New York Color Smooth Skin Loose Face Powder - Translucent

3.9

Price: $

Price: $

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

Impressed with this loose powder for how nice the finish is. I don't wear foundation, and have been applying a small amount of this on top of my sunscreen.
To help control how much shakes out, I don't remove most of the sticker --- only enough for a couple of rows of sifter holes.
I also apply this with a flat top kabuki brush.
I usually use MAC Select loose, but I like this better...it's actually finer than the MAC loose powder. My only concern is that this is made in China. Still not sure if I trust ingredients from China.

on 8/29/2017 4:41:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Very finely milled. Easy to blend. Undetectable on the skin. Matte finish. Good oil control, yet non drying. Good color match. Fragrance free. Repurchasing for sure.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral

I have this in the shade "Translucent", and I have to say that I'm pleasantly surprised that I love this powder! It's very comparable to the Laura Mercier loose powder. I use this to set my whole face, baking included. I have very oily skin and most powders don't stand a chance on me. This keeps my oil at bay for a good amount of the day but starts to breakdown at the end of the day. My only complaint is that the packaging sucks. It's very messy and powder flies everywhere when you close the lid. Other than that, it's a good deal for $3.

on 12/16/2016 1:21:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

Bought it because of the great reviews here but this unfortunately makes my under eye concealer very noticeable & cakey & whitish on my tan skin after about 3 hours. Maybe this is typical of loose powders or maybe it's the concealer causing this - I wouldn't know. Packaging is also flimsy & messy. Somehow one side of the cap is cracking. I've been using this for over 1 year & I don't plan on repurchasing.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

I have dry skin due to the usage of retinoids. I used this product to set my liquid foundation, and I noticed cracking and patchiness in my foundation almost immediately. I heard a lot of great reviews, so I was really disappointed. My foundation lasts longer without this product. However, I do enjoy putting the powder on when I'm not wearing any foundation, to make my face look more matte. I did not like how the lid is simply a lift top, because I can't really do anything but keep it flat in a drawer.

on 7/18/2015 6:47:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Dark, Warm

This made my face look so cakey so fast but without even mattifying my face.
It also did NOT set my makeup and did nothing to make my makeup last longer or not crease no matter how little or how much I put on.
Basically the worst powder in the world.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

What a great find! For under $3 you get a quality powder, no ifs ands or buts about it! It seems as though even if I over apply by accident I still never get a cakey look. It leaves my skin with a gorgeous finish and in no way am I left with a flat/matte look but yet on the other hand it doesn't add any shine or luminosity to the skin, it just leaves the skin looking refined and smooth. It does not accentuate any of my fine lines or flaws which is very important to me. As far as oil control goes I really can't comment on that because I have normal/dry/mature skin, however, I do get hot flashes during the day which will have me breaking into a sweat, but yet whenever I look in the mirror my skin never looks shiny or "messy" looking so I am taking it for granted that this powder is what keeps that freshly applied makeup look. If you have normal/dry skin and enjoy using powder I would definitely try this and if your oily it sure is worth a shot for under $3.

on 4/21/2014 9:05:00 PM

LOVE love this loose powder. SO so disappointed it has been discontinued. I used to buy Este Lauder loose powder for $40 until I went through a recession and discovered NYC's loose powder for $3. I have tried all past and present drugstore and highend loose powders and NYC was by far the best. For the price it works great. It went on smooth and flawless. The staying powder was also pretty good. It also didn't oxidized. Can't believe I wasted so much money on highend powder when this was around. Too bad I discovered it too late. I was only able to buy one container. NYC! If you're listening please please bring it back.

Skin: Dry, Olive, Warm

I've used this powder for years. At first I bought it because of price. I ran out a few weeks ago and bought a different brand. Huge mistake. The NYC is unscented, colorless and completely sets my foundation. I don't have a problem with being oily. I did notice the Maybelline brand didn't completely set my foundation. I even tried the Bare Minerals powder. That did give me fuller coverage but did not actually set my foundation. The best thing about the NYC brand is the lack of scent. It does not give me a headache, smell powdery or like an old lady. No, the packaging isn't perfect but $3 sure is!

This powder is good, but not great.

It is worth the money but don't expect it to equal something hight end. The difference is still there. You will become more and more aware of it over time. The texture is coarse. Not to mention that for oily skin it might not be mattifying enough.

When I first tried it I was really impressed. I use loose powder after sunscreen. But it did not wear that well. The finish became less and less uniform every time I blotted.

It is still a good option though if you apply powder very lightly instead. After my sunscreen I need quite a bit of powder to remove the sheen I get. Even if I look slightly powdered at first, my very oily male skin will quickly take care of that.) But as I said, for most people who use powder sparingly this product might be more than OK.

The color is quite light and there is certainly some pink in there. But I doubt it contains much pigment. It's truly translucent. The packaging is just OK. The main problem is that the cover doesn't screw shut. Nor does it click securely in place. It just sits on there, and could easily come off in a makeup bag. But let's be honest, loose powders are not really meant to be carried with you everywhere.) I rest mine at home, quietly on the desk.)) If I go on a trip, I just block the sifter with tape. I have opened all the holes because I don't tap powder on the cover. I block the sifter with a large brush, and turn the container upside down depositing the powder directly on the brush instead. It's less messy and more economical that way.

Is it cheap? Yes.
To all Canadians I suggest checking out the loose powder by MARCELLE.
Considering the size, at Walmart it costs just as much $2.97 for 20g and $10.97 for 70g.. It is finer, smoother, impossible to overdo, and looks natural right away - no need for a setting spray.