Filtered by hair type : Other

on 4/15/2018 11:46:00 AM

Hair: Blond, Other, Fine

I discovered this amazing soap via the HS sufferers' community about five years ago. It truly is a godsend, and being Canadian and living near the border will make the three hour trip to the pharmacy at Wegmans in Niagara Falls, NY to purchase this. The larger sized containers can be ordered in, and will come with a foam dispensing pump that screws into the top once the lid is removed, which is handy. I would never be without this.

on 10/8/2017 2:08:00 AM

This stuff has been a godsend for the hormonal acne that has erupted on my jaw and cheeks since I stopped taking the pill about a month ago.

Before turning to Hibiclens, I had tried benzoyl peroxide, AHAs, BHAs, drying lotion, oil cleansing, and hydrocolloid bandages. While none of these methods were completely useless, they were no match against the painful, cystic acne that I didn't even have when I was a teenager. It was red, full of pus, and made it painful to move my face.

Enter Hibiclens, which I randomly read about on reddit. You can buy it from Amazon on the cheap. Mine is the original red-coloured formula and it actually has pump for easier dispensing. The stuff I have dispenses as a foam.

Today was the fourth day in a row that I used Hibiclens. There are still cysts on my jaw and cheeks but I would say that 60-70% of them have cleared. Most are no longer swollen; they're now all quite flat and much less red than they were before. A week ago, I had about 20 blind/cystic pimples. Right now, about 5 of them are still visibly inflamed and slightly painful when touched. That's a huge improvement to me for sure.

I want to mention that I am EXTREMELY careful about applying this to my face. I'm terrified about its potential to cause perforated eardrums and blindness if it were to get in my ears or eyes, so I'm really deliberate about my application.

First, I cleanse with my normal cleanser. Then, I use a cotton round to apply Hibiclens to my jaw and cheeks. I leave the solution on my skin for a few minutes (5-10) before carefully removing it with a wet face cloth.

I've read comments saying that you're not supposed to apply anything over top of it (like, for example, some people say you're not supposed to wash with Hibiclens and then apply a moisturizer) as apparently this neutralizes the solution and thus renders treatment ineffective. But I don't know how true that is because personally, I've layered on things like moisturizer, sunscreen, and makeup once I've let my face dry. So, after I've done my Hibiclens wash, I wait about 20 minutes before applying moisturizer, sunscreen, and makeup and this has worked out just fine. I just don't like the idea of leaving my skin to shrivel up after doing such a drastic cleanse.

Considering that Hibiclens is probably doing some damage to my moisture barrier, I wouldn't recommend using this unless you're truly desperate. But for me, I couldn't even get 10% Benzoyl Peroxide to make a visible difference on my cystic acne, so I felt a more extreme measure was warranted. I'd rather baby my dry, vulnerable skin and be extra gentle with it for a long time going forward than feel as if I can't leave the house due to ugly, painful acne that's impossible to cover up with makeup.

So if you feel like you've tried everything out there to cure your painful, unsightly, cystic acne, and yet nothing has worked for you, I'd say give Hibiclens a shot. Just...ask your doctor first because of all the associated warnings.

on 5/29/2017 8:12:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure

This is a medical grade cleanser. My sister, a nurse practitioner told me about Hibiclens when I developed MRSA (scary stuff). Whenever I or my family has a cut, abrasion or infection, Hibiclens is my go-to cleanser.

This stuff is amazing! I suffer from conditions which I don't care to discuss that necessitate me to shower w this after my bath&bodyworks or VS shower gel I use a travel sized spray bottle (shake it up) to mist this into a more frothy lathery foam. It does not easily lather; it is a runny thin liquid. The trade name product has a bright red dye. Rinse it all down the drain to avoid staining fiberglass shower stalls. Not sure how this would react to porcelain. Use caution it staining ur tub or tile or shower it could I'm just warning you. It will come out with bleach on linens. That is why it is why it is prudent to use white wash rags/towels. After I spray this all over in the shower, I let it sit a couple mins & then I rinse it all off. I was rec'd to shower w it by 2 physicians or if u want it more frothy u can mix half dial anti back liquid soap w this. Do not get it in ur ears--potentially causes deafness! & do not get it in ur eyes, nostrils, nor mouth neither althou they use this as an irrigation sanitizer in root canals at dentists offices so I guess it's not totally poisonous but they have the techs rinse it off (combo this & chlorine it smells like the pool from dear sweet Hades every time I've had my root canals.) You could use this as a small spot treatment but it is meant to be washed off. It is the exact same thing used in institutions as what surgeons scrub in now with instead of bedadine. Exercise extreme caution w this around your face or lovely lady parts/if you are a boy your junk; ...& the rear end. Sorry I don't meant TMI but you need to know this if you plan on showering w it. It is kept behind the pharmacy counter sometimes you have to ask for it althou it is non prescription (OTC). It is some serious stuff, don't play around w this stuff. It's common sense too type precautions but do a bit more research on it than a few MUA reviews b4 u try it. Consult w a health care professional is what I suggest. Don't be afraid of it but do use it judiciously & be diligently reverent about it not meant for casual use but soaking a hang nail in this a couple of times a day will keep the staph out of it sounds trivial but this is a really good use for it we all know how much we hate hangnails/paper cuts buy it just for those if only for nothing else! Every house should have this as a first aid agent. You know those hang nails & paper cuts can be wicked painful. I also healed my feet up from an overzealous pedicurist who scraped off too much callous kept me from getting a bad MRSA bout n my immune system is weak u can pick up all kinda things from salons I learned my lesson I coulda gone sepsis without Hibclens! I'm sworn off pedi manis at salons this really shook me up too it scared the mother load out of me badly! My feet are red & throbby but it never spread past my heels up my leg it's been a couple of weeks I heal very slowly but I can tell ya it may have turned out to be a serious infection w/o Hibclens. It does dry ur skin but to be expected. A large bottle is about $18. I pour it into a small spray trigger travel bottle I keep refilling. I keep the big bottle on the side of my sink & after I've been in public ESP church Christian Meetings shaking hands or shopping touching anything first thing I do when I come into the house is liberally lather my hands w hot water & Hibclens then I can prevent things like colds, flu, etc coming in contact w the public. I lather for a couple of mins then rinse n dry my hands w a paper towel. I didn't have any bad colds this past winter much. I didn't get gastroenteritis nor influenza. So that's something I'm very diligent I insist on washing up good w Hiblcens after being in contact w the general public. It's my OCD kicking in lol!!

