New York Color Smooth Skin Loose Face Powder - Translucent

3.7

Price: $

Price: $

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral

I have this in the shade "Translucent", and I have to say that I'm pleasantly surprised that I love this powder! It's very comparable to the Laura Mercier loose powder. I use this to set my whole face, baking included. I have very oily skin and most powders don't stand a chance on me. This keeps my oil at bay for a good amount of the day but starts to breakdown at the end of the day. My only complaint is that the packaging sucks. It's very messy and powder flies everywhere when you close the lid. Other than that, it's a good deal for $3.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral

This powder gives my foundation the most beautiful finish because it is so finely milled. It doesn't give that nasty whitecast look that silica powders create. My under-eye lines aren't magnified nor is the nasty texture of my skin. Infact I feel like this "blurs" imperfections. The shade translucent has a slight tint to it. It is a pale cool toned beige. I lean more warm toned, yet this hasn't been an issue yet.

However what has been an issue, is the fact this breaks me out if left on too long. I've purchased, thrown out, then repurchased NYC Smooth Skin loose powder about 5 times over the years. It's definitely not holy grail quality, because I find it doesn't keep me matte as long as my beloved Coty Airspun. My sebum breaking through is likely the cause of the pimples that accompany using this.

The gorgeous finish is what keeps drawing me back in.There is no shimmer (my crater pores are thankful). After looking at the ingredients I am fairly certain it's the high silk powder content that create the "glow".

I will keep to using my "holy grail" powder long term. New York Color Smooth Skin loose powder definitely has it's perks, so I'd recommend everyone at least tries it. For about $4, I don't mind throwing it out/repurchasing it.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I've repurchased this twice now. This comes with a LOT of product, so I obviously like this to use so much of it! I bought this after my NYX HD powder was giving me a gross white cast. I used to use this to set my CG 3-in-1 foundation and do touchups, but now that I use the Revlon ColorStay I only use it to set and then use the ColorStay powder for touchups. At any rate, I find this to be a great at setting both foundation and undereye concealer, but when it comes to abolishing oil on the face later in the day, I find that this can take off the Revlon foundation a little bit. I use it lesser now with the Revlon, but if I were to go back to the CoverGirl (for coverage reasons), I'd go back to this for touchups! I enjoy the fact that it is truly translucent and doesn't cause the lightening or darkening of my skin tone, though I can see this looking light on darker skin tones, but I have no way to test that... I'd recommend trying this before springing for anything more expensive. And that's because it's so inexpensive, try it and see if it works for you and the foundation/concealer you use! Also be sure to experiment with different types of brushes, I prefer to use a dome-shaped powder brush, but a flat-top kabuki could work better depending on your foundation type. A brief note on the packaging, it doesn't close, it's just a simple sifter. I don't cry about the wasted product, again because it's so cheap. Also, this packaging is not drop-proof, I have dropped it on tile and the black lid cracked. It was almost gone, so I was able to use it until I finished it, but just beware of the delicate packaging and the fact that it doesn't close!

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

This stuff was amazing when i first bought it. it was cheap and because i bought it in translucent, i didn't have to worry about it not matching my skin tone perfectly and grossing up my face. and it was perfect for soaking up oil, it just took all the shine away. that being said, i can't stand using this powder anymore. i bought this a total of two or three times until i realized it was breaking me out horribly. i would wake up in the morning with decent skin (decent for me) with some regular bumps around my nose and chin that had no heads. just red bumps that i knew would go away eventually with my medication. i put on this powder with the rest of my makeup and i realized that as the day went on, i got more and more acne on my face in places i knew i didn't have anything before. they were always really obvious whiteheads that got worse and more painful as the day went on. i changed my foundation to a more skinfriendly one which works awesome but it didn't help this problem. now i realize it's this powder, because whenever i don't wear it, i never break out during the day.

so final words. it's a good powder if you're not acne-prone. if you are, it's definitely worth a try, but be a little weary of it....because it can definitely cause you some problems.

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Not Sure

I ran out of my Bobbi Brown loose powder, and needed something to help set my tinted moisturizer, based on these reviews i thought i had nothing to lose by picking this up in medium-- well i'm only down a few bucks so it is not worth taking it back to the drugstore... first off the packaging is the worst, there is powder everywhere in my make up drawer, all over my bathroom countertops and sink - the holes in the sifter are much too large and the powder just gets everywhere. The powder itself is average - not milled very fine, but it is okay, the color medium is fine, matches my skintone with out peachy/pink tones like some of the powders i have tried. but as far as oil blotting, this is useless, it does not help with the shine, by 10am i'm glowing (not in a good way) it has not broken me out, so that is a good thing, but between the lack of shine reduction and the big mess this product makes, i would not buy it again, nor would i rec. it to others. I'm going to buy MAC blot powder in medium today on the way home....

on 5/22/2006 6:59:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Dark, Not Sure

I have use them all. This is simply the best, better than all the rest. The price $2.50.CAD.Translucent is truely that. The only thing that I did not like about this powder was the powder puff that comes with it. HIGHLY RECOMENDED.

Skin: Very Oily, Other, Not Sure

I purchased this at rite aid for around $3. I use it with a Sugar powder brush. The little pink sponge that came with it went straight into the trash. To get to the powder I removed the sifter. I find that it gives a nice matte look (I have super oily skin). It doesn't last too long on me but I haven't yet found a powder that does.

on 4/6/2005 10:16:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Other, Not Sure

I am very oily, with enlarged pores and a tendency to breakout. I've only used this once (today was my first wearing), but so far I am impressed. I got the translucent. It set my foundation/concealer nicely, and didn't add to or change the color. After several hours I was still rather "matte". It made my pores appear smaller, didn't accentuate dry flakes or things I was trying to hide, and didn't look "powdery". Overall great product for the price. I will update if this makes me breakout.

Skin: Very Oily, Other, Not Sure

I was excited about trying out this powder because of the reviews and the dirt cheap price, but sadly it broke me out with little white heads and hard painful red bumps. I have oily, acne prone skin but nothing has ever broken me out this much. It did do a fine job keeping the oiliness at bay, but I think that's what caused the problem--it didn't let my skin breathe.

on 4/12/2004 9:21:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Not Sure

The packaging is ugly, but the powder itself is comparable to LM translucent. Pretty decent for the price.