Hibiclens Antiseptic Skin Cleanser

Filtered by age: 36-43
 Hibiclens Antiseptic Skin Cleanser
Hibiclens Antiseptic Skin CleanserHibiclens Antiseptic Skin CleanserHibiclens Antiseptic Skin Cleanser

4.6

Active ingredient: Chlorhexidine gluconate solution 4.0 w/v. Inactive Ingredients: Fragrance, gluconolactone, isopropyl alcohol 4 w/v, lauramine oxide, poloxamer 237, purified water, and red 40.

I bought this hoping to find something that would miraculously clear my bacne that I've suffered from for over 20 years now. I'm 36, if that matters.
I started using this a week ago, give or take a day or two and was currently dealing with some awful, ugly pimples in my armpit area and an awful breakout on my back. And before anyone reads this thinking it's some skin rotting flesh disease of the armpit, whatever it's called IT'S NOT!! The breakouts on my armpits are not painful at all, there's no nasty foul smelling fluid leaking from my pits that signifies an infection and it doesn't look like my flesh is rotting so no, it's not some skin rotting condition that is affecting my armpits/groin whatever other area of the body that skin condition affects. And yes, it is completely possible to experience actual acne in the armpit area without it being some skin rotting condition.
Anyways, I started using this last Tuesday IIRC. And that is when the breakouts on my face started, I broke in spots on my face I NEVER break at such as my nose (the one on the side of my nose is huge and red! I'm so embarrassed), between my brows, above my mouth and cheek area and a small smattering of tiny angry red whiteheads on my forehead. Even as a teen I never broke out on my forehead and yet, there's a breakout there. It's as if this crap is literally feeding my acne. I used it on my armpit breakout also and overnight the red angry pimples on my pits were bigger and way more red. And they're still there, a week later. My face was clear before using this. And then I had to fvck up my face after so much work I put into clearing my facial acne by thinking my face could benefit from Hibiclens. And now I have to figure out how to undo all the damage I did thanks to this useless shit. Clearly I'm pissed as I write this review with tears of anger and frustration streaming down my face, if you couldn't tell.
Oh, and my bacne? Yeah, Hibiclens made it way worse. I thought the breakout on my back was pretty bad and that it couldn't get any worse. I was wrong. This stuff caused more bacne. Oh, and I'm also dealing with a breakout on my chest too since I thought my chest would benefit from this awful crap since I do occasionally get very minor breakouts there too and I do tend to get an oily chest area just like my back.
If you made it this far, please heed my caution and take into account my experience with Hibiclens. I will only be using a Sulfur based wash from here on out since it seems that's the only thing that really seems to help my acne/bacne.
I feel so pissed and frustrated cause of how bad my facial acne is now, acne I didn't have before using this and the fact that Hibiclens made my bacne and armpit breakout worse. I now know the only 2 options I have left to clear my bacne and body acne is Spironolactone and Accutane since I've tried every acne treatment out there, both OTC and Rx (birth control, Differin, antibiotics, etc).
I now have nearly a gallon jug of this stuff, unopened and a small bottle I bought from Walgreen's thinking this stuff would be the miracle cure I needed to finally clear my bacne. And I'm pissed cause that's money I can't get back and I can't use this stuff or else I risk more breakouts.
The thing that makes me cry is reading all the glowing reviews. The ones where they saw immediate results in a matter of hours and even days and all I can do is think "why can't this be me?" Don't get me wrong, I'm happy for those that have had way worse acne than me and finally found their miracle product. But, why can't this be my miracle product too?
I want to continue for another week, I'm trying to talk myself into not quitting so soon into using this. I may or may not depending on how bad my facial breakout gets. If it gets any worse then I will need to stop using this.
I will come back and update this review if I do end up sticking with it.

on 8/25/2018 6:09:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Coarse

I use the foam dispenser version. I shower w/ my normal body wash then apply Hibiclens under my pits while I finish up in the shower then rinse. No more must! Ever since I had DD, no deodorant/antiperspirant can control my pit funk. This stuff does.

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

For some reason commercial antiperspirants and deodorants make me smell sour once I start sweating. I have tried everything and am constantly paranoid that I stink. The other day someone raved about hibiclens on cafe for underarm issues so of course I went right out and bought it. I use it in the shower and use a nickel sized amount. It is really liquidy so is easy to waste if you're not careful. I leave it on my underarms while I wash my face and then rinse well. Ever since I have been using this I don't get any funky smell. I have used a different deodorant everyday just to see how it reacts and I haven't had any issues. This stuff is wonderful and has helped me get some confidence back

Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

This antimicrobial soap saved my skin! I struggled with stubborn chest acne for several years. I tried all the usual treatments and nothing worked. Thank God my dermatologist recommended Hibiclens. In two weeks it cleared my skin! I've been using it for about 4 years and can not live without it.

