Filtered by hair type : Straight

4.9

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

I was diagnosed with impetigo a few days ago and have been prescribed antibiotics orally and systemically. I read about using and antibacterial soap to wash the area to wash away both strept and staph infections... I did not kow that this was sold at regular stores (I've only seen it at my job at the nursing home)..... I figured ibshiukd try it out for my infection and boyyy did I make the right choice..
My face improved and cleared big time with this cleanser... No irritation.. I mix this with water and washed my whole face 2-3 times a day.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

I've been battling what I thought was cystic acne lumps on my face for years now. I've always been prone to skin infections but I thought it was just my hormones or thyroid acting up. Tired of dealing with this crap on my face, I sought out a holistic doctor who finally correctly diagnosed me with a chronic staph (not MRSA thank god). My nose was colonized, likely from spending a lot of time in hospitals with my mom who had battled cancer for 4 years.

My doctor told me to use this on my face twice daily plus on my body to decolonize myself. the soap itself controls infection for about 6 hours. I have to say, it's been a lifesaver for me, my skin, my confidence. I'm supposed to continue using this for 6 months to a year to prevent recolonization which is common among those who get staph infection very easily. I went on amazon and bought a huge jug of this for less than $20 that I can reuse to fill up smaller bottles. Walgreens and CVS both sell a version without dye if you have problems with dyes.

If you have adult cystic acne that wont clear up using traditional acne medications or seems resistant to antibiotics, get your nose and lesions swabbed and cultured for staph. Everyone has it on their skin but immune diseases (I have Hashimoto's) make you much more susceptible to infections. I use this soap in conjunction with providone iodine as a mask on my face and my skin looks amazing, I feel good about myself and now I know my mystery is solved so if I have another infection, I know what to look for. I think I will continue using this cleanser for a long time. It doesn't dry my skin out and is now my first line of defense against getting another infection.

Ladies, stop stripping your skin of much needed oils and protection it needs. I see so many women overusing exfoliants and then complaining about acne. It a vicious cycle. If you already have a staph infected acne lesion scrubbing your face and Salicylic/AHA acids will actually make it spread and get worse. It definitely did in my case.

My Holistic doctor prescribed this regimen for me:

Wash twice a day with hibiclens
Provodine iodine as a mask, must leave on until its completely dry (It dries out lesions and prevents infections from spreading from other parts of the face. Iodine kills every pathogen known to man and even MRSA is not resistant to it.
I wash off the iodine with a Gentle non drying cleanser, I do not scrub use anything with beads, granules etc, no sulfates.
Apply diluted mix of Lavender oil, tea Tree oil, Calendula oil mixed with a carrier oil. I use Hemp seed oil/argan oil mix or if I feel really dry I use Jojoba oil.

At night and in the winter I use a barrier cream to protect my face.

I've eradicated pretty much all infections and acne on my face. I keep my skin moisturized at all times. I use nivea cream or in the warm months I use Alba Green tea and aloe moisturizer.

I was told to never exfoliate with harsh scrubs again or I could get it to come back .when you exfoliate you open up your skin to infection. Instead I use hemp oil and put it on my face and then using a hot soft cloth I steam and most of the dead skin comes off without ever scrubbing a thing. I know its hard to get out of the exfoliation habit as its pushed on us beauty queens but I think its done far more damaged to my skin then helped. Im just happy I found Hibilclens and I believe I may be using this forever now!!

hibiclens is used in hospitals for a reason and for many medical professionals it is the first line of defense against infections spreading in clinical settings. I also understand it's a cure for bacterial vaginosis according to websites and I've used it safely as a feminine wash during that TOM when you have that not so fresh feeling. Now that Im decolonized finally, I am still using this on my body once a week for prevention.

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Warm

I'll take this stuff over any topical disinfectant I've ever had to try--and I've tried way too many of them! Benzoyl peroxide can go **** itself. What I like about this stuff is that alls I have to do is rinse my face with it and that's it. No redness, no burning, no irritation at all.

To make a long story short (or maybe i'm making it long) I've had some bad periods of cystic acne throughout my 20's and basically antibiotics, accutane, and spiro have been the only things that ever helped me control it. Needless to say, all of these drugs come with horrible side effects so I can't stay on them all the time. Anyways, ever since I was put on it (years ago) I've been trying to get off of spiro because it causes me upsetting side effects (even as it helps my acne) but I knew from past experience that, among other things, I break out REALLY BAD whenever I try to wean myself off it....in fact, my last attempt ended with me going right back on it and promptly doing a 6 month course of accutane....