Hg. After 10 years of dealing with breakouts I finally found a product that ended it all. Been using twice daily for 4 months. Skin hasnt broken out once. Cleared up clogging too. I get the cvs version. Wash first with regular cleanser then put a thin layer of hibiclens on face and let sit for a couple mins. Then rinse and go about my day. Changed my life.

on 9/8/2011 3:36:00 PM

I started using this as a last resort. I have been getting staph infections on my face for about 3 years now. I've seen numerous derms and they have really not done a thing for me. My last derm even joked about me being his patient for life. Needless to say, I was pretty desperate. I read online that Hibiclens could help with skin issues, including acne, which I can say has pretty much ceased since using this, even though that was not my main goal. (Not complaining!)
BOTTOM LINE: My skin is soft, clear, and healing from my last infection. I usually would have another one by now, but my skin is clear. I'll update eventually.

on 1/14/2009 2:22:00 PM

Long review, sorry~

Background: 40 yrs old with highly acne prone, sensitive, combo skin(what a mess). I was extremely oily for the first 39 1/2 years of life. I've always had light to moderate acne. In the last 4 to 5 months I've become combo skinned with moderate jaw line acne. Additionally my pores have become clogged all over, ecspecially on my chin. I am allergic to BP so I must use salicylic acid. Ok so lets cut to the chase..I've tried many many acne washes and wipes. I've always been scared to death of anything with oil or that has any form of moisturizer (oily skin). I'm careful of my foundation (oily skin) as it always slides right off and/or turns a lovely shade of orange. I have very fair, pink skin. So I read the reviews for hibiclens here and on a few other sites. I figured why not? I've been using it twice daily for a week and a half. The results are not AMAZING but they are great. My skin is clearer, pores are most certainly less clogged. My acne is healing MUCH quicker and I'm less red faced all over.

I use this twice daily. First I use a bar of sulfur based soap for a general wash. Then I pour about a teaspoon of hibiclens into my hands and spread carefully over my face. I rub it in for about 30 seconds, then I add the same amount again and use a drug store brand buff puff single to lightly scrub my face. I use the buff puff singles with no medication on them. I get about 3 days per single. The trick after this is to let the foam sit on your face for at least 2-3 minutes before rinsing. Do not get this in your eyes. I find it does actually foam pretty good.

At night I follow this with the walgreens 8% AHA cream, which I started at the same time (thank you mua reviewers). Just a small dot on my cheeks, nose, chin and jaw line. In the morning my skin looks WAY better. Still an occasional blemish but the cystic acne is gone for the most part.

I will continue to use this as long as it helps. It was about $10.00 for 8ozs. The flip top lid makes it a little hard to dispense as the product is very very thin and pink (think kool aid). This has made great improvements to my skin. If you have acne prone skin this won't make it worse and it might help.

on 12/12/2008 12:34:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure

DO NOT get this product in your eyes, ears, nose or mouth, and read the bottle for other precautions. Use it in a way that you can control how and where it drips. It's a thin liquid-- not thick like a liquid soap or shower gel, so you need to use extra caution. I wouldn't recommend using this on your face in the shower; use it at the sink, again someplace where you can control any possible drips. I use a buff puff single to control it & to de-flake my skin (thanks to urstandingonmytoes and her review!). They seem to only come with cleanser pre-loaded, so I just rinse them out until they're white, and squeeze out the excess water. Then I put on a few drops of Hibiclens and start washing my face. You can work it into a thin lather, adding a couple more drops of water & Hibiclens as needed as you move around your face, or whatever area you're cleaning. This is not a wax on, wax off kind of process. You need to leave it on for a few minutes to give it time to kill the bacteria, or else it's pointless to use this at all. Massage it in with your fingers, or gently keep going over it with a buf-puff, or just let it sit while you do something else. It not only eliminated acne, but it also helps with healing. It got me through my last hormonal breakout with minimal marks, and they're fading very quickly. Run, don't walk, to your nearest drugstore and pick up an 8 ounce bottle for about $11 to try it out. Use it with care and it really will change your skin!