New York Color Smooth Skin Loose Face Powder - Translucent

Price: $

on 10/1/2010 10:27:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

I swear, I am never buying high end makeup again. I was previously using BE Mineral Veil without even thinking about how well it works. I was mainly using it because it's suppose to be skin-friendly. I have also used other translucent powders and now I have finally realized I have been throwing my money away all these years. In fact, I was using mainly all high end makeup products until recently. I just thought you can't get quality makeup unless you pay a lot. Not true, you just have to find the right ones that work for you. This loose powder is dirt cheap (I think I paid $2.75) and it works very well. It doesn't look chalky or cakey and gives a good amount of oil control which is exactly what I was looking for. I will forever buy this product.
Note: A lot of the product comes spilling out of the sifter so be careful when turning it upside down. Also, this product has talc in it which is fine with pressed but it's actually not good for you to inhale. Just remember to hold your breath when applying.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

New York Color (NYC) Loose Translucent Powder:

I paid $2.56 for this loose powder. I actually like this much better than some high end loose powders.

I typically use any of the following: Shiseido Enriched Loose Powder, Laura Mercier Translucent Powder or Coastal Scents Silica Powder. At times I used Bare Minerals Mineral Veil.

Let me clarify, I am not comparing the NYC to any of the powders I listed above - just giving you a general idea of what my standards of a good loose powder are.

Back to NYC. So far so good. The finish is not overly powdery, light finish, truly translucent and cheap. The powder lasts and does not absorb right into my skin.

I didn't use the sponge that it came with to apply. I save my Shiseido poufs to apply all powders or use a powder brush. The container looks kinda cheap but who cares if it gets the job done! I like this a lot better than the popular Coty Airspun powder. For drugstore NYC Loose Translucent Powder rivals some of the high end options out there.

UPDATE: Be careful if you are dry this powder will really enhance the texture of your skin.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

What a great find! For under $3 you get a quality powder, no ifs ands or buts about it! It seems as though even if I over apply by accident I still never get a cakey look. It leaves my skin with a gorgeous finish and in no way am I left with a flat/matte look but yet on the other hand it doesn't add any shine or luminosity to the skin, it just leaves the skin looking refined and smooth. It does not accentuate any of my fine lines or flaws which is very important to me. As far as oil control goes I really can't comment on that because I have normal/dry/mature skin, however, I do get hot flashes during the day which will have me breaking into a sweat, but yet whenever I look in the mirror my skin never looks shiny or "messy" looking so I am taking it for granted that this powder is what keeps that freshly applied makeup look. If you have normal/dry skin and enjoy using powder I would definitely try this and if your oily it sure is worth a shot for under $3.

This powder is good, but not great.

It is worth the money but don't expect it to equal something hight end. The difference is still there. You will become more and more aware of it over time. The texture is coarse. Not to mention that for oily skin it might not be mattifying enough.

When I first tried it I was really impressed. I use loose powder after sunscreen. But it did not wear that well. The finish became less and less uniform every time I blotted.

It is still a good option though if you apply powder very lightly instead. After my sunscreen I need quite a bit of powder to remove the sheen I get. Even if I look slightly powdered at first, my very oily male skin will quickly take care of that.) But as I said, for most people who use powder sparingly this product might be more than OK.

The color is quite light and there is certainly some pink in there. But I doubt it contains much pigment. It's truly translucent. The packaging is just OK. The main problem is that the cover doesn't screw shut. Nor does it click securely in place. It just sits on there, and could easily come off in a makeup bag. But let's be honest, loose powders are not really meant to be carried with you everywhere.) I rest mine at home, quietly on the desk.)) If I go on a trip, I just block the sifter with tape. I have opened all the holes because I don't tap powder on the cover. I block the sifter with a large brush, and turn the container upside down depositing the powder directly on the brush instead. It's less messy and more economical that way.

Is it cheap? Yes.
To all Canadians I suggest checking out the loose powder by MARCELLE.
Considering the size, at Walmart it costs just as much $2.97 for 20g and $10.97 for 70g.. It is finer, smoother, impossible to overdo, and looks natural right away - no need for a setting spray.

on 11/7/2008 6:57:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Until recently I'd been using MAC's Loose Blot Powder fairly unquestioningly for about 18 months. When I bought it I didn't need to pay attention to comedogenic ingredients, but since then I've started taking some long-term medication that causes my skin to be more prone to blemishes. I started to notice that the more regularly I wore LBP (daily rather than a couple of times a week) the worse my skin looked and the more make-up I felt I needed. Rather than get sucked into this vicious cycle, I double-checked the ingredients and went in search of an alternative.

My first port of call was, of course, MUA, which led me to NYC's loose powder in translucent. NYC products are more expensive in the UK than the US, but then pretty much everything is, and they're still among the cheapest cosmetics available. I was a wary of buying this for that reason, but as the ingredients are considerably less acne-bothering than the higher-end version I'd been using, yet priced lower, I didn't hesitate for long. This has turned out to be a great buy so far. It makes that unregulated claim of claims to be non-comedogenic, which after a few months' use still seems accurate. Virtually traceless on my skin, this delivers a great finish, without straying into artificial extremes. I thought the product might compromise on durability since it was so reasonably priced, but its staying power is impressive by any standards. Earlier this week I realised it had lasted through an emotional all-night election party - well over eight hours - and at a time like that I still managed to be struck by how well my powder was holding up.

