4.6

on 9/28/2016 6:41:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I have used, its work, but not so good.

on 1/2/2012 11:16:00 AM

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

Somehow this broke me out even worse and did nothing for my skin. I had really high hopes for this product but all it did was disappoint

on 6/22/2009 12:54:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm

Update: This may work on cutting down acne, but it's too harsh on skin to use regularly. I have since stopped using it and have found a bit more relief w/ adding saw palmetto and a mask (Dark Angel by Lush) to my routine.

This stuff is no joke. Although I had pretty good results from Acne.org Cleanser, AHA, and BP; & it still seems like I'm barely winning the battle most days. I have been relatively patient b/c new cysts seems to die quicker, however it still doesn't seem to be really preventing new one's from developing.

I went out to my nearest Rite Aid to pick up a bottle Hibiclens after learning about it at Acne.org. I did as others suggested, cleanse w/ DK's Cleanser, then buffed w/ a non-abrasive facial sponge + Hibiclen. I left it on for 3 min then rinsed. I did get a mild amount of foaming w/ this method, unlike when just applying w/ fingers. It is also easier to keep away from the no-no areas when applying w/ a sponge or cloth. I follow w/ Decleor balm, AHA and spot w/ BP. No more scrubbing for me.

I think I might leave on for less time from now on. In any case, a developed cyst from today came to head w/in one wash, my overall tone was made very even and developing cysts seem to have stopped. All I can say is wow.

I'm only going to use this nightly, so not to overly dry my skin. I still think that DK's cleanser is good, but it's just not good enough to prevent breakouts. At least it doesn't add to it.

I think I can finally ditch the 2.5% BP, that has been causing red/brown discoloration in my skin. It is also not good to over use BP since it is an oxidant and slows skin healing. My skin is already starting to return to a normal color.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I took a chance on this cleanser after reading the reviews here because at my last visit with the derm, she told me the only other option left to treat my adult acne is Accutane, and I really do not want to take this medication. I have run the whole gamut with topical and oral treatment options including spiro. If you have any inclination to try this product and you have suffered from acne with little to no resolution, you may want to consider this cleanser.

This is a medical grade cleanser used for surgical prep, so it kills bacteria, viruses and fungi. Whatever the cause of your acne, it is likely to address it, unless it is hormone based. It's not aesthetically pleasing at all. It doesn't come in a pretty container, there's no pump (unless you purchase one separately), and it's dyed red. It also does not lather like many cleansers. With continued use, it is drying to your skin, will leave it dehydrated, so you will need to find good products to replace and maintain a moisture barrier. If your moisture barrier is compromised, then your skin is more susceptible to invading organisms, which in turn, will just increase your chances of more breakouts. It will also irritate your skin and make it red or redder than normal if you have that issue (which I do), so again, using a good follow-up moisturizing/rehydrating regimen is important.

I have been using this cleanser for about a month. I cannot explain how excited I am about the results. After using oral and topical antibiotics, sulfur based cleanser and spot treatments, benzoyl peroxide both prescription and OTC, tons of different cleansers and treatment regimens, I finally found something that works. I use it both AM and PM daily, but every 3rd or 4th day I switch off to a normal facial cleanser just to give my skin a break. I cannot say I have had no breakouts since starting this product. But, my breakouts have been much less severe with comedones not as deep or large as usual - even the cystic acne is better - I've had only 2 cystic ones since starting it. It also clears up body acne. I use this on my back, upper chest and shoulders with the same great results.

I tested some products to replace the lost moisture in my skin. I will list them below.

Pros:
Clears both facial and body acne fairly quickly
Inexpensive compared to many anti-acne cleansers
Has other uses as mentioned by the poster below (good basic antibacterial for many things)
Cleanser comes in different sizes

Cons:
Compromises skin's moisture barrier
Very drying and somewhat irritating to sensitive skin when used daily (just redness and dryness so far)
Red dye may stain surfaces and clothing (but not your skin)

UPDATE 1 week later: Stopped using the PC Moisture Barrier Correction Moisturizer - too heavy and 2 cystic acne blemishes developed. No new ones and the two are resolving since I stopped it.

