Kat Von D Lipstick - Rosary

Kat Von D Lipstick - Rosary

3.8

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

Absolutely love this lipstick.

It's not for everyone, since Kat Von D's entire line is more dedicated to those who are edgy and not afraid to be bold with makeup.

It comes off as a very dark brown with red undertones.
Looks good by itself but pair it with MAC Burgundy Lip Liner and it's perfect.
Very very long lasting. Love the extra large tube it comes in.

Would definitely buy again.

on 11/13/2013 5:15:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other

Believe it or not, this lipstick was my first endeavor into any lip color darker than a true red. I was shopping specifically to find a color to try out a vampy lip-- and somehow, I blindly purchased this off of the Sephora website without really knowing what to expect, or how it would look on horribly pale skin, or even if I would like dark lips on myself. I'm not usually a fan of buying expensive makeup without swatching in person, but let me tell you, this time, the results were fabulous.

At first swipe, you can tell how deeply, wonderfully pigmented this product is; if I were talented enough to apply all my lipstick in one swipe, I could literally walk right out the door in the shade I had on. But the more you apply, the darker and richer the color gets-- and it builds up fabulously. The best part for me, though, is that it's not only a beautifully rich shade, but it's also VERY long-wearing, especially when worn over a coat of lip liner! Another great aspect is that when I remove it, this shade leaves a nice, light stain in its wake, until I use a makeup remover wipe.

The packaging is pretty unique among other lipsticks I own, given that the color is shown through the lucite bottom as opposed to on a sticker, or not at all. The shape of the container reminds me of my NARS lipsticks, with it's rectangular shape. I'm not very familiar with Kat Von D herself, but I hear the top of the tube is one of her favorite tattoos, which I think is really cool.

I've bought a couple of other dark lipsticks since purchasing Rosary (heaven knows why), but none of them even come close, really. If you can even have a HG for a specific shade of lipstick, this would be my dark lipstick HG for sure. The only possible gripe I have is that it's a tad drying, but I guess the same could be said for most matte lipsticks, huh?

When I wear Rosary, I usually like to apply a medium amount over a lip liner, blot it a tiny bit towards the middle of my lips, then apply a little dab of dark red gloss in the center to add just a hint of shine and dimension to my thin lips. Works like a charm!

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

I was on the fence about buying this until I read the reviews. It's true, looks brownish red in the tube but goes on a cool, berry red matte. It's bold for sure so not an everyday lipstick for me, but very nice for evenings or special occasions or blot it down as a stain. I do have to use a lipliner but it's worth it. The packaging is Kat's signature rose tatoo on black. Pretty cool. I personally love the name, and I don't get those who buy it, use it, and then complain they are offended by the name. That is just plain stupid.

on 11/18/2010 12:39:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Other, Cool

If you really pile it on, it turns out an incredibly gothy dark purpley berry color, which is awesome, but is not so work appropriate. And it leaves black looking lines in my lips, which would be fine if I were 12 wearing a dog collar and Doc Martens, but in a business environment, not so much. So I wiped off lots of it and was left with a really pretty darkish berry color. It is drying, and I found it applies unevenly, but when I went over it with a clear gloss it helped smooth it out and it didn't feel so dry. I didn't use a liner, which I should have, it bleeds. I'd get this again, it's a gorgeous fall/winter color, and its versatile. You can use lightly for day, apply more heavily for night, and it looks great with a clear gloss.

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral

It looks a bit brown in the tube but it goes on a dark blue toned red It is a gorgeous colour and very vampy. It is a matte but it is pretty creamy. I only use a little though and just make a stained effect because any more is a bit too much. I dont think ill ever use it all up but it is still really pretty and i love the packaging!
one complaint: they give you a really small amount for $18.

EDIT: i love the packaging(the white roses on a matte black background) but i found they fade away over time so really buy it for the color!

on 3/13/2013 8:39:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

I loved Kat Von D's "Lolita" lipstick, and had to go back the next week to purchase Rosary. I expected to love it after quickly deciding Lolita was HG status. Sadly I did not like this one nearly as much. I found it very slippery on the lips. Despite being the ox blood shade I was hunting for I did not like the formula. I layered and layered until I got the desired shade but it did not look matte at all. It actually looked glossy and shiny. I worry it would bleed terribly without a liner, and after a few sips of water it was patchy and half gone. Needless to say it isn't long wearing. Sad, time to look at MAC and Chanel for the same color. This is going right back to Sephora.

Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Not Sure

I am sad this lipstick didn't get more rave reviews. It's probably the red I've been looking for for YEARS. It's just gorgeous and unique. I wouldn't buy it at first because the 18 dollar price seemed excessive, but then a friend of mine made me after I couldn't stop thinking about it for months. And I'm really pleased I did.

It's such an interesting color, a brown/purple/red that looks murky-brick red in the tube and then goes on gorgeous and purpley. I don't think I've ever found a red quite like it. I tried to find a similar color at MAC, to spend less but I really couldn't find one that really compares.

It IS very matte but I just think feel like that means it's more for a light lipstain than for a thick application. Which is fine with me, because I don't like my reds too vampy, I like to keep the color bright but as a subtle stain. Since I'll use it that way and I'll only need a little brush of it to achieve that kind of color, I'm thinking this wee, expensive tube will last me FOREVER.

So. All in all, I'm happy.

on 11/8/2009 11:48:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

this color is so nice! NICE color on me! FINALLY A COLOR...THATS DARK BUT..u can stain it, gloss it up, wear it matte, or put it light on your lips...its a really nice vampy fall color and so in with a nite makeup trend! my skin is carmel complex., so its great on me. MS.BEYONCE WOULD LOOK NICE IN THIS!

This is the other half to the duo that is Kat Von D's holiday lipsticks (along with Homegirl). It has everything going for it that Homegirl did (read my other review) except that this is a vampy brick red color. Applying this piece of wax trying to disguise itself as a matte formula is the equivalent of using a jagged rock as a lip brush. For those of you that think MAC's mattes are a pita are in for a treat. The bleeding with this was only a tad better compared to Homegirl on my full lips. This time around it looked like The Joker showed some restraint while putting on his face. In my effort to give all things a fair chance I blotted this down with a piece of tissue only to find myself left with a lovely paper film left on my lips. The good news is that you could use this as fly paper if you're ever in a pinch. A lipstick found in the bargain bin at a dollar store would feel high end compared to this stuff. This, needless to say, is going back asap. My only regret is that I don't have any sworn enemies to gift it to for Christmas.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

With all due respect to the poster below, I have to disagree on a LOT of points. I was hooked into this lipcolor because the name itself is cool: Rosary. Seriously, that is just an awesome name. The packaging is amazingly funky, with black and silver. The color itself- is nice and dark red, it was more of a burgandy with pink undertones (don't let that scare you...), it reminded me a lot of MAC Dubonet. It was a nice color. But lets start talking about the texture...this is what baffles me the absolute most with the prior poster. It was smooth and creamy to apply, it did not bleed, and I had never felt such a nice textured lipstick before in my life! It's wonderful! It did slightly dry out my lips, but that's nothing a little burts bees can't handle! :)