E.L.F. Studio Translucent Mattifying Powder-- ALL SHADES

elf translucent powderStudio Translucent Mattifying Powder-- ALL SHADES

3.6

Price: $

Price: $

Mica, Talc, Zinc Stearate, Titanium Dioxide, Silica Dimethyl Silylate, Nylon-12, Hydrogenated Polyisobutene, Synthetic Fluorphlogopite, Dimethicone, Sodium Dehydroacetate, MAY CONTAIN Iron Oxides (CI 77491 CI 77492)

on 2/19/2017 11:04:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

I've only used this once- over tinted BB cream/moisturizer and it did not control oil well at all - maybe an hour for me. It does mattify on application, but all powders do until they settle. I sprayed mist & set to set this and I will admit, it looked great right after application.

However, like others mentioned - after about an hour on my skin - i noticed that this powder - in the color translucent (only color offered) -oxidized pretty tan on my face. Enough so that my face and my neck were like two different tones. I've never had a powder do that with my BB and tinted moisturizer, so I know it was this powder. Actually, I'm normally pretty pale because my BB cream/tinted moisturizer is lighter than my natural skin tone and more yellow-based. I normally look deathly ill after applying my BB, and need products to warm up my tone. So, I was bummed that this powder turned so tan - had it darkened just a little bit, it would have been perfect for my bright BB cream, but it was pretty tan.

I will say - besides the oxidation - i loved how this powder gave some coverage over my BB compared to the elf HD sheer powders, which are my go-to. This powder will help give you a little more coverage, which is what I was also looking for, but didnt stay mattified, which was the whole purpose. But because it gave my skin a nice second coverage (i have clear skin, combo, but some acne scars, redness, and melasma). I found that it didnt gather in any creases except my deep forehead crease (but ALL things do) or make my skin flake, and i have combo/shiny/dry skin, which can flake badly. I will also mention that I have super sensitive skin, and this did not make my skin itch or react, which says a lot for anyone with skin sensitivity issues.

I'd love if there was more product in this compact, the design is so sleek (like elf's individual blushes and contour) and really reminds me of NARS. However, its tiny for just one side filled with product. This was only $3 for .13 oz but for $2 you can get e.l.f.'s prime and stay powder that is .17 oz and the fair/light shade is a little less tan/dark in the pan than this one and hopefully wont oxidize near as much. Will try that next!

If you want something handy for travel or your purse, want some coverage and dont require heavy coverage (and may be a bit more tan or self-tan), this may be worth grabbing for that price. It wont keep you matte, but it will make your face set and look pretty pulled together.

EDIT: I ended up popping out the internal compartment and tossing the powder after trying to use this over bare skin. It mattified nicely but still left my skin a bit tanner/oranger than norm. So, I'm using it empty to store my e.l.f. blotting sheets - which fit nicely when folded in half (they pop up nicely when I open the compact). Perfect holder with a great mirror for when I need to blot!

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

I picked this up for $4 in Target. I don't care for it. If you have dry skin and/or fine lines this powder is going to call attention to it. I find it settles into the fine lines and makes them so noticeable which other powders that I own do not do, and it also makes my normal/dry mature skin look dull and old looking. My bare skin with zero makeup on looks a million times better than with the ELF Translucent Powder. As far as the "translucent" part goes.... no, I agree with many of the other reviewers that it is not translucent at all, it has an obvious orange cast to it, and that's bad for any skintone. I only use powder to set my foundation and give my skin a finished look, and since my skin leans towards dry, I couldn't tell you whether or not it gives good oil control.

I will say though, I love the packaging. They give you such a nice size mirror. I'll keep it in my purse and use it just for the mirror..... and when you think about it you couldn't find even a small mirror for 4 dollars..... so it's not a total waste.

on 12/3/2016 12:35:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

I like this powder. I use it under my eyes to set my concealer and I love it. It does very well under flash photography. I really like it. I would defffff repurchase.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

This is fine, not the best, not the worst. The price is, of course, very appealing but also a bit misleading, because you don't get a lot of product and half the compact is taken up by a sponge space. The actual powder is kind of small and if you have a bigger powder brush it may require more effort to get the product up.
The actual powder doesn't seem totally translucent to me, it has a faint hint of color but doesn't look cakey or mask-like on my face, it blends smoothly. It does mattify well, and last a decent length of time but if you're oily skinned it can only do so much for so long.
I like the formula and the compact actually looks pretty sleek, but I've only been using this about ten days and it's already halfway gone, so I think I will stick to other powders that maybe cost a bit more but contain more product.

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Warm

A great replacement for my loose setting powder - the HD version, also from ELF.
I got this mattifying powder in Tinted, as I tend to get tanned easily, and it does make the safest bet. It helps my skin staying matte after 5hours outside, but it doesn't stand against sweat (my country is really humid and some days might make you so sweaty, so...). After 5 hours, I usually need to touch up.
I don't find this powder to reflect weird things in the camera or anything. It also doesn't cause breakout on my sensitive skin. However, if you plan on using this powder on its own, it's not gonna give any coverage.

i just got this im not really a fan im a caramel skin tone and after I apply this I have to put a colored powder on top so that I don't look like I have chalk on my face.

Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm

I have used this product for years, because it's light enough to set foundation without adding any heaviness to the finished look. There's nothing worse than looking like you're wearing a kabuki mask. Eww.

That's why I love this translucent powder. It gives a simple, soft look that can be used to set makeup, or even just used by itself to look fresh faced. But be careful; if you apply this in order to cover imperfections, you WILL get that dreaded mask face.

There's really no way around it. So if you're looking for more coverage from a pressed powder, E.L.F. has some really great ones, so go for those instead of picking up this one.

*Note: Don't be alarmed by the light look of the translucent powder. I'm an NC35, and this is perfectly fine and blends great, as long as it's used in moderation and for its intended purpose.

For once this is not going to b a good review. I like Elf and their cruelty free awesomeness but this powder was a miss 4 me. It looks pretty in person but other powders look better. It's the white out. I like the pale look, I am fair skinned. But The color is weird and it whites you out and looks horrible in pictures. It does the job setting makeup tho. It may work for some people but on my skin it looks aweful.

Hair: Brunette, Other, Fine

I used this with a brush to set my foundation, which worked well for me, but it didn't really control my oiliness. Not wowed, but also not disappointed with the product. The reason I wouldn't purchase this again was because the packaging seems really excessive for so little product. That felt wasteful to me.

on 6/25/2015 12:09:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

This powder is great for blotting on oily areas. I'm very fair, and the powder looks scarily dark on the sponge, but if I just dab it on with the sponge it doesn't make my skin look orange. I got it on sale 40% off, so it was an amazing value. The packaging feels sturdy and it comes with a nice mirror.