Hibiclens Antiseptic Skin Cleanser

Filtered by skin tone : Fair-Medium
 Hibiclens Antiseptic Skin Cleanser
Hibiclens Antiseptic Skin CleanserHibiclens Antiseptic Skin CleanserHibiclens Antiseptic Skin Cleanser

4.6

Active ingredient: Chlorhexidine gluconate solution 4.0 w/v. Inactive Ingredients: Fragrance, gluconolactone, isopropyl alcohol 4 w/v, lauramine oxide, poloxamer 237, purified water, and red 40.

on 12/4/2008 5:53:00 AM

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Other

I have been struggling with cystic acne in my chin/neck area (hormonal, I think) for a couple of years now and have tried just about everything to treat it. I have been using Hibiclens for about two weeks now and I must say that my acne is FINALLY begining to clear up, and I've noticed that very little new acne forming !!! The product is a bit tough to work with because it is watery, so I've found that using a facial sponge, or Buff Puff, is the best way to get a good lather. The secret is to let it sit for atleast a few minutes before rinsing off (I have left it on for as long as an hour). You do have to be careful not to get the product in your eyes, mouth & ears, as the warnings on the bottle will state. A great thing about this product is that it is clearing my acne, but not drying out my skin- even in the cold, dry weather. I have high hopes for this product and will give another update after using it a bit longer.

Upate: I have been using this product for almost a month now and my cystic acne has cleared up tremendously. I also recommended this to my sister, who suffers from acne on her back, who also has had great results (better then she has ever seen). My skin is actually smoother and my foundation goes on great (as mentioned before, this product has not dried out my skin, leaves if very soft). I did find that in my case, I need to use this product religiously. I became lazy and did not use for a couple of days in a row and developed a large acne bump on my chin. I resumed useage and my face is cleared up once again! Anyone who suffers from acne needs to give this a try- well worth the under $12 investment !!!!!

on 1/15/2009 9:50:00 PM

I read about this on acne.org. I do not really have acne, but I am more of a preventative type person who likes to stop problems before they start. But I do get about one breakout a month, usually around my chin. To be honest, I was very afraid to use this stuff in the beginning because of all the warnings. You have to be extra careful not to get it into your eyes, ears, or mouth. At first, I used it in the shower after my usual cleanser, because they say this stuff works on the skin for 6 hours after washing (so it's still fighting bacteria). But I hated that it would run all over my face and had the potential of getting into a place it shouldn't. So, I actually started using it as a spot treatment/mask. I wash my face as usual, and then I apply a very thin layer of this, being careful not to apply too much and make it runny. My face has been erupting(thanks to Paula's Choice BHA 2% liquid). I had this one bump on my cheek for probably a month that just looked like a clogged pore--not red or anything, but the BHA made it come out, and that thing was VISCIOUS. It never came to a head, and in my 24 years I have never had a blemish as bad as it. I had it for almost 3 weeks and thought it was going to stay forever, and then I started putting this on it, and it is almost gone. It helped tremendously. Give it a shot, and good luck!

on 1/2/2012 11:16:00 AM

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

Somehow this broke me out even worse and did nothing for my skin. I had really high hopes for this product but all it did was disappoint

on 4/12/2013 5:32:00 PM

Condition: Eczema (severe random outbreaks, otherwise mild but chronic) and Acne (since age 13, am 27 now, I would say it's medium to mild acne).

Purchase date: Yesterday

How I use it:

Twice a day, massage into face for a few minutes and rinse. NO moisturizer afterwards, just a bit of vaseline on lips and other dry spots. I do not use ANY other cleanser than this on my face. I use Dr. Bronner's soap for hair and body, but nothing else.

I'm thinking I would wash my makeup brushes with this, as well.

Pros:

1. Acne AND eczema improved by at least 70% overnight. I cannot believe it.
2. Cheap price.
3. Need to use only a little bit.

Cons:

1. Had to go buy a different foaming bottle so that I could use this better because the liquid is very thin and not very easy to get a good foam going with just your hands.

What I've used for acne before: retinoid, oral antibiotics, AHA, salicylic acid, benzol peroxide, Acne.org lotion, glycolic peels, using only Dr. Bronner's soap on my entire body. Obviously none of these methods worked.

What I've used for eczema before: bleach baths (helps a bit), using only Dr. Bronner's soap and vinegar for hair and body (helps a bit), steroid creams (helps a ton but doesn't take away the breakouts, just deals with flakes).

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

This product is amazing! I have body acne and this product is the best for clearing it up. I use this product in the shower just like a body splash on the areas that are problematic and acne-prone. After splashing it on my skin, I rinse it off. It helps to clean up/heal existing spots and prevent future flare ups. There are generic forms of Hibiclens on the market, but I have found them to be inferior for my problem (I have tried the CVS & Walgreens generics).

on 2/4/2014 11:02:00 PM

I have begun using this as a facial cleanser at night and after one use I noticed far less many clogged pores, red bumps, I suffered from comedonal acne (small colorless clogged pores) on my forehead all my teens and now into my early twenties and had never been able to find a solution until now. One use and my forehead SMOOTHED OUT.

But acne isn't the real reason why I wanted to review this stuff, my acne isn't that horrible. I recently contracted a staph infection in a hair follicle in a place that shall not be named. So I swelled up into a painful boil and I had to get the thing lanced (cut open) and then drained which was an amazingly painful experience. Anyhoo, I gently washed the incision with hibiclens the first night and saw some dramatic difference in how well the incision was healing, it was good. Then throughout the day it started to close up little by little and I noticed that the boil had become a little swollen again, so I rushed home and cleaned myself with a warm rag, squeezed the pus/blood out of the boil, then washed with Hibiclens. The next day, the incision did not hurt, there was no lump from the boil, and the area had turned back to my normal pale skin color instead of insanely red and angry. The boil continues to drain and I will continue to doctor it with this stuff. If you've ever had a boil lanced you'd know that anything that prevents having to lance it again is a LIFE SAVER.