Hylamide SQ and Sensitve Skin Booster continue to work well, but they do not completely hydrate my skin. I used the Innisfree Wine Jelly Sleeping Pack last night as directed. I put the Hylamide Sensitive Skin Booster over it - no other facial products. My skin was supple, firmer and more hydrated this morning. No negative reaction from it so far *knock on wood.

UPDATE: I have been using this cleanser for about 2.5 months now. I have also added the use of the Neutrogena Light Therapy Acne Mask (used it 2x a day for almost a week, then switched to once daily). This combo works very well. I have been able to reduce my use of this cleanser to only once a day. This has prevented my face from being so dehydrated, but kept the anti-acne effects going. Honestly, I anticipate being able to slow down using Hibilcens by the end of the month and just maintain with maybe 2x a week usage. The acne mask works that well.

I have been using the Ordinary 2% Retinoid with no problems, plus introduced the Ordinary's 30% AHA 2% BHA peel with no adverse reactions, overdehydrating, or sensitivity.

I have tested the following hydrators/moisturizers since the last update:

1) Avene Hydrance Optimale Serum - As a hydrator, I give this maybe 2 lippies. It has a heavy silicone feeling and does not hydrate well. It would be a good final product to seal in layered treatments though. Also works as a great makeup primer for oily skin - weird.

2) Nuxe Creme Fraiche de Beaute Masque - This is a wash-off hydrating mask that works very well. Directions state 10 min leave-on time, but I usually go for 20 with no negative results.

3) Innisfree Wine Jelly Sleeping Mask - This is another winner. Recommend++

4) Using First Aid Beauty Ultra Repair Cream for spot treatments on dry areas - works well

*At this strength, 4%, it is STRONG, medical grade, meant to begin killing on contact. You can easily dilute the soap which will not only reduce the risk of dry skin/compromised moisture barrier, but also reduce irritation.

*Avoid eye, vagina, inner ear contact (google product warnings)

*While your skin bacteria may develop resistance to Hibiclens, that can also happen with any antimicrobial product.

*There are many more natural antibacterial/acne products available that may be a better choice for many - including some oils and a balanced acne-prone skin care regimen - research to find what is best for your skin.

*I am now only using this on my body for bacne 2-3X a week. With continued use of the Neutrogena Light Therapy Acne Mask, a more balanced skin care regimen, getting my acne under control initially with this product, and stopping the layering of products, my facial skin is much better.

***Try Differin OTC first***

on 9/21/2014 10:49:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

This is just good to have around the house for any injuries, especially little boys with constantly scraped-up knees LOL. This doesn't hurt fragile or sensitive skin and kills germs. There is a red dye added, and this is useful because it's not a product to trifle with. You must keep this away from any mucousy areas - eyes, nose, mouth - and you don't want to let little kids use it without supervrsion. There's a slight medicinal scent, but it's not overwhelming or lasting. It's a very thin liquid, so a pump applicator would be really nice - I could only find the huge containers with a pump.

My acne has really improved lately, but I use this to wash my face once a week as a preventive measure. Also, I'll use it if something crops up, especially if there's any draining. Even after rinsing off, this continues to kill germs for hours. I've also heard of using Provodine (iodine) as a mask but I haven't tried it yet. I don't know if Hibiclens would prove irritating to skin if used daily, but I've never experienced irritation/pain/dryness.

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Warm

I'll take this stuff over any topical disinfectant I've ever had to try--and I've tried way too many of them! Benzoyl peroxide can go **** itself. What I like about this stuff is that alls I have to do is rinse my face with it and that's it. No redness, no burning, no irritation at all.

