4.7

on 9/1/2015 7:18:00 AM

I feel very odd writing a review for a sanitizing wash, but this has made a difference in my life.

I actually first heard of this on MUA, someone had mentioned that washing with this after a shower can help to reduce odor especially if you are prone to sweating. Without getting into too much detail, I have had a problem with sweating all of my life. My sweating has always made me self-conscious of wet patches on my clothing and also made me hyper-aware of odors.

With diligent use of very strong antiperspirants applied in areas prone to the most sweating I can control it somewhat, but I am still conscious of odors which are more difficult to control and impossible to mask without a change of clothing or shower. It is not about hygiene, I shower obsessively, use cleansing wipes while at work and other methods of sweat control and odor removal/masking. It was getting to the point where I would have to bring a change of clothing to work with me just so I could wear fresh clothing and feel less self-conscious.

When I tried Hibiclens it was a night and day difference in my life. Yes, I still sweat profusely, but I can no longer detect any odors, and it is so relaxing being able to go about my day knowing that there is no smell. I apologize if this is all a bit TMI, but for some people who are affected like this, it can be life changing to have the confidence to walk past someone closely without worrying about whether they can smell anything. I shower, dry myself off, then apply a very thin layer of Hibiclens (being careful exactly where I apply it, this stuff is strong!) I find that if I rinse it off then its effectiveness is lessened although not reduced entirely.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

I've been battling what I thought was cystic acne lumps on my face for years now. I've always been prone to skin infections but I thought it was just my hormones or thyroid acting up. Tired of dealing with this crap on my face, I sought out a holistic doctor who finally correctly diagnosed me with a chronic staph (not MRSA thank god). My nose was colonized, likely from spending a lot of time in hospitals with my mom who had battled cancer for 4 years.

My doctor told me to use this on my face twice daily plus on my body to decolonize myself. the soap itself controls infection for about 6 hours. I have to say, it's been a lifesaver for me, my skin, my confidence. I'm supposed to continue using this for 6 months to a year to prevent recolonization which is common among those who get staph infection very easily. I went on amazon and bought a huge jug of this for less than $20 that I can reuse to fill up smaller bottles. Walgreens and CVS both sell a version without dye if you have problems with dyes.

If you have adult cystic acne that wont clear up using traditional acne medications or seems resistant to antibiotics, get your nose and lesions swabbed and cultured for staph. Everyone has it on their skin but immune diseases (I have Hashimoto's) make you much more susceptible to infections. I use this soap in conjunction with providone iodine as a mask on my face and my skin looks amazing, I feel good about myself and now I know my mystery is solved so if I have another infection, I know what to look for. I think I will continue using this cleanser for a long time. It doesn't dry my skin out and is now my first line of defense against getting another infection.

Ladies, stop stripping your skin of much needed oils and protection it needs. I see so many women overusing exfoliants and then complaining about acne. It a vicious cycle. If you already have a staph infected acne lesion scrubbing your face and Salicylic/AHA acids will actually make it spread and get worse. It definitely did in my case.

My Holistic doctor prescribed this regimen for me:

Wash twice a day with hibiclens
Provodine iodine as a mask, must leave on until its completely dry (It dries out lesions and prevents infections from spreading from other parts of the face. Iodine kills every pathogen known to man and even MRSA is not resistant to it.
I wash off the iodine with a Gentle non drying cleanser, I do not scrub use anything with beads, granules etc, no sulfates.
Apply diluted mix of Lavender oil, tea Tree oil, Calendula oil mixed with a carrier oil. I use Hemp seed oil/argan oil mix or if I feel really dry I use Jojoba oil.

At night and in the winter I use a barrier cream to protect my face.

I've eradicated pretty much all infections and acne on my face. I keep my skin moisturized at all times. I use nivea cream or in the warm months I use Alba Green tea and aloe moisturizer.

