Filtered by age: 44-55

on 5/29/2017 8:12:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure

This is a medical grade cleanser. My sister, a nurse practitioner told me about Hibiclens when I developed MRSA (scary stuff). Whenever I or my family has a cut, abrasion or infection, Hibiclens is my go-to cleanser.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I took a chance on this cleanser after reading the reviews here because at my last visit with the derm, she told me the only other option left to treat my adult acne is Accutane, and I really do not want to take this medication. I have run the whole gamut with topical and oral treatment options including spiro. If you have any inclination to try this product and you have suffered from acne with little to no resolution, you may want to consider this cleanser.

This is a medical grade cleanser used for surgical prep, so it kills bacteria, viruses and fungi. Whatever the cause of your acne, it is likely to address it, unless it is hormone based. It's not aesthetically pleasing at all. It doesn't come in a pretty container, there's no pump (unless you purchase one separately), and it's dyed red. It also does not lather like many cleansers. With continued use, it is drying to your skin, will leave it dehydrated, so you will need to find good products to replace and maintain a moisture barrier. If your moisture barrier is compromised, then your skin is more susceptible to invading organisms, which in turn, will just increase your chances of more breakouts. It will also irritate your skin and make it red or redder than normal if you have that issue (which I do), so again, using a good follow-up moisturizing/rehydrating regimen is important.

I have been using this cleanser for about a month. I cannot explain how excited I am about the results. After using oral and topical antibiotics, sulfur based cleanser and spot treatments, benzoyl peroxide both prescription and OTC, tons of different cleansers and treatment regimens, I finally found something that works. I use it both AM and PM daily, but every 3rd or 4th day I switch off to a normal facial cleanser just to give my skin a break. I cannot say I have had no breakouts since starting this product. But, my breakouts have been much less severe with comedones not as deep or large as usual - even the cystic acne is better - I've had only 2 cystic ones since starting it. It also clears up body acne. I use this on my back, upper chest and shoulders with the same great results.

I tested some products to replace the lost moisture in my skin. I will list them below.

Pros:
Clears both facial and body acne fairly quickly
Inexpensive compared to many anti-acne cleansers
Has other uses as mentioned by the poster below (good basic antibacterial for many things)
Cleanser comes in different sizes

Cons:
Compromises skin's moisture barrier
Very drying and somewhat irritating to sensitive skin when used daily (just redness and dryness so far)
Red dye may stain surfaces and clothing (but not your skin)

UPDATE 1 week later: Stopped using the PC Moisture Barrier Correction Moisturizer - too heavy and 2 cystic acne blemishes developed. No new ones and the two are resolving since I stopped it.

Hylamide SQ and Sensitve Skin Booster continue to work well, but they do not completely hydrate my skin. I used the Innisfree Wine Jelly Sleeping Pack last night as directed. I put the Hylamide Sensitive Skin Booster over it - no other facial products. My skin was supple, firmer and more hydrated this morning. No negative reaction from it so far *knock on wood.

UPDATE: I have been using this cleanser for about 2.5 months now. I have also added the use of the Neutrogena Light Therapy Acne Mask (used it 2x a day for almost a week, then switched to once daily). This combo works very well. I have been able to reduce my use of this cleanser to only once a day. This has prevented my face from being so dehydrated, but kept the anti-acne effects going. Honestly, I anticipate being able to slow down using Hibilcens by the end of the month and just maintain with maybe 2x a week usage. The acne mask works that well.

I have been using the Ordinary 2% Retinoid with no problems, plus introduced the Ordinary's 30% AHA 2% BHA peel with no adverse reactions, overdehydrating, or sensitivity.

I have tested the following hydrators/moisturizers since the last update:

1) Avene Hydrance Optimale Serum - As a hydrator, I give this maybe 2 lippies. It has a heavy silicone feeling and does not hydrate well. It would be a good final product to seal in layered treatments though. Also works as a great makeup primer for oily skin - weird.

2) Nuxe Creme Fraiche de Beaute Masque - This is a wash-off hydrating mask that works very well. Directions state 10 min leave-on time, but I usually go for 20 with no negative results.

3) Innisfree Wine Jelly Sleeping Mask - This is another winner. Recommend++

4) Using First Aid Beauty Ultra Repair Cream for spot treatments on dry areas - works well

*At this strength, 4%, it is STRONG, medical grade, meant to begin killing on contact. You can easily dilute the soap which will not only reduce the risk of dry skin/compromised moisture barrier, but also reduce irritation.

*Avoid eye, vagina, inner ear contact (google product warnings)

*While your skin bacteria may develop resistance to Hibiclens, that can also happen with any antimicrobial product.

*There are many more natural antibacterial/acne products available that may be a better choice for many - including some oils and a balanced acne-prone skin care regimen - research to find what is best for your skin.

*I am now only using this on my body for bacne 2-3X a week. With continued use of the Neutrogena Light Therapy Acne Mask, a more balanced skin care regimen, getting my acne under control initially with this product, and stopping the layering of products, my facial skin is much better.

Try Differin OTC first.