Also, you do not have to leave this product on your face. Hibiclens is used in medical facilities, and this is a fast acting agent. Simply wiping it off of your skin with a wet cloth does not remove the medicine from your pores. To add, this medicine stay in your skin and is active for up to 6 hours after usage, and the action is actually inhibited by using other products with it. So, after you cleanse your skin with this do NOT add a moisturizer or follow up product, you will be decreasing the effectiveness of the medicine.

on 9/21/2014 10:49:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

This is just good to have around the house for any injuries, especially little boys with constantly scraped-up knees LOL. This doesn't hurt fragile or sensitive skin and kills germs. There is a red dye added, and this is useful because it's not a product to trifle with. You must keep this away from any mucousy areas - eyes, nose, mouth - and you don't want to let little kids use it without supervrsion. There's a slight medicinal scent, but it's not overwhelming or lasting. It's a very thin liquid, so a pump applicator would be really nice - I could only find the huge containers with a pump.

My acne has really improved lately, but I use this to wash my face once a week as a preventive measure. Also, I'll use it if something crops up, especially if there's any draining. Even after rinsing off, this continues to kill germs for hours. I've also heard of using Provodine (iodine) as a mask but I haven't tried it yet. I don't know if Hibiclens would prove irritating to skin if used daily, but I've never experienced irritation/pain/dryness.

on 9/1/2015 7:18:00 AM

I feel very odd writing a review for a sanitizing wash, but this has made a difference in my life.

I actually first heard of this on MUA, someone had mentioned that washing with this after a shower can help to reduce odor especially if you are prone to sweating. Without getting into too much detail, I have had a problem with sweating all of my life. My sweating has always made me self-conscious of wet patches on my clothing and also made me hyper-aware of odors.

With diligent use of very strong antiperspirants applied in areas prone to the most sweating I can control it somewhat, but I am still conscious of odors which are more difficult to control and impossible to mask without a change of clothing or shower. It is not about hygiene, I shower obsessively, use cleansing wipes while at work and other methods of sweat control and odor removal/masking. It was getting to the point where I would have to bring a change of clothing to work with me just so I could wear fresh clothing and feel less self-conscious.

When I tried Hibiclens it was a night and day difference in my life. Yes, I still sweat profusely, but I can no longer detect any odors, and it is so relaxing being able to go about my day knowing that there is no smell. I apologize if this is all a bit TMI, but for some people who are affected like this, it can be life changing to have the confidence to walk past someone closely without worrying about whether they can smell anything. I shower, dry myself off, then apply a very thin layer of Hibiclens (being careful exactly where I apply it, this stuff is strong!) I find that if I rinse it off then its effectiveness is lessened although not reduced entirely.

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

I was diagnosed with impetigo a few days ago and have been prescribed antibiotics orally and systemically. I read about using and antibacterial soap to wash the area to wash away both strept and staph infections... I did not kow that this was sold at regular stores (I've only seen it at my job at the nursing home)..... I figured ibshiukd try it out for my infection and boyyy did I make the right choice..
My face improved and cleared big time with this cleanser... No irritation.. I mix this with water and washed my whole face 2-3 times a day.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium

I bought 4% Chlorhexidine wash under different brand as this is not sold in Australia but also has the red dye in it. I used it right away since the 2/12/16. This really surprised me that it's the least drying cleanser I have ever tried. It leaves my skin soft and clean, not stripped yet I can't feel a film coating my face. It hasn't had effect on my clog pores as of yet. But even for 2x daily, it feels very gentle. Don't get it in your eyes or ears though! I will keep using this. I transferred it into a smaller bottle to make it easier to control the amount coming out. Hopefully it'll become my HG! I use tretinoin cream at night afterwards but nothing in the am as my skin doesn't feel dry

Update 13/1/17
This face wash and a facial buffer (I use from The Body Shop) is heaven!! Literally clear up my skin. I still use tretinoin 0.05% only 1-2 x a week. Since adding in the buffer, it has made a significant difference. HG combo! Thank you Makeupalley, I wouldn't have known if it weren't for you! This product is so underrated!!

Update 24/1/17
I have forgone tretinoin completely and any other chemical exfoliation as well as "purifying" mask. It surprisingly has kept my clog pores and acne under control. I use it 2x a day (or more depending on if I'm sweating heaps - it's summer here- or just feel "gross") with the body shop facial buffer. I used it with foreo luna mini before and the result was ok but the buffer is more effective in exfoliating. I used to think that I need a foaming cleanser that rinses super squeaky clean as I had terrible breakout using a cream cleanser (Neutrogena acne cream cleanser, I'm looking at you!). This one has proved me wrong, with the elimination of the harsh surfactant (SLS) and addition of bacteriacidal agent (Chlorhexidine). Now I'm not entirely sure which one that really resolved my problem. Maybe both as my acne could be caused by bacteria and the harsh surfactant did not help with protecting my skin barrier either. The physical exfoliation from the buffer also helped tremendously, more so than from silicone material exfoliation (foreo).
Ps. This also saved me from a GP who insisted me to take an oral minocycline for an indefinite period. Don't get me wrong, I'm not against antibiotic when absolutely necessary. Since this is acne rather than internal problem, I figured that applying topical anti-bacterial should be just effective on the targeted area (face) and less harmful. I don't want to risk upsetting the balance of gut bacteria with oral antibiotic and the resistance that comes with it.