I was told to never exfoliate with harsh scrubs again or I could get it to come back .when you exfoliate you open up your skin to infection. Instead I use hemp oil and put it on my face and then using a hot soft cloth I steam and most of the dead skin comes off without ever scrubbing a thing. I know its hard to get out of the exfoliation habit as its pushed on us beauty queens but I think its done far more damaged to my skin then helped. Im just happy I found Hibilclens and I believe I may be using this forever now!!

hibiclens is used in hospitals for a reason and for many medical professionals it is the first line of defense against infections spreading in clinical settings. I also understand it's a cure for bacterial vaginosis according to websites and I've used it safely as a feminine wash during that TOM when you have that not so fresh feeling. Now that Im decolonized finally, I am still using this on my body once a week for prevention.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

OMG this stuff is AMAZING at helping clear up my acne!! I hated using BP because its so drying and I read that it is actually a pro-oxidant which attracts free radicals that cause damage to the skin. So, I was looking for an alternative after making a mess of my skin trying the Oil Cleansing Method (which does not work for everyone!). I have gotten pretty good results with salisyclic acid treatments over the years but it wasn't working as well this time around. So, after reading up on it, I picked up some Hibiclens from my drugstore for $5 (its in a blue bottle usually near the bandaids) and it has literally changed my skin. It healed some lingering cysts, it has decreased my blackheads and I haven't had a white head since I started using this. The cons....DO NOT GET IT IN YOUR EYES or EARS. Its a pink thin liquid so you have to be careful. I use a buff puff single, put hibiclens on it, scrub my face---then using my fingers, I massage it into my skin for 2 minutes to give it time to kill the bacteria. Then I rinse and rinse. I also use a suncreen with spf 30 during the day and a good moisturizer at night. My skin is soft, not dry at all and so darn clear I just might go out in public without make up on!! I wish I'd known about this sooner. I guess better late than never--just for reference, I'm 36 with fair pale combination skin that is prone to acne. I know what a struggle it is to deal with acne, so I hope this helps if you're having issues with it, like I was.
EDIT: I have found that even if you don't want to use this as a face wash, it is still perfect for SPOT TREATMENT. It will get rid of a cystic acne spot almost overnight. I used to treat these spots with BP and it would typically take 2-3 or 4 days for it to go away and would always leave my skin very dry. Now, I just dab a bit of this on and by morning its usually on its way to being GONE...without the dry flaky skin that I was used to dealing with from BP. So, however you choose to use it, it is sooooo worth having in your medicine cabinet!

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium Brown, Not Sure

For over 9 years I have been battling with atopic dermatitis in my scalp that continues to get infected with staph. I have been back and fourth to the dermatologist and my physician (A total waste of time). I've done countless hours of researching the Internet, trial and error, hundreds of dollars wasted, and sleepless nights (ever tried sleeping with fluid leaking from your scalp?) Nasty! Finally I ran across a site and someone suggested using hibiclense on the scalp. So yesterday I tried it (I know it says not to use on head), but this stuff is heaven sent. For the first night in months I could sleep peacefully. It has dried up all the runny sores in my head (eww) or should I say (yay). It's only been 1 full day and I am definitely happy with the results. If you suffer with atopic dermatitis or folliculitis give this stuff a try, you won't be disappointed.

on 7/22/2011 11:28:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

This stuff is amazing. It's a miracle product for me in fact.

I've tried every over the counter acne treatment and every drugstore cleanser, lotion, cream etc. I was also on a fairly strong anti-biotic for acne for a couple of years. Those worked at the time but I wasn't able to continue them.
My acne flared up again and it was getting to the point where I was waking up to a new patches of very sore spots and painful cystic spots, everyday. It started to really get me down.

I came across Hibiclens, (Hibiscrub in the UK), whilst desperately googling for something new to try. I got hold of some straight away and started using it twice a day. The very next day my skin had started to clear up. In 5 days it was 80% clear and in 2 weeks every single spot had gone. I still had a few reddish marks where they had been but within 2 months all those had gone too. It's been 4 months now and I don't have acne anymore. I get the odd 'normal' looking spot just before my period but it goes in a couple of days.

I have normal skin for the first time in 15 years and I put that down to using Hibiclens.

I use twice a day.I always wash my make up off first with a paraben free, oil free gel cleanser, then palm some of the red liquid and apply carefully with my fingers. I work it into a white creamy lather on my skin before adding a little water to foam it up slightly. Then finally squeeze eyes and mouth shut and rinse my cheeks with hot water, making sure to get it all off. As it continues to work over some hours, I don't moisturise at night so nothing can interfer with the process.

It is not made as a facial skin product so use with some caution. Don't get it anywhere near your eyes (screw them up tight and rinse very carefully), or your mouth and nose. It's very runny so you may find it easier to apply with a cotton pad depending on where you want it to go. The bottle can be awkward but easily dispensed into a little travel bottle with a pump if you like.

I would never be without it now. I wish I'd found it years ago.

