NYC New York Color Smooth Skin Loose Face Powder - Translucent

Price: $

on 10/1/2010 10:27:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

I swear, I am never buying high end makeup again. I was previously using BE Mineral Veil without even thinking about how well it works. I was mainly using it because it's suppose to be skin-friendly. I have also used other translucent powders and now I have finally realized I have been throwing my money away all these years. In fact, I was using mainly all high end makeup products until recently. I just thought you can't get quality makeup unless you pay a lot. Not true, you just have to find the right ones that work for you. This loose powder is dirt cheap (I think I paid $2.75) and it works very well. It doesn't look chalky or cakey and gives a good amount of oil control which is exactly what I was looking for. I will forever buy this product.
Note: A lot of the product comes spilling out of the sifter so be careful when turning it upside down. Also, this product has talc in it which is fine with pressed but it's actually not good for you to inhale. Just remember to hold your breath when applying.

This powder is good, but not great.

It is worth the money but don't expect it to equal something hight end. The difference is still there. You will become more and more aware of it over time. The texture is coarse. Not to mention that for oily skin it might not be mattifying enough.

When I first tried it I was really impressed. I use loose powder after sunscreen. But it did not wear that well. The finish became less and less uniform every time I blotted.

It is still a good option though if you apply powder very lightly instead. After my sunscreen I need quite a bit of powder to remove the sheen I get. Even if I look slightly powdered at first, my very oily male skin will quickly take care of that.) But as I said, for most people who use powder sparingly this product might be more than OK.

The color is quite light and there is certainly some pink in there. But I doubt it contains much pigment. It's truly translucent. The packaging is just OK. The main problem is that the cover doesn't screw shut. Nor does it click securely in place. It just sits on there, and could easily come off in a makeup bag. But let's be honest, loose powders are not really meant to be carried with you everywhere.) I rest mine at home, quietly on the desk.)) If I go on a trip, I just block the sifter with tape. I have opened all the holes because I don't tap powder on the cover. I block the sifter with a large brush, and turn the container upside down depositing the powder directly on the brush instead. It's less messy and more economical that way.

Is it cheap? Yes.
To all Canadians I suggest checking out the loose powder by MARCELLE.
Considering the size, at Walmart it costs just as much $2.97 for 20g and $10.97 for 70g.. It is finer, smoother, impossible to overdo, and looks natural right away - no need for a setting spray.

on 10/5/2007 2:52:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

This product was a huge surprise for me. Although, it probably shouldn't have been since I have several NYC products as staples in my makeup bag.
I am an oily-skinned girl who normally wears Benefit Boi-ing concealer and L'Oreal mineral powder foundation as my daily coverage. I still wind up needing to blot with blotting sheets at least once during the day. While at the store, I saw this and picked it up on a whim, much like the rest of you! At $2.99, I also thought I wasn't losing much if it sucked.
As for the packaging, I don't see a problem with it. It's been ages since I've used loose powder, so maybe it's come a long way, but it's the same container as I usually see. I keep it in my drawer at work for a light dusting after I get there, so it doesn't get moved around much.
I find the texture to actually be really silky and finely milled, like Bare Minerals. I have Translucent, which is a must for my super fair skin.
I usually tap some out into the lid and swirl my brush around, then tap off the excess. Over makeup, it sops up my 3pm oil slick without adding any more color or texture, and alone, it really just provides a silky sheer veil which miraculously evens out my skin tone very well. I almost find it's like what a primer does, only without the oil that primers give me. At super oily times, I'll even use the little pad that comes with it and tap it on my t-zone.
I don't know how they do it, but this product works great for me. I only have to use it once a day since it mattefies me so well, and rarely even have to use my blotting sheets any more! I was about to shell out bucks for MUFE's loose powder, but I'm glad I tried this instead. I have always had problem skin, but so far, after a few weeks, this seems to be playing nice. For anyone needing a basic makeup setter or plain 'ol loose powder, I'll even buy one *for* you! Tons of product too, so that $3 goes a long way! I took off one lippie because while it's awesome, it's not magic - I mean it doesn't make my skin look like it's airbrushed or anything, but it far exceeds what I thought it would do. Well done, NYC!

on 2/10/2014 10:50:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

This powder is great if you're on a budget, considering how cheap it is ($3-4 at Target). It sets my makeup nicely, and although it's not the most finely milled powder I've ever used, it doesn't come off as cakey. My only gripe is the horrendous packaging. I made the mistake of completely removing the paper the sifter and about half of the product came out into the lid. And the lid doesn't screw shut, so I have to be very careful when I'm opening/closing it. I can't complain too much considering how inexpensive this is. Overall, this is a great drugstore powder which I've repurchased many time, and I definitely recommend it.

