Filtered by skin tone : Fair

4.7

on 10/8/2017 2:08:00 AM

This stuff has been a godsend for the hormonal acne that has erupted on my jaw and cheeks since I stopped taking the pill about a month ago.

Before turning to Hibiclens, I had tried benzoyl peroxide, AHAs, BHAs, drying lotion, oil cleansing, and hydrocolloid bandages. While none of these methods were completely useless, they were no match against the painful, cystic acne that I didn't even have when I was a teenager. It was red, full of pus, and made it painful to move my face.

Enter Hibiclens, which I randomly read about on reddit. You can buy it from Amazon on the cheap. Mine is the original red-coloured formula and it actually has pump for easier dispensing. The stuff I have dispenses as a foam.

Today was the fourth day in a row that I used Hibiclens. There are still cysts on my jaw and cheeks but I would say that 60-70% of them have cleared. Most are no longer swollen; they're now all quite flat and much less red than they were before. A week ago, I had about 20 blind/cystic pimples. Right now, about 5 of them are still visibly inflamed and slightly painful when touched. That's a huge improvement to me for sure.

I want to mention that I am EXTREMELY careful about applying this to my face. I'm terrified about its potential to cause perforated eardrums and blindness if it were to get in my ears or eyes, so I'm really deliberate about my application.

First, I cleanse with my normal cleanser. Then, I use a cotton round to apply Hibiclens to my jaw and cheeks. I leave the solution on my skin for a few minutes (5-10) before carefully removing it with a wet face cloth.

I've read comments saying that you're not supposed to apply anything over top of it (like, for example, some people say you're not supposed to wash with Hibiclens and then apply a moisturizer) as apparently this neutralizes the solution and thus renders treatment ineffective. But I don't know how true that is because personally, I've layered on things like moisturizer, sunscreen, and makeup once I've let my face dry. So, after I've done my Hibiclens wash, I wait about 20 minutes before applying moisturizer, sunscreen, and makeup and this has worked out just fine. I just don't like the idea of leaving my skin to shrivel up after doing such a drastic cleanse.

Considering that Hibiclens is probably doing some damage to my moisture barrier, I wouldn't recommend using this unless you're truly desperate. But for me, I couldn't even get 10% Benzoyl Peroxide to make a visible difference on my cystic acne, so I felt a more extreme measure was warranted. I'd rather baby my dry, vulnerable skin and be extra gentle with it for a long time going forward than feel as if I can't leave the house due to ugly, painful acne that's impossible to cover up with makeup.

So if you feel like you've tried everything out there to cure your painful, unsightly, cystic acne, and yet nothing has worked for you, I'd say give Hibiclens a shot. Just...ask your doctor first because of all the associated warnings.

on 5/29/2017 8:12:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure

This is a medical grade cleanser. My sister, a nurse practitioner told me about Hibiclens when I developed MRSA (scary stuff). Whenever I or my family has a cut, abrasion or infection, Hibiclens is my go-to cleanser.

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

For some reason commercial antiperspirants and deodorants make me smell sour once I start sweating. I have tried everything and am constantly paranoid that I stink. The other day someone raved about hibiclens on cafe for underarm issues so of course I went right out and bought it. I use it in the shower and use a nickel sized amount. It is really liquidy so is easy to waste if you're not careful. I leave it on my underarms while I wash my face and then rinse well. Ever since I have been using this I don't get any funky smell. I have used a different deodorant everyday just to see how it reacts and I haven't had any issues. This stuff is wonderful and has helped me get some confidence back

on 9/28/2016 6:41:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I have used, its work, but not so good.

on 11/24/2015 10:39:00 AM

Had the worst acne of my life after using clarasonic. It literally looked like my skin was burned off and every pore was clogged. I literally cleared it by using noxema bacteria clearing cleanser, this wonderful cleanser, and cure zone silver gel as my moisturizer. This literally made all my pimples disappear overnight. This will be my new regimen.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

I've been battling what I thought was cystic acne lumps on my face for years now. I've always been prone to skin infections but I thought it was just my hormones or thyroid acting up. Tired of dealing with this crap on my face, I sought out a holistic doctor who finally correctly diagnosed me with a chronic staph (not MRSA thank god). My nose was colonized, likely from spending a lot of time in hospitals with my mom who had battled cancer for 4 years.

My doctor told me to use this on my face twice daily plus on my body to decolonize myself. the soap itself controls infection for about 6 hours. I have to say, it's been a lifesaver for me, my skin, my confidence. I'm supposed to continue using this for 6 months to a year to prevent recolonization which is common among those who get staph infection very easily. I went on amazon and bought a huge jug of this for less than $20 that I can reuse to fill up smaller bottles. Walgreens and CVS both sell a version without dye if you have problems with dyes.

