New York Color Smooth Skin Loose Face Powder - Translucent

4.1

Price: $

Price: $

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I've repurchased this twice now. This comes with a LOT of product, so I obviously like this to use so much of it! I bought this after my NYX HD powder was giving me a gross white cast. I used to use this to set my CG 3-in-1 foundation and do touchups, but now that I use the Revlon ColorStay I only use it to set and then use the ColorStay powder for touchups. At any rate, I find this to be a great at setting both foundation and undereye concealer, but when it comes to abolishing oil on the face later in the day, I find that this can take off the Revlon foundation a little bit. I use it lesser now with the Revlon, but if I were to go back to the CoverGirl (for coverage reasons), I'd go back to this for touchups! I enjoy the fact that it is truly translucent and doesn't cause the lightening or darkening of my skin tone, though I can see this looking light on darker skin tones, but I have no way to test that... I'd recommend trying this before springing for anything more expensive. And that's because it's so inexpensive, try it and see if it works for you and the foundation/concealer you use! Also be sure to experiment with different types of brushes, I prefer to use a dome-shaped powder brush, but a flat-top kabuki could work better depending on your foundation type. A brief note on the packaging, it doesn't close, it's just a simple sifter. I don't cry about the wasted product, again because it's so cheap. Also, this packaging is not drop-proof, I have dropped it on tile and the black lid cracked. It was almost gone, so I was able to use it until I finished it, but just beware of the delicate packaging and the fact that it doesn't close!

on 5/16/2015 8:47:00 AM

This is my favorite setting powder. I only use it to set my concealer. I put my concealer on and then immediately dip my sponge into this and let it "bake". The first thing I did when I got it was throw the sponge that came with it away, and removed the sifter. It seems like it would make a huge mess so I make sure to leave mine sitting flat on the table. The packaging is terrible but that won't deter me from buying again. This really is a good setting powder. Nothing creases all day when you use this and the baking method. I paid around $3 for it at target.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

Love this powder! It gives my skin a nice satin finish (I'm pretty dry, so anything with a matte finish makes me look dry and flakey) and I don't really need to touch it up throughout the day. I wear it ovr my NYC bb cream and it blends nicely and gives my skin a nice healthy natural look. The price is AMAZING. I think I paid $3 at Walmart for this powder. The only complaints I really have is the packaging, the top comes off super easy, and the holes in the softer are large so you can potentially waste product. Also, if you use too much at once it gives you a whiteish look, but it blends out with a brush no problem. Will he repurchasing and would recommend!

on 4/25/2013 5:28:00 PM

Hair: Red, Curly, Fine

I cannot believe how awesome this loose powder is. I have tried so many loose powders, only to have them wear off in only a few hours and not do well enough at oil/shine control. I thought that perhaps loose powders just didn't work for me and I should just stick with pressed powders. Until I found this one!

Even after hours, it barely fades. I usually reapply after around 7 hours, but in all honesty I could probably wait 8 or 9 before reapplying. But minimal wearing-off does start to occur around 7 hours or so. By wearing off I mean the unwanted shine starts to come back.

Besides it's superior staying power, the finish of this loose powder is flawless and just what I was looking for. What I was looking for was something that offered decent coverage but still allowed my natural skin to show through. (I've noticed that look is hard to achieve with pressed powder) This does exactly that- evens out my skin tone, a little goes a long way. I love how this loose powder can be used for a dewy or matte look, it's so versatile! It provides just enough shine control to make my face not look oily, but does let my natural skin breathe. The look is never powdery, chalky, too matte, etc. I get a very luminous, flawless, natural look from this powder whether I'm going for a dewy or matte look.

Just remember to slowly and lightly shake the powder into the cap for putting your brush into, because a lot comes out all at once. But it's easy to work around. It also seems like it could leak/spill easily so I make sure to store this upright and not in a travel bag. If you travel a lot, this isnt' for you.

Perfect for anytime, all the time. Highly recommend.

on 3/25/2013 11:46:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

First off, this has to be hands down the worst packaging I've ever purchased. The lid comes off so easily and when I travel I have to carry it in a plastic bag. It just flies everywhere! :( I used this powder with Revlon Colorstay liquid foundation (I'm the shade "buff") and I used it for such a long time. Now I'm finally accepting that this might be the reason for the white cast on my already pale face and creasing in my smile lines (I'm in high school, that's not supposed to happen yet!). It's a very good amount of powder for such a low price but the cons outweigh the pros for me unfortunately :( Now I will be trying the Touch Up Veil by Bare Escentuals and hopefully that looks nicer!

on 1/26/2013 4:52:00 PM

I first read about this product on makeupalley and could hardly believe that it was recommended at all. I guess I always assumed that NYC stuff was super cheap and crappy. However, after reading some reviews and realizing that it was less than $3, I figured it was worth a shot.

Oh my word. It is such a great translucent powder! I can still hardly believe that it is made by NYC and is so cheap. I use it over top of my make-up to set everything, and it does the job perfectly! I have pretty good skin overall, but I do have some areas of uneven skin tones. It evenly covers and gives my skin a great, finished look (without looking powdery). I have the translucent powder and I really do love it. I say I would buy it again, but there is so much powder in the container, I'm more than positive it will last me the rest of my life.

If you're not careful, the powder can get everywhere. Just be careful when you pack it up to travel and when you first open it. Hey, for a great $3 powder, I don't even mind the packaging.

I recommend this powder highly, and and super impressed by the results and the low price!

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I love this powder. When paired with NYC's smooth liquid foundation my makeup looks good and holds up throughout the day. It doesn't add any color and sets my foundation without making it look cakey. When I apply I actually use the puff it comes with. I take off the clear plastic sieve to get to the product. It's such a good product and it's so cheap...you can't go wrong with this one.

on 2/11/2012 12:06:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

This is a great drugstore powder. I use it to set my foundation and it doesn't look cakey. I just hate the packaging. No matter how careful I am, the powder goes everywhere. I won't repurchase it because there are less messy powders that are just as nice or nicer on my skin. It's a great, affordable product for a teen though!

Hair: Brunette, Other, Medium

This is a lovely product (I have it in Transluscent). It sets beautifully, and the descriptions before mine are very accurate. Interesting fact: I found NARS loose powder to be of the same quality, in how finely it is milled, how small it makes my pores look, and in color. However, NARS Snow is slightly less pink in color. Glad I tried this product. It's every bit just as good as the NARS version.

on 8/12/2011 10:02:00 AM

Hair: Blond, Straight, Coarse

i have oily skin sometimes becaus i play field hockey so much. but this i amazing!!! after practice and my teamates want to go get a smoothie i wip off my face and put this on. BOOM!!! not more shine i LOOOVE THIS STUFF!
xoxoxxo