Wisely, I decided what the hell, now that i've been perfectly clear for months and months why not give it another go? And while I'm at it, why not start using retin a after a years long hiatus? What could possibly go wrong? I totally freaked out when I got a face full of throbbing cystic acne (made a billion times worse after I stupidly rediscovered my love for roasted seaweed on the same weekend). Enter the Walgreen's version of Hibiclens. I've been using it for about a month now and I can't believe how effective it is! No, it doesn't eliminate cystic acne all on it's own but it's seriously THE MOST effective topical disinfectant I've ever come across!

In the morning I use it like a face wash (i nornally keep my face wash away from my eyes in the AM anyways) and at night I wash my face with Cerave and kinda wipe at it with one of those cotton rounds to remove my makeup and then I apply this stuff to my face and gently rinse it off. This stuff is great for preventing and treating ingrown hairs too.

Still, I gave it 4 sticks cause I actually prefer to use the Walgreens version due to the fact that it doesn't contain red dyes. Also, the bottle doesn't come with a pump dispenser--but it's also not neccesary (just makes it easier).

Also keep in mind, I'm still getting minor clogs (need to exfoliate) and the cystic acne (which i was terrified was back for good!) only completely stopped forming when i added vitamin D. I'm not sure if that will help anyone else but for me, D makes a HUGE difference in my crappy immune system's ability to fight acne. Sometimes I also swipe my face with a cotton ball soaked in warm water that has a big pinch of epsom salt in it<-----this sounds weird but look up the reviews; it helps as it supposedly draws out the impurities and it's also just great for oily skin.

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

This product is amazing! I have body acne and this product is the best for clearing it up. I use this product in the shower just like a body splash on the areas that are problematic and acne-prone. After splashing it on my skin, I rinse it off. It helps to clean up/heal existing spots and prevent future flare ups. There are generic forms of Hibiclens on the market, but I have found them to be inferior for my problem (I have tried the CVS & Walgreens generics).

on 6/15/2013 8:30:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other

I don't know how you can give a bad review on Hibiclens (active ingredient is Chlorhexidine, you can get generic form or in lesser concentrations). Hibiclens ts a necessity in clinic/hospitals. Great and gentle cleanser for those who are prone to skin infections--bacterial/fungal/and some viral. Regular use prevent recurring infections. It doesn't sting at all on wounds. All drugstores have the generic form which works the same, few dollars cheaper and doesn't have the red color additive Hibiclens add.

on 5/12/2011 11:27:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Warm

Hair: Other, Straight, Medium

this stuff clears up acne like no other. it also helps with any other sores/wounds, and keeps them from getting infected.

actually, i love this mostly for the antiseptic smell... it smells just like a hospital. mmmmm.

OMG this stuff is AMAZING at helping clear up my acne!! I hated using BP because its so drying and I read that it is actually a pro-oxidant which attracts free radicals that cause damage to the skin. So, I was looking for an alternative after making a mess of my skin trying the Oil Cleansing Method (which does not work for everyone!). I have gotten pretty good results with salisyclic acid treatments over the years but it wasn't working as well this time around. So, after reading up on it, I picked up some Hibiclens from my drugstore for $5 (its in a blue bottle usually near the bandaids) and it has literally changed my skin. It healed some lingering cysts, it has decreased my blackheads and I haven't had a white head since I started using this. The cons....DO NOT GET IT IN YOUR EYES or EARS. Its a pink thin liquid so you have to be careful. I use a buff puff single, put hibiclens on it, scrub my face---then using my fingers, I massage it into my skin for 2 minutes to give it time to kill the bacteria. Then I rinse and rinse. I also use a suncreen with spf 30 during the day and a good moisturizer at night. My skin is soft, not dry at all and so darn clear I just might go out in public without make up on!! I wish I'd known about this sooner. I guess better late than never--just for reference, I'm 36 with fair pale combination skin that is prone to acne. I know what a struggle it is to deal with acne, so I hope this helps if you're having issues with it, like I was.
EDIT: I have found that even if you don't want to use this as a face wash, it is still perfect for SPOT TREATMENT. It will get rid of a cystic acne spot almost overnight. I used to treat these spots with BP and it would typically take 2-3 or 4 days for it to go away and would always leave my skin very dry. Now, I just dab a bit of this on and by morning its usually on its way to being GONE...without the dry flaky skin that I was used to dealing with from BP. So, however you choose to use it, it is sooooo worth having in your medicine cabinet!