New York Color Smooth Skin Loose Face Powder - Translucent

3.9

Price: $

Price: $

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

Impressed with this loose powder for how nice the finish is. I don't wear foundation, and have been applying a small amount of this on top of my sunscreen.
To help control how much shakes out, I don't remove most of the sticker --- only enough for a couple of rows of sifter holes.
I also apply this with a flat top kabuki brush.
I usually use MAC Select loose, but I like this better...it's actually finer than the MAC loose powder. My only concern is that this is made in China. Still not sure if I trust ingredients from China.

on 4/28/2014 3:03:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool

This is by far my favorite drugstore loose setting powder. It really reminds me of my HG BE Mineral Veil. It's super fine milled and it does not settle into pores or leave a white cast. It's not cakey or weird.

Seriously for $2.99, you get a huge amount and the best out there from the drugstore. Sets my makeup in summer when I am more normal skin (winter and spring and Fall I am very dry). This will give that airbrushed look like Mineral Veil, it's just not minerals unfortunately.

Great loose powder.Does what it needs to do at a low price.I would recommend using a shade one level darker than your skin tone

Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure

I was looking for an inexpensive replacement for my Laura Mercier translucent loose powder and picked this up based on the great reviews. No doubt the price can NOT be beat. It was on sale when I got it so I paid around $2 - a fraction of the cost of Laura Mercier. Unfortunately, it didn't really do the job for me. For one thing, it's a little chalkier and heavier - not great on my dry skin. For another, something about it irritated my allergies. But the worst thing about it is the container. The Laura Mercier powder has a screw on top. Which is great because my loose powder doesn't just live on my bathroom counter (because I *have* no bathroom counter). The container for this is just an accident waiting to happen. I guess if I loved the product, I'd just use it to refill my Laura Mercier but I don't so I won't.

on 8/25/2010 10:57:00 AM

I used this product many, many years ago and just recently repurchased as I am trying to use more drugstore products. And why have I been paying $20-$40 for loose powder for the last 15 years? I have no idea. Feeling kinda stupid for all the money I've wasted on powder over the years. This stuff is really nice. No caking and a nice bit of oil control without being drying. The translucent shade is perfect for my NC 20-25 skin. Thanks MUA for helping me rediscover this drugstore gem.

I love this powder. It's not chalky or cakey. It's super cheap and the translucent really does just set my foundation and not add any color. It keeps my shine at bay for at least half a day, and then I usually just have to touch up my chin from being on the phone!

The sponge that comes with it is icky, but I use a kabuki brush (or a large powder brush would work fine).

Very great product for the $$, lasts a long time, and as far as the lid/holes, I just put the lid on and shake it upside down and open it and use the product in the lid for several days....then repeat!

on 4/30/2009 2:08:00 PM

Dirt cheap and invisible on the skin, not chalky at all. I only use this to set my makeup, not touch up during the day. Great bargain.

on 12/30/2008 10:06:00 AM

WOW,what a great powder! I dont like buying expensive face powder but the cheaper ones are always too dark whatever the name says.So after reading reviews on here I decided to give this a go.Well I am soooooooo pleased I did,its the perfect match for my skintone(translucent)and my makeup looks lovely with this on.I too dont like the jar but who buys a product for the container anyway?
Well worth 2.99 and it will last ages.

on 9/27/2008 10:54:00 AM

In my makeup arsenal, I have Loreal Translucide (translucent), Clinique gentle light powder (glow 2), BE Mineral Veil and Feather Light MC, and I just recently bought this powder (BOGOF at Rite-Aid). I have not touched (except in side-by-side comparisons) the others since buying this. I LOVE this powder. 1) Finish is beautiful...wonderful setting powder...truly translucent on me. 2) Oil control is wonderful...use a blotting paper in the afternoon after applying this in the a.m. 3) Price...YES!!

I recently bought some of Laura Mercier's illuminating TM (which I love...I think I left a review for that the other day) and the SA talked me into purchasing the translucent loose powder ($30-something) with it (with the $12 puff, too). I got home with it and had MAJOR buyer's remorse...i just was not that impressed for the HUGE price tag. Read the reviews on MUA about her powder and came across one that mentioned NYC's powder being much better at a FRACTION of the cost. Needless to say, the LM powder was taken back within a couple of days (and my bank account was plumped back up a bit!!). Give it a try...for $3 (and look for the BOGO sales!!) it is no major loss.

ps...I have not traveled with it yet, but I can definitely see where it would not travel well....will transfer to another jar for that.

on 6/13/2008 8:36:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Packaging collects at the rim so when you open it, it's kind of a mess but no more than any other loose product. It's also obviously not the prettiest of packaging to set on your counter but it is a great quality, especially for the price! Take care not to use too much or you'll definitely feel some heaviness but this goes for BE Mineral Glow too (now I have normal to dry skin so it may be different for someone else). I put a little bit in the lid and swirl a big brush in it (aka BE application method).