously evens out my skin tone very well. I almost find it's like what a primer does, only without the oil that primers give me. At super oily times, I'll even use the little pad that comes with it and tap it on my t-zone.
I don't know how they do it, but this product works great for me. I only have to use it once a day since it mattefies me so well, and rarely even have to use my blotting sheets any more! I was about to shell out bucks for MUFE's loose powder, but I'm glad I tried this instead. I have always had problem skin, but so far, after a few weeks, this seems to be playing nice. For anyone needing a basic makeup setter or plain 'ol loose powder, I'll even buy one *for* you! Tons of product too, so that $3 goes a long way! I took off one lippie because while it's awesome, it's not magic - I mean it doesn't make my skin look like it's airbrushed or anything, but it far exceeds what I thought it would do. Well done, NYC!

WOW. I needed a nice, cheap powder in a pinch since I was low on cash and saw that this was highly rated. I gave it a shot and I can't say enough about it. It's FANTASTIC. It's only $3 for a lot of product, and I'll buy it again and again. It gives me good coverage for a loose powder, sets my makeup alllll day, and it also works really well as a light foundation in the summer. The finish it gives is beautiful-very natural and airbrushed. I love it. Everyone needs to try this, and for only $3, what do you have to lose?

UPDATE:
For those who are concerned about how well it travels, I've found that by just putting it in a plastic Ziploc baggie, and THEN putting it in my makeup bag/suitcase, it does just fine. If there's any spillage, it's in the bag and it's no big deal. I love this stuff. ONE $3 container has lasted me 1 1/2 years and I still have a ton left.

on 11/15/2005 11:41:00 PM

I can't believe it took me so long to try this powder. I love it. Since I don't like heavy foundation, I have been wearing this over my LM Secret Camouflage. My skin has never looked better and feels velvety to the touch. My only complaint is that the top doesn't screw on, so it is impossible to take on the go, but for $2.99 who can criticize?

on 10/28/2003 4:37:00 PM

Here is yet another example of why you should read the reviews on this site! I usually use Clinique's loose powder and it is just okay IMO. So after reading all of these great comments, I picked this up on my last Wal-Mart run. I love it! The container is flimsy and cheap, but the product itself makes up for it. I was kind of scared at first because the powder is SO white, with the slightest pink tint. I thought, this is NOT going to jive with my skin. But it works great on my PPP, cool toned skin and blends in to a fresh, perfect finish. I apply it with a brush and it doesn't get cakey at all. I have sensitive skin and checked the ingredients for any aggravants (found none), and so far I am blemish and shine free, and the oil control lasts all day. I'm sold for under $3!