Filtered by skin type : Acne-prone

4.4

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium

I bought 4% Chlorhexidine wash under different brand as this is not sold in Australia but also has the red dye in it. I used it right away since the 2/12/16. This really surprised me that it's the least drying cleanser I have ever tried. It leaves my skin soft and clean, not stripped yet I can't feel a film coating my face. It hasn't had effect on my clog pores as of yet. But even for 2x daily, it feels very gentle. Don't get it in your eyes or ears though! I will keep using this. I transferred it into a smaller bottle to make it easier to control the amount coming out. Hopefully it'll become my HG! I use tretinoin cream at night afterwards but nothing in the am as my skin doesn't feel dry

Update 13/1/17
This face wash and a facial buffer (I use from The Body Shop) is heaven!! Literally clear up my skin. I still use tretinoin 0.05% only 1-2 x a week. Since adding in the buffer, it has made a significant difference. HG combo! Thank you Makeupalley, I wouldn't have known if it weren't for you! This product is so underrated!!

Update 24/1/17
I have forgone tretinoin completely and any other chemical exfoliation as well as "purifying" mask. It surprisingly has kept my clog pores and acne under control. I use it 2x a day (or more depending on if I'm sweating heaps - it's summer here- or just feel "gross") with the body shop facial buffer. I used it with foreo luna mini before and the result was ok but the buffer is more effective in exfoliating. I used to think that I need a foaming cleanser that rinses super squeaky clean as I had terrible breakout using a cream cleanser (Neutrogena acne cream cleanser, I'm looking at you!). This one has proved me wrong, with the elimination of the harsh surfactant (SLS) and addition of bacteriacidal agent (Chlorhexidine). Now I'm not entirely sure which one that really resolved my problem. Maybe both as my acne could be caused by bacteria and the harsh surfactant did not help with protecting my skin barrier either. The physical exfoliation from the buffer also helped tremendously, more so than from silicone material exfoliation (foreo).
Ps. This also saved me from a GP who insisted me to take an oral minocycline for an indefinite period. Don't get me wrong, I'm not against antibiotic when absolutely necessary. Since this is acne rather than internal problem, I figured that applying topical anti-bacterial should be just effective on the targeted area (face) and less harmful. I don't want to risk upsetting the balance of gut bacteria with oral antibiotic and the resistance that comes with it.

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium Brown, Not Sure

For over 9 years I have been battling with atopic dermatitis in my scalp that continues to get infected with staph. I have been back and fourth to the dermatologist and my physician (A total waste of time). I've done countless hours of researching the Internet, trial and error, hundreds of dollars wasted, and sleepless nights (ever tried sleeping with fluid leaking from your scalp?) Nasty! Finally I ran across a site and someone suggested using hibiclense on the scalp. So yesterday I tried it (I know it says not to use on head), but this stuff is heaven sent. For the first night in months I could sleep peacefully. It has dried up all the runny sores in my head (eww) or should I say (yay). It's only been 1 full day and I am definitely happy with the results. If you suffer with atopic dermatitis or folliculitis give this stuff a try, you won't be disappointed.

on 11/24/2015 10:39:00 AM

Had the worst acne of my life after using clarasonic. It literally looked like my skin was burned off and every pore was clogged. I literally cleared it by using noxema bacteria clearing cleanser, this wonderful cleanser, and cure zone silver gel as my moisturizer. This literally made all my pimples disappear overnight. This will be my new regimen.

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Warm

I'll take this stuff over any topical disinfectant I've ever had to try--and I've tried way too many of them! Benzoyl peroxide can go **** itself. What I like about this stuff is that alls I have to do is rinse my face with it and that's it. No redness, no burning, no irritation at all.