If you are struggling with stubborn acne PLEASE give this a try. Here's a more in-depth review:

This stuff is amazing! I suffer from conditions which I don't care to discuss that necessitate me to shower w this after my bath&bodyworks or VS shower gel I use a travel sized spray bottle (shake it up) to mist this into a more frothy lathery foam. It does not easily lather; it is a runny thin liquid. The trade name product has a bright red dye. Rinse it all down the drain to avoid staining fiberglass shower stalls. Not sure how this would react to porcelain. Use caution it staining ur tub or tile or shower it could I'm just warning you. It will come out with bleach on linens. That is why it is why it is prudent to use white wash rags/towels. After I spray this all over in the shower, I let it sit a couple mins & then I rinse it all off. I was rec'd to shower w it by 2 physicians or if u want it more frothy u can mix half dial anti back liquid soap w this. Do not get it in ur ears--potentially causes deafness! & do not get it in ur eyes, nostrils, nor mouth neither althou they use this as an irrigation sanitizer in root canals at dentists offices so I guess it's not totally poisonous but they have the techs rinse it off (combo this & chlorine it smells like the pool from dear sweet Hades every time I've had my root canals.) You could use this as a small spot treatment but it is meant to be washed off. It is the exact same thing used in institutions as what surgeons scrub in now with instead of bedadine. Exercise extreme caution w this around your face or lovely lady parts/if you are a boy your junk; ...& the rear end. Sorry I don't meant TMI but you need to know this if you plan on showering w it. It is kept behind the pharmacy counter sometimes you have to ask for it althou it is non prescription (OTC). It is some serious stuff, don't play around w this stuff. It's common sense too type precautions but do a bit more research on it than a few MUA reviews b4 u try it. Consult w a health care professional is what I suggest. Don't be afraid of it but do use it judiciously & be diligently reverent about it not meant for casual use but soaking a hang nail in this a couple of times a day will keep the staph out of it sounds trivial but this is a really good use for it we all know how much we hate hangnails/paper cuts buy it just for those if only for nothing else! Every house should have this as a first aid agent. You know those hang nails & paper cuts can be wicked painful. I also healed my feet up from an overzealous pedicurist who scraped off too much callous kept me from getting a bad MRSA bout n my immune system is weak u can pick up all kinda things from salons I learned my lesson I coulda gone sepsis without Hibclens! I'm sworn off pedi manis at salons this really shook me up too it scared the mother load out of me badly! My feet are red & throbby but it never spread past my heels up my leg it's been a couple of weeks I heal very slowly but I can tell ya it may have turned out to be a serious infection w/o Hibclens. It does dry ur skin but to be expected. A large bottle is about $18. I pour it into a small spray trigger travel bottle I keep refilling. I keep the big bottle on the side of my sink & after I've been in public ESP church Christian Meetings shaking hands or shopping touching anything first thing I do when I come into the house is liberally lather my hands w hot water & Hibclens then I can prevent things like colds, flu, etc coming in contact w the public. I lather for a couple of mins then rinse n dry my hands w a paper towel. I didn't have any bad colds this past winter much. I didn't get gastroenteritis nor influenza. So that's something I'm very diligent I insist on washing up good w Hiblcens after being in contact w the general public. It's my OCD kicking in lol!!

on 9/1/2015 7:18:00 AM

I feel very odd writing a review for a sanitizing wash, but this has made a difference in my life.

I actually first heard of this on MUA, someone had mentioned that washing with this after a shower can help to reduce odor especially if you are prone to sweating. Without getting into too much detail, I have had a problem with sweating all of my life. My sweating has always made me self-conscious of wet patches on my clothing and also made me hyper-aware of odors.

With diligent use of very strong antiperspirants applied in areas prone to the most sweating I can control it somewhat, but I am still conscious of odors which are more difficult to control and impossible to mask without a change of clothing or shower. It is not about hygiene, I shower obsessively, use cleansing wipes while at work and other methods of sweat control and odor removal/masking. It was getting to the point where I would have to bring a change of clothing to work with me just so I could wear fresh clothing and feel less self-conscious.

When I tried Hibiclens it was a night and day difference in my life. Yes, I still sweat profusely, but I can no longer detect any odors, and it is so relaxing being able to go about my day knowing that there is no smell. I apologize if this is all a bit TMI, but for some people who are affected like this, it can be life changing to have the confidence to walk past someone closely without worrying about whether they can smell anything. I shower, dry myself off, then apply a very thin layer of Hibiclens (being careful exactly where I apply it, this stuff is strong!) I find that if I rinse it off then its effectiveness is lessened although not reduced entirely.

on 9/21/2014 10:49:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

This is just good to have around the house for any injuries, especially little boys with constantly scraped-up knees LOL. This doesn't hurt fragile or sensitive skin and kills germs. There is a red dye added, and this is useful because it's not a product to trifle with. You must keep this away from any mucousy areas - eyes, nose, mouth - and you don't want to let little kids use it without supervrsion. There's a slight medicinal scent, but it's not overwhelming or lasting. It's a very thin liquid, so a pump applicator would be really nice - I could only find the huge containers with a pump.