To make a long story short (or maybe i'm making it long) I've had some bad periods of cystic acne throughout my 20's and basically antibiotics, accutane, and spiro have been the only things that ever helped me control it. Needless to say, all of these drugs come with horrible side effects so I can't stay on them all the time. Anyways, ever since I was put on it (years ago) I've been trying to get off of spiro because it causes me upsetting side effects (even as it helps my acne) but I knew from past experience that, among other things, I break out REALLY BAD whenever I try to wean myself off it....in fact, my last attempt ended with me going right back on it and promptly doing a 6 month course of accutane....

Wisely, I decided what the hell, now that i've been perfectly clear for months and months why not give it another go? And while I'm at it, why not start using retin a after a years long hiatus? What could possibly go wrong? I totally freaked out when I got a face full of throbbing cystic acne (made a billion times worse after I stupidly rediscovered my love for roasted seaweed on the same weekend). Enter the Walgreen's version of Hibiclens. I've been using it for about a month now and I can't believe how effective it is! No, it doesn't eliminate cystic acne all on it's own but it's seriously THE MOST effective topical disinfectant I've ever come across!

In the morning I use it like a face wash (i nornally keep my face wash away from my eyes in the AM anyways) and at night I wash my face with Cerave and kinda wipe at it with one of those cotton rounds to remove my makeup and then I apply this stuff to my face and gently rinse it off. This stuff is great for preventing and treating ingrown hairs too.

Still, I gave it 4 sticks cause I actually prefer to use the Walgreens version due to the fact that it doesn't contain red dyes. Also, the bottle doesn't come with a pump dispenser--but it's also not neccesary (just makes it easier).

Also keep in mind, I'm still getting minor clogs (need to exfoliate) and the cystic acne (which i was terrified was back for good!) only completely stopped forming when i added vitamin D. I'm not sure if that will help anyone else but for me, D makes a HUGE difference in my crappy immune system's ability to fight acne. Sometimes I also swipe my face with a cotton ball soaked in warm water that has a big pinch of epsom salt in it<-----this sounds weird but look up the reviews; it helps as it supposedly draws out the impurities and it's also just great for oily skin.

on 10/8/2017 2:08:00 AM

This stuff has been a godsend for the hormonal acne that has erupted on my jaw and cheeks since I stopped taking the pill about a month ago.

Before turning to Hibiclens, I had tried benzoyl peroxide, AHAs, BHAs, drying lotion, oil cleansing, and hydrocolloid bandages. While none of these methods were completely useless, they were no match against the painful, cystic acne that I didn't even have when I was a teenager. It was red, full of pus, and made it painful to move my face.

Enter Hibiclens, which I randomly read about on reddit. You can buy it from Amazon on the cheap. Mine is the original red-coloured formula and it actually has pump for easier dispensing. The stuff I have dispenses as a foam.

Today was the fourth day in a row that I used Hibiclens. There are still cysts on my jaw and cheeks but I would say that 60-70% of them have cleared. Most are no longer swollen; they're now all quite flat and much less red than they were before. A week ago, I had about 20 blind/cystic pimples. Right now, about 5 of them are still visibly inflamed and slightly painful when touched. That's a huge improvement to me for sure.

I want to mention that I am EXTREMELY careful about applying this to my face. I'm terrified about its potential to cause perforated eardrums and blindness if it were to get in my ears or eyes, so I'm really deliberate about my application.

First, I cleanse with my normal cleanser. Then, I use a cotton round to apply Hibiclens to my jaw and cheeks. I leave the solution on my skin for a few minutes (5-10) before carefully removing it with a wet face cloth.

I've read comments saying that you're not supposed to apply anything over top of it (like, for example, some people say you're not supposed to wash with Hibiclens and then apply a moisturizer) as apparently this neutralizes the solution and thus renders treatment ineffective. But I don't know how true that is because personally, I've layered on things like moisturizer, sunscreen, and makeup once I've let my face dry. So, after I've done my Hibiclens wash, I wait about 20 minutes before applying moisturizer, sunscreen, and makeup and this has worked out just fine. I just don't like the idea of leaving my skin to shrivel up after doing such a drastic cleanse.