I got one of these in Translucent and one in Naturally Beige during a buy 1 get 1 50% off sale at RiteAid (regularly $2.99 each). The translucent is definitely a good color match for me. It's a light skin color, whereas Naturally Beige is substantially darker with a pink cast and is too dark for my skin. This powder is light and absorbs oil well. A terrific value even at regular price. Comes in a 20g plastic sifter jar with a snap on lid. Ingredients are: Talc, Zinc Stearate, Calcium Silicate, Kaolin, Aluminum Starch Octenylsuccinate, Oryza Sativa (Rice) Starch, Avena Sativa (Oat) Kernel Flour, Boron Nitride, C12-15 Alkyl Benzoate, Isopropylparaben, Isobutylparaben, Butylparaben, Calendula Officinalis Flower Extract, Isopropyl Palmitate, Quaternium-15. May Contain: Mica, Iron Oxides, Titanium Dioxide, Ultramarines. Made in U.S.A.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral

This powder gives my foundation the most beautiful finish because it is so finely milled. It doesn't give that nasty whitecast look that silica powders create. My under-eye lines aren't magnified nor is the nasty texture of my skin. Infact I feel like this "blurs" imperfections. The shade translucent has a slight tint to it. It is a pale cool toned beige. I lean more warm toned, yet this hasn't been an issue yet.

However what has been an issue, is the fact this breaks me out if left on too long. I've purchased, thrown out, then repurchased NYC Smooth Skin loose powder about 5 times over the years. It's definitely not holy grail quality, because I find it doesn't keep me matte as long as my beloved Coty Airspun. My sebum breaking through is likely the cause of the pimples that accompany using this.

The gorgeous finish is what keeps drawing me back in.There is no shimmer (my crater pores are thankful). After looking at the ingredients I am fairly certain it's the high silk powder content that create the "glow".

I will keep to using my "holy grail" powder long term. New York Color Smooth Skin loose powder definitely has it's perks, so I'd recommend everyone at least tries it. For about $4, I don't mind throwing it out/repurchasing it.

on 7/1/2017 3:38:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium Brown, Warm

I have tan skin and this makes my foundation look ashy. I haven't tried a setting spray on top because I already threw the powder away.. Yes I don't like it.

Also it makes my undereyes look very dry, cracked and powdery, but on the rest of the face it doesnt control oil as well as Id like.

Maybe fair women that use setting spray and powder sparingly would prefer this. I threw away both this loose version and the compact version, which I found to be better than the loose.

on 4/21/2014 9:05:00 PM

LOVE love this loose powder. SO so disappointed it has been discontinued. I used to buy Estée Lauder loose powder for $40 until I went through a recession and discovered NYC's loose powder for $3. I have tried all past and present drugstore and highend loose powders and NYC was by far the best. For the price it works great. It went on smooth and flawless. The staying powder was also pretty good. It also didn't oxidized. Can't believe I wasted so much money on highend powder when this was around. Too bad I discovered it too late. I was only able to buy one container. NYC! If you're listening please please bring it back.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

This stuff was amazing when i first bought it. it was cheap and because i bought it in translucent, i didn't have to worry about it not matching my skin tone perfectly and grossing up my face. and it was perfect for soaking up oil, it just took all the shine away. that being said, i can't stand using this powder anymore. i bought this a total of two or three times until i realized it was breaking me out horribly. i would wake up in the morning with decent skin (decent for me) with some regular bumps around my nose and chin that had no heads. just red bumps that i knew would go away eventually with my medication. i put on this powder with the rest of my makeup and i realized that as the day went on, i got more and more acne on my face in places i knew i didn't have anything before. they were always really obvious whiteheads that got worse and more painful as the day went on. i changed my foundation to a more skinfriendly one which works awesome but it didn't help this problem. now i realize it's this powder, because whenever i don't wear it, i never break out during the day.

so final words. it's a good powder if you're not acne-prone. if you are, it's definitely worth a try, but be a little weary of it....because it can definitely cause you some problems.

Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Warm

This powder is terrible:( I was left with a cakey, powdery, grey cast (for reference I am an NC35, olive skin yellow undertones). Just skip this powder if your looking for something "translucent" head right on over the E.L.F. display and pick up the HD powder it's much more forgiving and milled more finely.