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

For some reason commercial antiperspirants and deodorants make me smell sour once I start sweating. I have tried everything and am constantly paranoid that I stink. The other day someone raved about hibiclens on cafe for underarm issues so of course I went right out and bought it. I use it in the shower and use a nickel sized amount. It is really liquidy so is easy to waste if you're not careful. I leave it on my underarms while I wash my face and then rinse well. Ever since I have been using this I don't get any funky smell. I have used a different deodorant everyday just to see how it reacts and I haven't had any issues. This stuff is wonderful and has helped me get some confidence back

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Warm

I'll take this stuff over any topical disinfectant I've ever had to try--and I've tried way too many of them! Benzoyl peroxide can go **** itself. What I like about this stuff is that alls I have to do is rinse my face with it and that's it. No redness, no burning, no irritation at all.

To make a long story short (or maybe i'm making it long) I've had some bad periods of cystic acne throughout my 20's and basically antibiotics, accutane, and spiro have been the only things that ever helped me control it. Needless to say, all of these drugs come with horrible side effects so I can't stay on them all the time. Anyways, ever since I was put on it (years ago) I've been trying to get off of spiro because it causes me upsetting side effects (even as it helps my acne) but I knew from past experience that, among other things, I break out REALLY BAD whenever I try to wean myself off it....in fact, my last attempt ended with me going right back on it and promptly doing a 6 month course of accutane....

Wisely, I decided what the hell, now that i've been perfectly clear for months and months why not give it another go? And while I'm at it, why not start using retin a after a years long hiatus? What could possibly go wrong? I totally freaked out when I got a face full of throbbing cystic acne (made a billion times worse after I stupidly rediscovered my love for roasted seaweed on the same weekend). Enter the Walgreen's version of Hibiclens. I've been using it for about a month now and I can't believe how effective it is! No, it doesn't eliminate cystic acne all on it's own but it's seriously THE MOST effective topical disinfectant I've ever come across!

In the morning I use it like a face wash (i nornally keep my face wash away from my eyes in the AM anyways) and at night I wash my face with Cerave and kinda wipe at it with one of those cotton rounds to remove my makeup and then I apply this stuff to my face and gently rinse it off. This stuff is great for preventing and treating ingrown hairs too.

Still, I gave it 4 sticks cause I actually prefer to use the Walgreens version due to the fact that it doesn't contain red dyes. Also, the bottle doesn't come with a pump dispenser--but it's also not neccesary (just makes it easier).

Also keep in mind, I'm still getting minor clogs (need to exfoliate) and the cystic acne (which i was terrified was back for good!) only completely stopped forming when i added vitamin D. I'm not sure if that will help anyone else but for me, D makes a HUGE difference in my crappy immune system's ability to fight acne. Sometimes I also swipe my face with a cotton ball soaked in warm water that has a big pinch of epsom salt in it<-----this sounds weird but look up the reviews; it helps as it supposedly draws out the impurities and it's also just great for oily skin.

Guys...I have tried tens of products over the years, battling blackheads, red angry pimples, and the dreaded cystic acne that has left pits on my cheeks. My father said in passing one time to try Hibiclens. He had been advised to use it for something else, I believe, other than the facial area, but that's what he and I religiously use it for now!!!
My skin is genuinely 98% clear now. I kid you not. Battling with drying creams and ointments is gone. Also, after doing some research on this product, do NOT get this in your eyes, ears, nose, mouth, etc. I just take a bit in my hands, rub on my face, and use my Clarisonic Mia brush for 1 minute. It's actually used in surgical settings and there's no need to let it sit on your face/skin for minutes at a time. It can effectively kill bacteria in about the time it takes to wash your hands (part of its original purpose). Additionally, it continues to kill bacteria for 6 hours after it's on your skin, so covering it with multiple other chemicals, such as moisturizer, etc will actually minimize its effectiveness. All I can say is while I wish I'd found out about this product years ago, I am truly grateful for the amazing skin it's given me today!

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I took a chance on this cleanser after reading the reviews here because at my last visit with the derm, she told me the only other option left to treat my adult acne is Accutane, and I really do not want to take this medication. I have run the whole gamut with topical and oral treatment options including spiro. If you have any inclination to try this product and you have suffered from acne with little to no resolution, you may want to consider this cleanser.