Considering that Hibiclens is probably doing some damage to my moisture barrier, I wouldn't recommend using this unless you're truly desperate. But for me, I couldn't even get 10% Benzoyl Peroxide to make a visible difference on my cystic acne, so I felt a more extreme measure was warranted. I'd rather baby my dry, vulnerable skin and be extra gentle with it for a long time going forward than feel as if I can't leave the house due to ugly, painful acne that's impossible to cover up with makeup.

So if you feel like you've tried everything out there to cure your painful, unsightly, cystic acne, and yet nothing has worked for you, I'd say give Hibiclens a shot. Just...ask your doctor first because of all the associated warnings.

on 5/29/2017 8:12:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure

This is a medical grade cleanser. My sister, a nurse practitioner told me about Hibiclens when I developed MRSA (scary stuff). Whenever I or my family has a cut, abrasion or infection, Hibiclens is my go-to cleanser.

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

For some reason commercial antiperspirants and deodorants make me smell sour once I start sweating. I have tried everything and am constantly paranoid that I stink. The other day someone raved about hibiclens on cafe for underarm issues so of course I went right out and bought it. I use it in the shower and use a nickel sized amount. It is really liquidy so is easy to waste if you're not careful. I leave it on my underarms while I wash my face and then rinse well. Ever since I have been using this I don't get any funky smell. I have used a different deodorant everyday just to see how it reacts and I haven't had any issues. This stuff is wonderful and has helped me get some confidence back

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium

I bought 4% Chlorhexidine wash under different brand as this is not sold in Australia but also has the red dye in it. I used it right away since the 2/12/16. This really surprised me that it's the least drying cleanser I have ever tried. It leaves my skin soft and clean, not stripped yet I can't feel a film coating my face. It hasn't had effect on my clog pores as of yet. But even for 2x daily, it feels very gentle. Don't get it in your eyes or ears though! I will keep using this. I transferred it into a smaller bottle to make it easier to control the amount coming out. Hopefully it'll become my HG! I use tretinoin cream at night afterwards but nothing in the am as my skin doesn't feel dry

Update 13/1/17
This face wash and a facial buffer (I use from The Body Shop) is heaven!! Literally clear up my skin. I still use tretinoin 0.05% only 1-2 x a week. Since adding in the buffer, it has made a significant difference. HG combo! Thank you Makeupalley, I wouldn't have known if it weren't for you! This product is so underrated!!

Update 24/1/17
I have forgone tretinoin completely and any other chemical exfoliation as well as "purifying" mask. It surprisingly has kept my clog pores and acne under control. I use it 2x a day (or more depending on if I'm sweating heaps - it's summer here- or just feel "gross") with the body shop facial buffer. I used it with foreo luna mini before and the result was ok but the buffer is more effective in exfoliating. I used to think that I need a foaming cleanser that rinses super squeaky clean as I had terrible breakout using a cream cleanser (Neutrogena acne cream cleanser, I'm looking at you!). This one has proved me wrong, with the elimination of the harsh surfactant (SLS) and addition of bacteriacidal agent (Chlorhexidine). Now I'm not entirely sure which one that really resolved my problem. Maybe both as my acne could be caused by bacteria and the harsh surfactant did not help with protecting my skin barrier either. The physical exfoliation from the buffer also helped tremendously, more so than from silicone material exfoliation (foreo).
Ps. This also saved me from a GP who insisted me to take an oral minocycline for an indefinite period. Don't get me wrong, I'm not against antibiotic when absolutely necessary. Since this is acne rather than internal problem, I figured that applying topical anti-bacterial should be just effective on the targeted area (face) and less harmful. I don't want to risk upsetting the balance of gut bacteria with oral antibiotic and the resistance that comes with it.