New York Color Smooth Skin loose powder - Translucent

Price: $

on 8/22/2017 10:38:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Medium Brown, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Other, Medium

I decided to try this powder and it just does not work for me two hours into wearing I am an oily mess with foundation missing in patches and a cakey look which I did not started out with,defiantly not a repurchase for me.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Cool

I have this in the shade "Translucent", and I have to say that I'm pleasantly surprised that I love this powder! It's very comparable to the Laura Mercier loose powder. I use this to set my whole face, baking included. I have very oily skin and most powders don't stand a chance on me. This keeps my oil at bay for a good amount of the day but starts to breakdown at the end of the day. My only complaint is that the packaging sucks. It's very messy and powder flies everywhere when you close the lid. Other than that, it's a good deal for $3.

on 7/1/2017 3:38:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Neutral

I have tan skin and this makes my foundation look ashy. I haven't tried a setting spray on top because I already threw the powder away.. Yes I don't like it.

Also it makes my undereyes look very dry, cracked and powdery, but on the rest of the face it doesnt control oil as well as Id like.

Maybe fair women that use setting spray and powder sparingly would prefer this. I threw away both this loose version and the compact version, which I found to be better than the loose.

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

This is terrible powder. It starts out ok, but within an hour of putting it on, I look like a giant oil slick. I would not repurchase.

on 1/11/2017 5:48:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

I absolutely love this powder better than the Laura Mercier. I honestly don't understand what the whole hype is with that powdee. It's so over priced. Anyways, this keeps my skin matte and its very fine...oh yeah, and it is only $3!

on 12/16/2016 1:21:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

Bought it because of the great reviews here but this unfortunately makes my under eye concealer very noticeable & cakey & whitish on my tan skin after about 3 hours. Maybe this is typical of loose powders or maybe it's the concealer causing this - I wouldn't know. Packaging is also flimsy & messy. Somehow one side of the cap is cracking. I've been using this for over 1 year & I don't plan on repurchasing.

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Black, Curly, Medium

Does not work for me on dry areas, it will look patchy everywhere except my nose. When I do try to blend it in better it crumbles and looks uneven. My nose seems to be the exception, seeing as it does mattify it and leave it smooth. Sometimes though I do get a smooth application but the effect leaves after a couple of hours.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral

This powder gives my foundation the most beautiful finish because it is so finely milled. It doesn't give that nasty whitecast look that silica powders create. My under-eye lines aren't magnified nor is the nasty texture of my skin. Infact I feel like this "blurs" imperfections. The shade translucent has a slight tint to it. It is a pale cool toned beige. I lean more warm toned, yet this hasn't been an issue yet.

However what has been an issue, is the fact this breaks me out if left on too long. I've purchased, thrown out, then repurchased NYC Smooth Skin loose powder about 5 times over the years. It's definitely not holy grail quality, because I find it doesn't keep me matte as long as my beloved Coty Airspun. My sebum breaking through is likely the cause of the pimples that accompany using this.

The gorgeous finish is what keeps drawing me back in.There is no shimmer (my crater pores are thankful). After looking at the ingredients I am fairly certain it's the high silk powder content that create the "glow".

I will keep to using my "holy grail" powder long term. New York Color Smooth Skin loose powder definitely has it's perks, so I'd recommend everyone at least tries it. For about $4, I don't mind throwing it out/repurchasing it.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I've repurchased this twice now. This comes with a LOT of product, so I obviously like this to use so much of it! I bought this after my NYX HD powder was giving me a gross white cast. I used to use this to set my CG 3-in-1 foundation and do touchups, but now that I use the Revlon ColorStay I only use it to set and then use the ColorStay powder for touchups. At any rate, I find this to be a great at setting both foundation and undereye concealer, but when it comes to abolishing oil on the face later in the day, I find that this can take off the Revlon foundation a little bit. I use it lesser now with the Revlon, but if I were to go back to the CoverGirl (for coverage reasons), I'd go back to this for touchups! I enjoy the fact that it is truly translucent and doesn't cause the lightening or darkening of my skin tone, though I can see this looking light on darker skin tones, but I have no way to test that... I'd recommend trying this before springing for anything more expensive. And that's because it's so inexpensive, try it and see if it works for you and the foundation/concealer you use! Also be sure to experiment with different types of brushes, I prefer to use a dome-shaped powder brush, but a flat-top kabuki could work better depending on your foundation type. A brief note on the packaging, it doesn't close, it's just a simple sifter. I don't cry about the wasted product, again because it's so cheap. Also, this packaging is not drop-proof, I have dropped it on tile and the black lid cracked. It was almost gone, so I was able to use it until I finished it, but just beware of the delicate packaging and the fact that it doesn't close!

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

I have dry skin due to the usage of retinoids. I used this product to set my liquid foundation, and I noticed cracking and patchiness in my foundation almost immediately. I heard a lot of great reviews, so I was really disappointed. My foundation lasts longer without this product. However, I do enjoy putting the powder on when I'm not wearing any foundation, to make my face look more matte. I did not like how the lid is simply a lift top, because I can't really do anything but keep it flat in a drawer.