If you have adult cystic acne that wont clear up using traditional acne medications or seems resistant to antibiotics, get your nose and lesions swabbed and cultured for staph. Everyone has it on their skin but immune diseases (I have Hashimoto's) make you much more susceptible to infections. I use this soap in conjunction with providone iodine as a mask on my face and my skin looks amazing, I feel good about myself and now I know my mystery is solved so if I have another infection, I know what to look for. I think I will continue using this cleanser for a long time. It doesn't dry my skin out and is now my first line of defense against getting another infection.

Ladies, stop stripping your skin of much needed oils and protection it needs. I see so many women overusing exfoliants and then complaining about acne. It a vicious cycle. If you already have a staph infected acne lesion scrubbing your face and Salicylic/AHA acids will actually make it spread and get worse. It definitely did in my case.

My Holistic doctor prescribed this regimen for me:

Wash twice a day with hibiclens
Provodine iodine as a mask, must leave on until its completely dry (It dries out lesions and prevents infections from spreading from other parts of the face. Iodine kills every pathogen known to man and even MRSA is not resistant to it.
I wash off the iodine with a Gentle non drying cleanser, I do not scrub use anything with beads, granules etc, no sulfates.
Apply diluted mix of Lavender oil, tea Tree oil, Calendula oil mixed with a carrier oil. I use Hemp seed oil/argan oil mix or if I feel really dry I use Jojoba oil.

At night and in the winter I use a barrier cream to protect my face.

I've eradicated pretty much all infections and acne on my face. I keep my skin moisturized at all times. I use nivea cream or in the warm months I use Alba Green tea and aloe moisturizer.

I was told to never exfoliate with harsh scrubs again or I could get it to come back .when you exfoliate you open up your skin to infection. Instead I use hemp oil and put it on my face and then using a hot soft cloth I steam and most of the dead skin comes off without ever scrubbing a thing. I know its hard to get out of the exfoliation habit as its pushed on us beauty queens but I think its done far more damaged to my skin then helped. Im just happy I found Hibilclens and I believe I may be using this forever now!!

hibiclens is used in hospitals for a reason and for many medical professionals it is the first line of defense against infections spreading in clinical settings. I also understand it's a cure for bacterial vaginosis according to websites and I've used it safely as a feminine wash during that TOM when you have that not so fresh feeling. Now that Im decolonized finally, I am still using this on my body once a week for prevention.

on 5/7/2012 12:43:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

been using the product for about a month to trat skin infections and it if great .

on 7/22/2011 11:28:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

This stuff is amazing. It's a miracle product for me in fact.

I've tried every over the counter acne treatment and every drugstore cleanser, lotion, cream etc. I was also on a fairly strong anti-biotic for acne for a couple of years. Those worked at the time but I wasn't able to continue them.
My acne flared up again and it was getting to the point where I was waking up to a new patches of very sore spots and painful cystic spots, everyday. It started to really get me down.

I came across Hibiclens, (Hibiscrub in the UK), whilst desperately googling for something new to try. I got hold of some straight away and started using it twice a day. The very next day my skin had started to clear up. In 5 days it was 80% clear and in 2 weeks every single spot had gone. I still had a few reddish marks where they had been but within 2 months all those had gone too. It's been 4 months now and I don't have acne anymore. I get the odd 'normal' looking spot just before my period but it goes in a couple of days.

I have normal skin for the first time in 15 years and I put that down to using Hibiclens.

I use twice a day.I always wash my make up off first with a paraben free, oil free gel cleanser, then palm some of the red liquid and apply carefully with my fingers. I work it into a white creamy lather on my skin before adding a little water to foam it up slightly. Then finally squeeze eyes and mouth shut and rinse my cheeks with hot water, making sure to get it all off. As it continues to work over some hours, I don't moisturise at night so nothing can interfer with the process.

It is not made as a facial skin product so use with some caution. Don't get it anywhere near your eyes (screw them up tight and rinse very carefully), or your mouth and nose. It's very runny so you may find it easier to apply with a cotton pad depending on where you want it to go. The bottle can be awkward but easily dispensed into a little travel bottle with a pump if you like.

I would never be without it now. I wish I'd found it years ago.

on 5/13/2011 1:57:00 AM

I have very sensitive armpits and can't even use a typical deodorant, not to mention antiperspirant. I'm currently using Kiss My Face Liquid Rock Deodorant with good results, but ever since the weather warmed up, I start to stink by the end of my workday.
I bought Hibiclens at Target, applied it for 2 minutes under my arms in the morning, rinsed off and applied Kiss My Face. 12 hours later still no stink. I'm impressed. I'll repurchase, definitely.

on 5/12/2011 11:27:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Warm

Hair: Other, Straight, Medium

this stuff clears up acne like no other. it also helps with any other sores/wounds, and keeps them from getting infected.

actually, i love this mostly for the antiseptic smell... it smells just like a hospital. mmmmm.