E.L.F. Studio Lengthening & Volumizing Mascara

Studio Lengthening & Volumizing Mascara

2.6

Price: $

Price: $

Aqua(Water), Caprylic/Caprictri Glycerides, Cera Carnauba (Carnauba) Wax, Synthetic Beeswax, Styrene/Acrylates/Ammonium Methacrylate Copolymer, Stearic Acid, Cetyl Alcohol, Glyceryl,Stearate SE, PVP, Triethanolamine, Triacontanyl PVP, Hydroxyethyl Cellulose, Benzyl Alcohol, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone May Contain: Iron Oxides(CI 77891, CI 77892, CI 77899)

on 5/1/2017 3:12:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Update : Wore it today and added a star. easily obtains more impact than Maybelline full n soft which is my 'safety' mascara. IMO this deserves kudos for being a third of the price. I do have to remind myself to wiggle the wand, as I got nowhere doing my normal swipe from end to end.
---------
Original review
I have short stubby sparse Asian lashes that point downward and oily eyelids that accentuate smudging. I need to curl before and after mascara application.

I have the ELF lengthening and volumizing mascara that says "new formula." Incidentally the box also says "new brush design." I bought it in an ELF store where the SA assured me this was NOT waterproof.

It takes a lot of wiggle side to side action to deposit any product on the lashes. I normally forget to wiggle and just stroke through. ( that doesn't work here). To elf's credit, instructions on the box state the way to apply this is to wiggle. I think they actually say use zig zag application. (I would never have thought to look for instructions on how to apply mascara, but I was looking for a written assurance that this was not waterproof).

This was the first time applying any mascara, that I didn't need to wipe the wand - it looked like there was product on the wand, but not much excess. It separated lashes and added more length. This doesn't add as much volume as length, but it's not clumpy or crunchy. It doesn't make my lashes look weirdly spidery and skinny like Tarte. It also doesn't seem to be wet and it didn't smudge or flake. The aesthetic is on the natural side, but it is buildable. I like the spiral bristle wand. Nice shape, no dangerous pointy bristles, slightly tapered (like a short French rolling pin).

I did have an older tube of ELF LV that I recall didn't do anything for my lashes, but I am positive that I just tried to stroke it on as per usual. (I would have given a one star to my old tube) so this "new formula" (and my actually reading the instructions) is a vast improvement. This removes with my Bliss lid and lash gel remover: let the remover sit there for a few seconds before wiping. No rubbing necessary.

on 2/14/2017 12:44:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Grey, Straight, Medium

I'm a big fan of e.l.f. make-up cosmetics but this mascara is a total failure. It simply does not cover your lashes and when you try hard to make it show, you end up with clumpy lashes that stick together. I've given it three "chances" and then just threw it away. Good thing it only cost me something like 3 dollars! DO NOT WASTE your money!

Skin: Combination, Other, Cool

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

If I could give this stuff a zero rating I would. Firstly, this stuff flakes like crazy. I tried everything I could think of to maybe slow the flaking down but nothing worked. I wouldn't recommend contact lens wearers to even touch this stuff.

Secondly, the wand is way, way, WAY too long. I felt like the brush end was miles away from the end of the handle and it was hard to manipulate. The brush was nice and tiny to get those little lashes at the inner corners of my eyes but that was it.

The one good thing I found was the formula was just wet enough to feel comfortable going on and dried relatively quickly.

I wouldn't rebuy this if it was the last mascara on the planet.

on 1/21/2015 2:27:00 PM

Skin: Other, Medium, Not Sure

This mascara claims it volumizes & lengthens but it really doesn't. It is great though for a natural look, I use it on the days that I want a no makeup look. It's similar to an old Neutrogena mascara I used to use, can't remember the name though, natural something or other. The packaging is a bit odd, it's opposite from most mascaras, instead of the handle being the short it's the longer side of it. For $3 I'll definitely buy again

on 1/12/2015 4:17:00 AM

Although the formula is good the wand handle seems to bump into my cheekbones when I use this mascara. I would try a different elf mascara.

on 10/11/2014 4:34:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Medium Brown, Not Sure

It was okay, but how I used it I used another mascara first to simply separate my lashes then I'd apply this on top of it, and it would give my lashes more length and volume. One thing, it does dry up pretty quickly.

Hair: Brunette, Other, Medium

This would be ok for a young girl. I could barely get it on and couldnt see it well when I did. It was only a dollar tho so cant complain much.

on 4/29/2014 5:18:00 PM

Okay so the main reason I love this mascara is for the natural look it gives. It's amazing for one of those "no makeup-makeup" looks. The formula, even in the color black, is so light and free it never looks too dramatic. I usually just put this on if I'm in a rush or just don't feel like trying and it makes your eyes pop a bit more. I also like putting a bit of this on the lower lash line. That's pretty much it for the good side of this. The mascara clumps like crazy if you put too much on or more than you're supposed to. It limits how much you can put because the bristles on the brush are so spread apart it doesn't get all the lashes in between. Also, if you couldn't tell already, don't and I repeat, don't use it for a dramatic look. And don't overcoat. Also curling before applying this makes a difference cause there really is no true volume. In all I would probably still repurchase this.

on 10/23/2013 3:26:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Other, Wavy, Coarse

I like the natural definition this mascara gives. I can use it on lazy days when all I want is some mascara to make my eyes pop more. It does not smudge, and is very easy to remove.

on 10/22/2013 4:36:00 PM

This really works for me as an everyday mascara. It darkens my lashes and makes them look a tiny bit longer. Best of all, the smudging is minimal! And it is CHEAP! However, I wouldn't use it for a special occasion because it doesn't add volume at all.