To make a long story short (or maybe i'm making it long) I've had some bad periods of cystic acne throughout my 20's and basically antibiotics, accutane, and spiro have been the only things that ever helped me control it. Needless to say, all of these drugs come with horrible side effects so I can't stay on them all the time. Anyways, ever since I was put on it (years ago) I've been trying to get off of spiro because it causes me upsetting side effects (even as it helps my acne) but I knew from past experience that, among other things, I break out REALLY BAD whenever I try to wean myself off it....in fact, my last attempt ended with me going right back on it and promptly doing a 6 month course of accutane....

Wisely, I decided what the hell, now that i've been perfectly clear for months and months why not give it another go? And while I'm at it, why not start using retin a after a years long hiatus? What could possibly go wrong? I totally freaked out when I got a face full of throbbing cystic acne (made a billion times worse after I stupidly rediscovered my love for roasted seaweed on the same weekend). Enter the Walgreen's version of Hibiclens. I've been using it for about a month now and I can't believe how effective it is! No, it doesn't eliminate cystic acne all on it's own but it's seriously THE MOST effective topical disinfectant I've ever come across!

In the morning I use it like a face wash (i nornally keep my face wash away from my eyes in the AM anyways) and at night I wash my face with Cerave and kinda wipe at it with one of those cotton rounds to remove my makeup and then I apply this stuff to my face and gently rinse it off. This stuff is great for preventing and treating ingrown hairs too.

Still, I gave it 4 sticks cause I actually prefer to use the Walgreens version due to the fact that it doesn't contain red dyes. Also, the bottle doesn't come with a pump dispenser--but it's also not neccesary (just makes it easier).

Also keep in mind, I'm still getting minor clogs (need to exfoliate) and the cystic acne (which i was terrified was back for good!) only completely stopped forming when i added vitamin D. I'm not sure if that will help anyone else but for me, D makes a HUGE difference in my crappy immune system's ability to fight acne. Sometimes I also swipe my face with a cotton ball soaked in warm water that has a big pinch of epsom salt in it<-----this sounds weird but look up the reviews; it helps as it supposedly draws out the impurities and it's also just great for oily skin.

on 2/4/2014 11:02:00 PM

I have begun using this as a facial cleanser at night and after one use I noticed far less many clogged pores, red bumps, I suffered from comedonal acne (small colorless clogged pores) on my forehead all my teens and now into my early twenties and had never been able to find a solution until now. One use and my forehead SMOOTHED OUT.

But acne isn't the real reason why I wanted to review this stuff, my acne isn't that horrible. I recently contracted a staph infection in a hair follicle in a place that shall not be named. So I swelled up into a painful boil and I had to get the thing lanced (cut open) and then drained which was an amazingly painful experience. Anyhoo, I gently washed the incision with hibiclens the first night and saw some dramatic difference in how well the incision was healing, it was good. Then throughout the day it started to close up little by little and I noticed that the boil had become a little swollen again, so I rushed home and cleaned myself with a warm rag, squeezed the pus/blood out of the boil, then washed with Hibiclens. The next day, the incision did not hurt, there was no lump from the boil, and the area had turned back to my normal pale skin color instead of insanely red and angry. The boil continues to drain and I will continue to doctor it with this stuff. If you've ever had a boil lanced you'd know that anything that prevents having to lance it again is a LIFE SAVER.

Also, you do not have to leave this product on your face. Hibiclens is used in medical facilities, and this is a fast acting agent. Simply wiping it off of your skin with a wet cloth does not remove the medicine from your pores. To add, this medicine stay in your skin and is active for up to 6 hours after usage, and the action is actually inhibited by using other products with it. So, after you cleanse your skin with this do NOT add a moisturizer or follow up product, you will be decreasing the effectiveness of the medicine.

on 1/2/2012 11:16:00 AM

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

Somehow this broke me out even worse and did nothing for my skin. I had really high hopes for this product but all it did was disappoint

on 7/22/2011 11:28:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

This stuff is amazing. It's a miracle product for me in fact.

I've tried every over the counter acne treatment and every drugstore cleanser, lotion, cream etc. I was also on a fairly strong anti-biotic for acne for a couple of years. Those worked at the time but I wasn't able to continue them.
My acne flared up again and it was getting to the point where I was waking up to a new patches of very sore spots and painful cystic spots, everyday. It started to really get me down.

I came across Hibiclens, (Hibiscrub in the UK), whilst desperately googling for something new to try. I got hold of some straight away and started using it twice a day. The very next day my skin had started to clear up. In 5 days it was 80% clear and in 2 weeks every single spot had gone. I still had a few reddish marks where they had been but within 2 months all those had gone too. It's been 4 months now and I don't have acne anymore. I get the odd 'normal' looking spot just before my period but it goes in a couple of days.

I have normal skin for the first time in 15 years and I put that down to using Hibiclens.

I use twice a day.I always wash my make up off first with a paraben free, oil free gel cleanser, then palm some of the red liquid and apply carefully with my fingers. I work it into a white creamy lather on my skin before adding a little water to foam it up slightly. Then finally squeeze eyes and mouth shut and rinse my cheeks with hot water, making sure to get it all off. As it continues to work over some hours, I don't moisturise at night so nothing can interfer with the process.

It is not made as a facial skin product so use with some caution. Don't get it anywhere near your eyes (screw them up tight and rinse very carefully), or your mouth and nose. It's very runny so you may find it easier to apply with a cotton pad depending on where you want it to go. The bottle can be awkward but easily dispensed into a little travel bottle with a pump if you like.

I would never be without it now. I wish I'd found it years ago.

on 12/13/2010 4:34:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

Walgreens is now making a version of this that is $3-4 cheaper, has the same percentage of active ingredient, and DOES NOT INCLUDE RED DYE, which has been a problem for those of us who are sensitive to it. I bought Hibiclens to deal with a mild bout of folliculitis (caused by staph bacteria) on my legs. It wiped the infection out within a day, and I will always be keeping a bottle of this around to prevent any further infections. I could not use the original Hibiclens for my acne because the red dye broke me out horribly, so I'm really excited about the Walgreens version. I'm going to try this for my body acne for a couple of weeks and will update if I see any problems or improvements. As far as I can tell from the Acne Detective list, it does not have any known comedogenic ingredients (http://www.zerozits.com/Articles/acnedetect.htm) . The Walgreens version also foams up a bit more than the brand version, which is nice.

Guys...I have tried tens of products over the years, battling blackheads, red angry pimples, and the dreaded cystic acne that has left pits on my cheeks. My father said in passing one time to try Hibiclens. He had been advised to use it for something else, I believe, other than the facial area, but that's what he and I religiously use it for now!!!
My skin is genuinely 98% clear now. I kid you not. Battling with drying creams and ointments is gone. Also, after doing some research on this product, do NOT get this in your eyes, ears, nose, mouth, etc. I just take a bit in my hands, rub on my face, and use my Clarisonic Mia brush for 1 minute. It's actually used in surgical settings and there's no need to let it sit on your face/skin for minutes at a time. It can effectively kill bacteria in about the time it takes to wash your hands (part of its original purpose). Additionally, it continues to kill bacteria for 6 hours after it's on your skin, so covering it with multiple other chemicals, such as moisturizer, etc will actually minimize its effectiveness. All I can say is while I wish I'd found out about this product years ago, I am truly grateful for the amazing skin it's given me today!

on 11/28/2009 12:35:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

I originally bought this to try on my face but haven't tried it for that yet. I had a cesarean over 15 years ago and every now and then the scar itches. I use this in the shower on the scar, then wash it off immediately and itch is gone. Also, sometimes under my breasts itch and I'll use this for that also and itch is gone. I get crazy back itch (but it's not bacne) and exfoliating helps but I tried Hibiclens on it and it worked great. I will not use it every day but maybe once a week. Have been using it for a few months now and so far so good. I can't recommend it for face acne (since I haven't used it for that) but for random body itches, this is HG. :)
Also great for keeping stinky feet under control. I highly recommend. I picked it up at CVS for about $11. A little goes a long way. It's very liquidy but I poured some in a foam pump and that works fabulously.