As other reviewers have noted, the packaging is fairly dire. Although I'd give the product itself five, I've felt compelled to withold a lippy because of the flimsy pull-off lid. My technique for this is to keep the sponge provided in place over the sifter holes and tap it into the lid before each application. Then I swirl a kabuki brush round the inside of the lid to pick up a veil of powder and dust/buff it over my face. So far, so similar to every other loose powder I've used. My beef with this is that it would be really unwise to travel with. I never carry powder in my bag day-to-day, and would use a pressed product if I did touch up, but for trips and holidays I can envisage powdery accidents. I've decanted some of this into an empty compact.

INGREDIENTS: Talc, zinc stearate, silica, kaolin, aluminium starch, octenylsuccinate, ethylhexyl palmitate, calendula extract, imidazolidinyl urea, methylparaben, ethylparaben, butylparaben, isobutylparaben. May contain: mica, iron oxides. 2.99 from Superdrug.

on 10/5/2007 2:52:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

This product was a huge surprise for me. Although, it probably shouldn't have been since I have several NYC products as staples in my makeup bag.
I am an oily-skinned girl who normally wears Benefit Boi-ing concealer and L'Oreal mineral powder foundation as my daily coverage. I still wind up needing to blot with blotting sheets at least once during the day. While at the store, I saw this and picked it up on a whim, much like the rest of you! At $2.99, I also thought I wasn't losing much if it sucked.
As for the packaging, I don't see a problem with it. It's been ages since I've used loose powder, so maybe it's come a long way, but it's the same container as I usually see. I keep it in my drawer at work for a light dusting after I get there, so it doesn't get moved around much.
I find the texture to actually be really silky and finely milled, like Bare Minerals. I have Translucent, which is a must for my super fair skin.
I usually tap some out into the lid and swirl my brush around, then tap off the excess. Over makeup, it sops up my 3pm oil slick without adding any more color or texture, and alone, it really just provides a silky sheer veil which miraculously evens out my skin tone very well. I almost find it's like what a primer does, only without the oil that primers give me. At super oily times, I'll even use the little pad that comes with it and tap it on my t-zone.
I don't know how they do it, but this product works great for me. I only have to use it once a day since it mattefies me so well, and rarely even have to use my blotting sheets any more! I was about to shell out bucks for MUFE's loose powder, but I'm glad I tried this instead. I have always had problem skin, but so far, after a few weeks, this seems to be playing nice. For anyone needing a basic makeup setter or plain 'ol loose powder, I'll even buy one *for* you! Tons of product too, so that $3 goes a long way! I took off one lippie because while it's awesome, it's not magic - I mean it doesn't make my skin look like it's airbrushed or anything, but it far exceeds what I thought it would do. Well done, NYC!

on 2/10/2014 10:50:00 PM

Skin: Other, Fair, Neutral

This powder is great if you're on a budget, considering how cheap it is ($3-4 at Target). It sets my makeup nicely, and although it's not the most finely milled powder I've ever used, it doesn't come off as cakey. My only gripe is the horrendous packaging. I made the mistake of completely removing the paper the sifter and about half of the product came out into the lid. And the lid doesn't screw shut, so I have to be very careful when I'm opening/closing it. I can't complain too much considering how inexpensive this is. Overall, this is a great drugstore powder which I've repurchased many time, and I definitely recommend it.

on 9/5/2004 7:45:00 AM

Shade Translucent.

Packaging Not very good. The cap can't screw on very well, and it may pop open during travel! I transferred the powder to another container.

Other comments Hey, I'm pleasantly surprised. When I first looked at the powder I thought it was too light for this NC35, but I tried it on over sunscreen and it blended very well.

Oh, and I wish I got a powder which was a little more yellow though, so it would spruce up my complexion a little. Maybe I should try beige next! This is a very promising item from NYC - I need to have a look at the rest of the range!

My colouring
Yellow-beige Chinese Asian NC35 with jet black hair and very dark brown eyes.
continued >>

on 1/11/2017 5:48:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

I absolutely love this powder better than the Laura Mercier. I honestly don't understand what the whole hype is with that powdee. It's so over priced. Anyways, this keeps my skin matte and its very fine...oh yeah, and it is only $3!

on 11/23/2011 9:29:00 PM

The powder itself is fine and smooth and makes my skin quite soft, but I find that I do need to constantly apply it, because I still get oily, but that's fine because it barely cakes on me at all! Only on some of the dry patches around my acne scars ):

The packaging is quite bad, but honeslty, what can you expect from such an inexpensive product! Also, dont bother with the sponge it comes with haha. I apply the product with a big soft fluffy brush :3

Make sure to moisturize your face first and put on a good foundation/bb cream/primer or similar product so the powder can really grip itself onto something! By the way, my skin is NC20-25, and the shade transluscent is a tad pale for me, especially in natural sunlight, it gives me a slight grey cast, but this can be fixed with either a darker foundation or application with a light hand! It seems a bit pale in the jar, but blends okay(: Im just saying because I had a heck of a time deciding if I should get Naturally Beige or this shade! This also makes me look white and ghostly in pictures, so for picture-taking-events, I wouldnt recommend, but should be fine for everyday use (to school, work, etc).

One last thing, if you purchase this, cover up all the sifter holes except for 3-4, or else this will be a super messy product! If you do this extra step, application will be way easier, cleaner and faster (: you could also buy both shades and maybe mix them (LOL I have no idea..) and make your own shade (play around with the ratios of the two shades!)
Hope this was helpful!

EDIT: I don't use this any more as the ingredients in this are a major turn-off for me :c Ive found pressed powders that control mid-day shine better, dont give a grey cast and that contain better ingredients :) I would still reccommend trying this because its inexpensive, but this isnt for me.

For a natural mattifying powder, give cornstarch a try! It's an active ingredient in many natural-blend face powders (: