New York Color Smooth Skin Loose Face Powder - Translucent

Price: $

on 8/22/2017 10:38:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Medium Brown, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Other, Medium

I decided to try this powder and it just does not work for me two hours into wearing I am an oily mess with foundation missing in patches and a cakey look which I did not started out with,defiantly not a repurchase for me.

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

I have been using this for a few years now and just love it. I bought it as a cheaper option to my Laura Mercier powder, for days when I was just running to the store (for example). The packaging isn't great, but if you have an enormous velour powder puff, as I do, then it's just fine. I have a very large velour powder puff by Estee Lauder that I bought at the outlets; it's too large to fit into the lid and sits separately in my makeup drawer. But because it's so wide, I just hold it against the top and turn the whole jar upside down, shaking powder on. Then I slather it onto my skin to set my foundation. It doesn't change the color of my face too much, it's silky, it absorbs oil, and it's crazy cheap. I have bought this several times over and have recommended it to friends.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I love this powder. When paired with NYC's smooth liquid foundation my makeup looks good and holds up throughout the day. It doesn't add any color and sets my foundation without making it look cakey. When I apply I actually use the puff it comes with. I take off the clear plastic sieve to get to the product. It's such a good product and it's so cheap...you can't go wrong with this one.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Absolutely love this product. Sure the packaging is dinky, but who cares when the product is phenomenal! You get 20g of product for less than 3 dollars. That's awesome! This product sets any bb cream I'm using and makes me oil free - what's more it makes my skin soft and doesn't cake. I love the way this makes my skin feel. It by no means makes my skin oil free, as I still get oily throughout the day, but it is a great translucent powder that sets my skin and prevents oiliness - at least for a bit.

Hair: Brunette, Other, Medium

This is a lovely product (I have it in Transluscent). It sets beautifully, and the descriptions before mine are very accurate. Interesting fact: I found NARS loose powder to be of the same quality, in how finely it is milled, how small it makes my pores look, and in color. However, NARS Snow is slightly less pink in color. Glad I tried this product. It's every bit just as good as the NARS version.

on 11/23/2011 9:29:00 PM

The powder itself is fine and smooth and makes my skin quite soft, but I find that I do need to constantly apply it, because I still get oily, but that's fine because it barely cakes on me at all! Only on some of the dry patches around my acne scars ):

The packaging is quite bad, but honeslty, what can you expect from such an inexpensive product! Also, dont bother with the sponge it comes with haha. I apply the product with a big soft fluffy brush :3

Make sure to moisturize your face first and put on a good foundation/bb cream/primer or similar product so the powder can really grip itself onto something! By the way, my skin is NC20-25, and the shade transluscent is a tad pale for me, especially in natural sunlight, it gives me a slight grey cast, but this can be fixed with either a darker foundation or application with a light hand! It seems a bit pale in the jar, but blends okay(: Im just saying because I had a heck of a time deciding if I should get Naturally Beige or this shade! This also makes me look white and ghostly in pictures, so for picture-taking-events, I wouldnt recommend, but should be fine for everyday use (to school, work, etc).

One last thing, if you purchase this, cover up all the sifter holes except for 3-4, or else this will be a super messy product! If you do this extra step, application will be way easier, cleaner and faster (: you could also buy both shades and maybe mix them (LOL I have no idea..) and make your own shade (play around with the ratios of the two shades!)
Hope this was helpful!

EDIT: I don't use this any more as the ingredients in this are a major turn-off for me :c Ive found pressed powders that control mid-day shine better, dont give a grey cast and that contain better ingredients :) I would still reccommend trying this because its inexpensive, but this isnt for me.

For a natural mattifying powder, give cornstarch a try! It's an active ingredient in many natural-blend face powders (:

on 11/11/2011 11:00:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

I've repurchased this product quite a few times, and you can't go wrong. The price is amazing, under $4 at most drugstrores. Alot of people are complaining about the packaging but I don't feel like my lid comes off super easy, I feel like it kind of "suctions" down. I've tried the Cover Girl loose powder before and definitely prefer this. I do find it a bit messy, but it's worth it for me. It leaves a nice silk like finish on my face after my foundation. I've tried this with quite a few different foundations and it's worked perfectly every time!

This is a good finishing powder to set your liquid foundation. I use the translucent color and feel it does a good job of setting my foundation. I tap off the excess product with my brush and apply. I've used various brushes with this product, and they've all worked just fine. It's super cheap and pretty easy to find, which is always a bonus.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool

I bought this a few days ago even though I was satisfied with my current translucent powder (Boots #7 from Target). I had been extremely happy to find that HG powder but these reviews made me curious to try this one for my "at home" powder since the Boots case travels so well in my bag. Also, the Boots powder is $12 which is a good deal but of course a $3 powder would be better.

I tried it as a setting powder and didn't like how it did not "sink in" like the Boots. It rested on top although it was invisible. I felt it was not as finely milled as the Boots and I would not trust it to control oil as well as the Boots does. All and all I am going back to my Boots and I need to check out if they have a pressed translucent powder as well. I will stash this one in my car or something for emergencies, but it is not going to live in my makeup bag, even after I transfer it to a Sephora empty powder holder. I just wasn't impressed. I felt that baby powder could have done the same thing at the same price and consistency.

Grr I hate when you try to improve an HG and you end up spending MORE on a cheaper product because you then have to buy the HG over again to replace the Fail. I guess I will stop looking for things when I find the ideal....ya right!

This is a really great performing DS powder. I buff it on to my skin to combat shine on the t-zone and forehead. It does give me a nice fresh faced look. For the price you really cannot beat it. I do wish the mattifying qualities lasted longer on really oily areas but it still does a decent job especially for the price!