My acne has really improved lately, but I use this to wash my face once a week as a preventive measure. Also, I'll use it if something crops up, especially if there's any draining. Even after rinsing off, this continues to kill germs for hours. I've also heard of using Provodine (iodine) as a mask but I haven't tried it yet. I don't know if Hibiclens would prove irritating to skin if used daily, but I've never experienced irritation/pain/dryness.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

I've been battling what I thought was cystic acne lumps on my face for years now. I've always been prone to skin infections but I thought it was just my hormones or thyroid acting up. Tired of dealing with this crap on my face, I sought out a holistic doctor who finally correctly diagnosed me with a chronic staph (not MRSA thank god). My nose was colonized, likely from spending a lot of time in hospitals with my mom who had battled cancer for 4 years.

My doctor told me to use this on my face twice daily plus on my body to decolonize myself. the soap itself controls infection for about 6 hours. I have to say, it's been a lifesaver for me, my skin, my confidence. I'm supposed to continue using this for 6 months to a year to prevent recolonization which is common among those who get staph infection very easily. I went on amazon and bought a huge jug of this for less than $20 that I can reuse to fill up smaller bottles. Walgreens and CVS both sell a version without dye if you have problems with dyes.

If you have adult cystic acne that wont clear up using traditional acne medications or seems resistant to antibiotics, get your nose and lesions swabbed and cultured for staph. Everyone has it on their skin but immune diseases (I have Hashimoto's) make you much more susceptible to infections. I use this soap in conjunction with providone iodine as a mask on my face and my skin looks amazing, I feel good about myself and now I know my mystery is solved so if I have another infection, I know what to look for. I think I will continue using this cleanser for a long time. It doesn't dry my skin out and is now my first line of defense against getting another infection.

Ladies, stop stripping your skin of much needed oils and protection it needs. I see so many women overusing exfoliants and then complaining about acne. It a vicious cycle. If you already have a staph infected acne lesion scrubbing your face and Salicylic/AHA acids will actually make it spread and get worse. It definitely did in my case.

My Holistic doctor prescribed this regimen for me:

Wash twice a day with hibiclens
Provodine iodine as a mask, must leave on until its completely dry (It dries out lesions and prevents infections from spreading from other parts of the face. Iodine kills every pathogen known to man and even MRSA is not resistant to it.
I wash off the iodine with a Gentle non drying cleanser, I do not scrub use anything with beads, granules etc, no sulfates.
Apply diluted mix of Lavender oil, tea Tree oil, Calendula oil mixed with a carrier oil. I use Hemp seed oil/argan oil mix or if I feel really dry I use Jojoba oil.

At night and in the winter I use a barrier cream to protect my face.

I've eradicated pretty much all infections and acne on my face. I keep my skin moisturized at all times. I use nivea cream or in the warm months I use Alba Green tea and aloe moisturizer.

I was told to never exfoliate with harsh scrubs again or I could get it to come back .when you exfoliate you open up your skin to infection. Instead I use hemp oil and put it on my face and then using a hot soft cloth I steam and most of the dead skin comes off without ever scrubbing a thing. I know its hard to get out of the exfoliation habit as its pushed on us beauty queens but I think its done far more damaged to my skin then helped. Im just happy I found Hibilclens and I believe I may be using this forever now!!

hibiclens is used in hospitals for a reason and for many medical professionals it is the first line of defense against infections spreading in clinical settings. I also understand it's a cure for bacterial vaginosis according to websites and I've used it safely as a feminine wash during that TOM when you have that not so fresh feeling. Now that Im decolonized finally, I am still using this on my body once a week for prevention.

on 6/15/2013 8:30:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other

I don't know how you can give a bad review on Hibiclens (active ingredient is Chlorhexidine, you can get generic form or in lesser concentrations). Hibiclens ts a necessity in clinic/hospitals. Great and gentle cleanser for those who are prone to skin infections--bacterial/fungal/and some viral. Regular use prevent recurring infections. It doesn't sting at all on wounds. All drugstores have the generic form which works the same, few dollars cheaper and doesn't have the red color additive Hibiclens add.

on 5/13/2011 1:57:00 AM

I have very sensitive armpits and can't even use a typical deodorant, not to mention antiperspirant. I'm currently using Kiss My Face Liquid Rock Deodorant with good results, but ever since the weather warmed up, I start to stink by the end of my workday.
I bought Hibiclens at Target, applied it for 2 minutes under my arms in the morning, rinsed off and applied Kiss My Face. 12 hours later still no stink. I'm impressed. I'll repurchase, definitely.