This is a medical grade cleanser used for surgical prep, so it kills bacteria, viruses and fungi. Whatever the cause of your acne, it is likely to address it, unless it is hormone based. It's not aesthetically pleasing at all. It doesn't come in a pretty container, there's no pump (unless you purchase one separately), and it's dyed red. It also does not lather like many cleansers. With continued use, it is drying to your skin, will leave it dehydrated, so you will need to find good products to replace and maintain a moisture barrier. If your moisture barrier is compromised, then your skin is more susceptible to invading organisms, which in turn, will just increase your chances of more breakouts. It will also irritate your skin and make it red or redder than normal if you have that issue (which I do), so again, using a good follow-up moisturizing/rehydrating regimen is important.

I have been using this cleanser for about a month. I cannot explain how excited I am about the results. After using oral and topical antibiotics, sulfur based cleanser and spot treatments, benzoyl peroxide both prescription and OTC, tons of different cleansers and treatment regimens, I finally found something that works. I use it both AM and PM daily, but every 3rd or 4th day I switch off to a normal facial cleanser just to give my skin a break. I cannot say I have had no breakouts since starting this product. But, my breakouts have been much less severe with comedones not as deep or large as usual - even the cystic acne is better - I've had only 2 cystic ones since starting it. It also clears up body acne. I use this on my back, upper chest and shoulders with the same great results.

I tested some products to replace the lost moisture in my skin. I will list them below.

Pros:
Clears both facial and body acne fairly quickly
Inexpensive compared to many anti-acne cleansers
Has other uses as mentioned by the poster below (good basic antibacterial for many things)
Cleanser comes in different sizes

Cons:
Compromises skin's moisture barrier
Very drying and somewhat irritating to sensitive skin when used daily (just redness and dryness so far)
Red dye may stain surfaces and clothing (but not your skin)

UPDATE 1 week later: Stopped using the PC Moisture Barrier Correction Moisturizer - too heavy and 2 cystic acne blemishes developed. No new ones and the two are resolving since I stopped it.

Hylamide SQ and Sensitve Skin Booster continue to work well, but they do not completely hydrate my skin. I used the Innisfree Wine Jelly Sleeping Pack last night as directed. I put the Hylamide Sensitive Skin Booster over it - no other facial products. My skin was supple, firmer and more hydrated this morning. No negative reaction from it so far *knock on wood.

UPDATE: I have been using this cleanser for about 2.5 months now. I have also added the use of the Neutrogena Light Therapy Acne Mask (used it 2x a day for almost a week, then switched to once daily). This combo works very well. I have been able to reduce my use of this cleanser to only once a day. This has prevented my face from being so dehydrated, but kept the anti-acne effects going. Honestly, I anticipate being able to slow down using Hibilcens by the end of the month and just maintain with maybe 2x a week usage. The acne mask works that well.

I have been using the Ordinary 2% Retinoid with no problems, plus introduced the Ordinary's 30% AHA 2% BHA peel with no adverse reactions, overdehydrating, or sensitivity.

I have tested the following hydrators/moisturizers since the last update:

1) Avene Hydrance Optimale Serum - As a hydrator, I give this maybe 2 lippies. It has a heavy silicone feeling and does not hydrate well. It would be a good final product to seal in layered treatments though. Also works as a great makeup primer for oily skin - weird.

2) Nuxe Creme Fraiche de Beaute Masque - This is a wash-off hydrating mask that works very well. Directions state 10 min leave-on time, but I usually go for 20 with no negative results.

3) Innisfree Wine Jelly Sleeping Mask - This is another winner. Recommend++

4) Using First Aid Beauty Ultra Repair Cream for spot treatments on dry areas - works well

*At this strength, 4%, it is STRONG, medical grade, meant to begin killing on contact. You can easily dilute the soap which will not only reduce the risk of dry skin/compromised moisture barrier, but also reduce irritation.

*Avoid eye, vagina, inner ear contact (google product warnings)

*While your skin bacteria may develop resistance to Hibiclens, that can also happen with any antimicrobial product.

*There are many more natural antibacterial/acne products available that may be a better choice for many - including some oils and a balanced acne-prone skin care regimen - research to find what is best for your skin.

*I am now only using this on my body for bacne 2-3X a week. With continued use of the Neutrogena Light Therapy Acne Mask, a more balanced skin care regimen, getting my acne under control initially with this product, and stopping the layering of products, my facial skin is much better.

***Try Differin OTC first***

on 11/24/2015 10:39:00 AM

Had the worst acne of my life after using clarasonic. It literally looked like my skin was burned off and every pore was clogged. I literally cleared it by using noxema bacteria clearing cleanser, this wonderful cleanser, and cure zone silver gel as my moisturizer. This literally made all my pimples disappear overnight. This will be my new regimen.