Filtered by age: 19-24

4.3

on 10/8/2017 2:08:00 AM

This stuff has been a godsend for the hormonal acne that has erupted on my jaw and cheeks since I stopped taking the pill about a month ago.

Before turning to Hibiclens, I had tried benzoyl peroxide, AHAs, BHAs, drying lotion, oil cleansing, and hydrocolloid bandages. While none of these methods were completely useless, they were no match against the painful, cystic acne that I didn't even have when I was a teenager. It was red, full of pus, and made it painful to move my face.

Enter Hibiclens, which I randomly read about on reddit. You can buy it from Amazon on the cheap. Mine is the original red-coloured formula and it actually has pump for easier dispensing. The stuff I have dispenses as a foam.

Today was the fourth day in a row that I used Hibiclens. There are still cysts on my jaw and cheeks but I would say that 60-70% of them have cleared. Most are no longer swollen; they're now all quite flat and much less red than they were before. A week ago, I had about 20 blind/cystic pimples. Right now, about 5 of them are still visibly inflamed and slightly painful when touched. That's a huge improvement to me for sure.

I want to mention that I am EXTREMELY careful about applying this to my face. I'm terrified about its potential to cause perforated eardrums and blindness if it were to get in my ears or eyes, so I'm really deliberate about my application.

First, I cleanse with my normal cleanser. Then, I use a cotton round to apply Hibiclens to my jaw and cheeks. I leave the solution on my skin for a few minutes (5-10) before carefully removing it with a wet face cloth.

I've read comments saying that you're not supposed to apply anything over top of it (like, for example, some people say you're not supposed to wash with Hibiclens and then apply a moisturizer) as apparently this neutralizes the solution and thus renders treatment ineffective. But I don't know how true that is because personally, I've layered on things like moisturizer, sunscreen, and makeup once I've let my face dry. So, after I've done my Hibiclens wash, I wait about 20 minutes before applying moisturizer, sunscreen, and makeup and this has worked out just fine. I just don't like the idea of leaving my skin to shrivel up after doing such a drastic cleanse.

Considering that Hibiclens is probably doing some damage to my moisture barrier, I wouldn't recommend using this unless you're truly desperate. But for me, I couldn't even get 10% Benzoyl Peroxide to make a visible difference on my cystic acne, so I felt a more extreme measure was warranted. I'd rather baby my dry, vulnerable skin and be extra gentle with it for a long time going forward than feel as if I can't leave the house due to ugly, painful acne that's impossible to cover up with makeup.

So if you feel like you've tried everything out there to cure your painful, unsightly, cystic acne, and yet nothing has worked for you, I'd say give Hibiclens a shot. Just...ask your doctor first because of all the associated warnings.

on 2/4/2014 11:02:00 PM

I have begun using this as a facial cleanser at night and after one use I noticed far less many clogged pores, red bumps, I suffered from comedonal acne (small colorless clogged pores) on my forehead all my teens and now into my early twenties and had never been able to find a solution until now. One use and my forehead SMOOTHED OUT.

But acne isn't the real reason why I wanted to review this stuff, my acne isn't that horrible. I recently contracted a staph infection in a hair follicle in a place that shall not be named. So I swelled up into a painful boil and I had to get the thing lanced (cut open) and then drained which was an amazingly painful experience. Anyhoo, I gently washed the incision with hibiclens the first night and saw some dramatic difference in how well the incision was healing, it was good. Then throughout the day it started to close up little by little and I noticed that the boil had become a little swollen again, so I rushed home and cleaned myself with a warm rag, squeezed the pus/blood out of the boil, then washed with Hibiclens. The next day, the incision did not hurt, there was no lump from the boil, and the area had turned back to my normal pale skin color instead of insanely red and angry. The boil continues to drain and I will continue to doctor it with this stuff. If you've ever had a boil lanced you'd know that anything that prevents having to lance it again is a LIFE SAVER.

Also, you do not have to leave this product on your face. Hibiclens is used in medical facilities, and this is a fast acting agent. Simply wiping it off of your skin with a wet cloth does not remove the medicine from your pores. To add, this medicine stay in your skin and is active for up to 6 hours after usage, and the action is actually inhibited by using other products with it. So, after you cleanse your skin with this do NOT add a moisturizer or follow up product, you will be decreasing the effectiveness of the medicine.

on 1/2/2012 11:16:00 AM

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

Somehow this broke me out even worse and did nothing for my skin. I had really high hopes for this product but all it did was disappoint

on 9/8/2011 3:36:00 PM

I started using this as a last resort. I have been getting staph infections on my face for about 3 years now. I've seen numerous derms and they have really not done a thing for me. My last derm even joked about me being his patient for life. Needless to say, I was pretty desperate. I read online that Hibiclens could help with skin issues, including acne, which I can say has pretty much ceased since using this, even though that was not my main goal. (Not complaining!)
BOTTOM LINE: My skin is soft, clear, and healing from my last infection. I usually would have another one by now, but my skin is clear. I'll update eventually.

on 12/13/2010 4:34:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

Walgreens is now making a version of this that is $3-4 cheaper, has the same percentage of active ingredient, and DOES NOT INCLUDE RED DYE, which has been a problem for those of us who are sensitive to it. I bought Hibiclens to deal with a mild bout of folliculitis (caused by staph bacteria) on my legs. It wiped the infection out within a day, and I will always be keeping a bottle of this around to prevent any further infections. I could not use the original Hibiclens for my acne because the red dye broke me out horribly, so I'm really excited about the Walgreens version. I'm going to try this for my body acne for a couple of weeks and will update if I see any problems or improvements. As far as I can tell from the Acne Detective list, it does not have any known comedogenic ingredients (http://www.zerozits.com/Articles/acnedetect.htm) . The Walgreens version also foams up a bit more than the brand version, which is nice.

on 1/15/2009 9:50:00 PM

I read about this on acne.org. I do not really have acne, but I am more of a preventative type person who likes to stop problems before they start. But I do get about one breakout a month, usually around my chin. To be honest, I was very afraid to use this stuff in the beginning because of all the warnings. You have to be extra careful not to get it into your eyes, ears, or mouth. At first, I used it in the shower after my usual cleanser, because they say this stuff works on the skin for 6 hours after washing (so it's still fighting bacteria). But I hated that it would run all over my face and had the potential of getting into a place it shouldn't. So, I actually started using it as a spot treatment/mask. I wash my face as usual, and then I apply a very thin layer of this, being careful not to apply too much and make it runny. My face has been erupting(thanks to Paula's Choice BHA 2% liquid). I had this one bump on my cheek for probably a month that just looked like a clogged pore--not red or anything, but the BHA made it come out, and that thing was VISCIOUS. It never came to a head, and in my 24 years I have never had a blemish as bad as it. I had it for almost 3 weeks and thought it was going to stay forever, and then I started putting this on it, and it is almost gone. It helped tremendously. Give it a shot, and good luck!