New York Color Smooth Skin Loose Face Powder - Translucent

Price: $

on 1/11/2017 5:48:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

I absolutely love this powder better than the Laura Mercier. I honestly don't understand what the whole hype is with that powdee. It's so over priced. Anyways, this keeps my skin matte and its very fine...oh yeah, and it is only $3!

on 12/16/2016 1:21:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

Bought it because of the great reviews here but this unfortunately makes my under eye concealer very noticeable & cakey & whitish on my tan skin after about 3 hours. Maybe this is typical of loose powders or maybe it's the concealer causing this - I wouldn't know. Packaging is also flimsy & messy. Somehow one side of the cap is cracking. I've been using this for over 1 year & I don't plan on repurchasing.

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Other

Poor quality. Makes face look cakey. It also broke me out badly, probably due to the talc. Will not purchase again. I'll stick to my urban decay face powder, more expensive but worth it.

on 5/16/2015 8:47:00 AM

This is my favorite setting powder. I only use it to set my concealer. I put my concealer on and then immediately dip my sponge into this and let it "bake". The first thing I did when I got it was throw the sponge that came with it away, and removed the sifter. It seems like it would make a huge mess so I make sure to leave mine sitting flat on the table. The packaging is terrible but that won't deter me from buying again. This really is a good setting powder. Nothing creases all day when you use this and the baking method. I paid around $3 for it at target.

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

I love this powder! It's so inexpensive, you get so much product, and it covers up any shiny areas perfectly, without looking flat. It's very silky and easy to apply, once you get used to the packaging. The packaging can be hard to deal with at first, especially once you first open a full jar, but I've found that tapping the powder onto the lid and swirling my brush around works the best., I would definitely recommend this, and for $3, it's worth trying out, It's one of my favourite drugstore powders.

on 4/21/2014 9:05:00 PM

LOVE love this loose powder. SO so disappointed it has been discontinued. I used to buy Este Lauder loose powder for $40 until I went through a recession and discovered NYC's loose powder for $3. I have tried all past and present drugstore and highend loose powders and NYC was by far the best. For the price it works great. It went on smooth and flawless. The staying powder was also pretty good. It also didn't oxidized. Can't believe I wasted so much money on highend powder when this was around. Too bad I discovered it too late. I was only able to buy one container. NYC! If you're listening please please bring it back.

This powder is good, but not great.

It is worth the money but don't expect it to equal something hight end. The difference is still there. You will become more and more aware of it over time. The texture is coarse. Not to mention that for oily skin it might not be mattifying enough.

When I first tried it I was really impressed. I use loose powder after sunscreen. But it did not wear that well. The finish became less and less uniform every time I blotted.

It is still a good option though if you apply powder very lightly instead. After my sunscreen I need quite a bit of powder to remove the sheen I get. Even if I look slightly powdered at first, my very oily male skin will quickly take care of that.) But as I said, for most people who use powder sparingly this product might be more than OK.

The color is quite light and there is certainly some pink in there. But I doubt it contains much pigment. It's truly translucent. The packaging is just OK. The main problem is that the cover doesn't screw shut. Nor does it click securely in place. It just sits on there, and could easily come off in a makeup bag. But let's be honest, loose powders are not really meant to be carried with you everywhere.) I rest mine at home, quietly on the desk.)) If I go on a trip, I just block the sifter with tape. I have opened all the holes because I don't tap powder on the cover. I block the sifter with a large brush, and turn the container upside down depositing the powder directly on the brush instead. It's less messy and more economical that way.

Is it cheap? Yes.
To all Canadians I suggest checking out the loose powder by MARCELLE.
Considering the size, at Walmart it costs just as much $2.97 for 20g and $10.97 for 70g.. It is finer, smoother, impossible to overdo, and looks natural right away - no need for a setting spray.

I really like this product; especially for the price I got it at $2.79 at Walmart. This is a very lightweight, fine powder with no detectable scent. I use this powder to set my foundation. I just use a kabuki brush to apply this powder; not the sponge that comes with the product (application is difficult when too much powder is on the sponge). I find that this powder doesn't keep me matte the whole day (since i get very oily by the end of the day) without retouch-ups, but this is better than using none at all (and looks better too when applied). As for the packaging, I really don't like it since i can't just simply throw it in my bag on the go since the lid would pop right off, but I really mind. What i do is just wrap an elastic band around the container and I'm good to go! Although the packaging isn't particularly the best, for the price I can't expect more from such an inexpensive product. Although this is such a nice product, I wouldn't repurchase since I'm starting to gravitate towards tinted powders, but if i needed a translucent powder, I would definitely repurchase this one!

PROS:
- lightweight
-fine powder
-no scent
-inexpensive

CONS:
-packaging
-doesn't keep me matte the whole day

I purchased this product when I ran out of the NYC pressed translucent powder and it was out of stock. Great amount of product for the price. I'm not a huge fan of loose powder because I find it can be messy and pressed powders are so much easier to just throw in your bag for touch-ups during the day. Overall a good, cheap loose powder.

on 7/12/2013 1:49:00 PM

I like this product overall, I love the matte look it gives me when I use it to set my foundation. What is annoying though is the packaging, it's not a screw lid so if you drop it all the product might fly out everywhere. I also noticed that the powder is very fine and it can get pretty messy if you shake too hard..