Yves Saint Laurent Rouge Volupte - Fetish Pink #8

4.2

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Silver, Other, Other

The R&D Dept at YSL knocked themselves out with this formula; it's actually a semi-solid (imho), as opposed to a regular, solid lipstick. I was initially put off by this new lipstick entry 'cause the testers at Sephora (Boston Pru) are so gross. They're mushed & disgusting because, as I said, the softness of the formula cannot be overstated! I don't blame the people who tested (& ruined) them because how would they know you can't apply it like a normal lipstick? If you *do,* you'll smush it. You have to apply it gently or pat it on or (best option) brush it on.

Anywho, "zelora" described #8 perfectly on the general review section of this lipstick. She said it's a "balanced" pink, & that's right on target: not too bright & not too timid - a perfect, mid-range pink. And not overly cool or warm. I'd say it's in the middle there, too. I really love it. The YSL site says it becomes a liquid when it touches your lips. Well, not quite, but that's sort of what it feels like; definitely in a class by itself.

Finish: I'd call it a satin finish. Definitely not very shiny, but not matte either. This is my favorite finish for a lipstick because I think it's a very natural look & also gives the illusion of plumpness. (of the lips!)

Staying power: excellent. It lasts & lasts, and when it finally wears off a bit, it does it in a very nice way. Your lips look like they have a stain on them that's worn off a bit, but in a good way . . . in a way that says, "Yeah, so my lipstick isn't freshly applied every minute of the day - I guess I have better things to do."

i was fortunate enough to receive this in a swap, as they are quite expensive [$34]. this is a cool tone creamy opaque barbie pink. it's very "out there." with colors like these i find that the best way to wear them is sheered down with a gloss on top. i do like the fact that this has spf 15 built in. the packaging is pretty heavy and somewhat decadent. i don't like the smell of these at all. it's a little too floral for my tastes. fortunately the smell goes away when you top it off with a gloss. i probably would not actually purchase this as it is quite expensive. plus, i've found a other more wearable and less expensive lipsticks to fulfill my babydoll pink lip desires [mac's realdoll & nars roman holiday].

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

Ah! I love this lipstick so much. (SEE PIC ABOVE! This color is #3 in the lineup, top row. **pic is from temptalia.com!)
A perfect choice for my 100th review!!

So to update, you can find another of myRouge Volupte reviews for Peach Passion #13, and like this review will be, it is glowingly positive.

While I definitely love both lipsticks, I'm partial to this color most of all. This pink is truly perfect and VERY pink. It's a cool/blue-based pink, but it's super creamy and has this "oomph" factor i love. I just purchased another blue-ish pink (YSL #22 Pink Celebration, Rouge Pur lipstick, see review!), but this one is more creamy and brighter. It's also just altogether different.

Like Peach Passion, this color is very vivid and bright, but not OTT. I find PP to be a bit more "neon". This pink is like the color of a Barbie pink, but it has a sophistication to not be "neon" or "hot".

Texture: Unfailingly emollient. It stays on, even after eating and even wiping my lips off, but before you wipe it off, it will still be smooth/creamy MANY hours past application. This is just amazing to me. And no single sign of flaky skin on the lips or that awful "ring" inside your lips where the lipstick is clumpy/white. (People on MUA always told me that's a sign of not having enough moisture in your lips and to use a balm; well, i've never found that to work. IME, lipsticks that cause that will cause it no matter what (usually after 1-2 hours of wear) and with YSL RV, you do not get that ring no matter what! I am not doing anything differently, so I definitely think it's the lipstick quality).

Other factors: of course cost is a factor at current price of $34 USD. But again, what is out there that is truly lovely for only $34? Even a tee shirt from a higher-end store is at least that much.

Packaging: I love it, but it's ornate. I said this in my #13 review, but it's kind of a beautiful "indian jewel" theme to me. Very pretty and I love the color band that displays the lipstick color exactly.

Overall: I would highly recommend this lipstick. I hope it's permanent since I think YSL has really hit on something nice here.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Gorgeous creamy opaque pastel pink (love the texture of this) It's a really perfect ice cream-pink, but on my skin NC20 it does go on a bit too cool to be flattering, I can see the lilac undertone once it's on my lips which are kind of naturally coral i guess. I wouldn't particularly recommend this to people with yellow undertones (unless you're tan!). That said, I wear it. Finally, the packaging is absolutely GORGEOUS.

Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure

I really really wanted to like Fetish Pink. I even had dreams about it when I saw Temptalia wearing it in her blog. I ordered this one and Peach Passion and I can't say that I love this one. It's just way OTT bright and cool. Unfortunately, I'm a warmie (NC35) so I couldn't pull this one off w/ all of its purple undertones. I normally am okay when it comes to cool pink lippies but this one was too cool. I'm sorry to say that I may be returning it. It's pretty unwearable at least for me. Otherwise, the formula is really nice, very creamy. The smell of it also draws me back. It smells like old lady perfume.

Best pink ever!! Been wearing it for years!! Very pigmented and super creamy. LOVE.

Amazing and so worth the $$$. Extremely creamy and does not feather over the course of the day. I would absolutely purchase again!

Unfortunately I was unable to swatch this and had to rely on online swatches for this online purchase. It's a whole lot more "barbie pink" than I was expecting, so while I'm not a huge fan of it on its own on my lips I really don't mind it at all layered with other lip colours in my stash. I'm in my 40's so think I have been there and had my blue/pink barbie lipstick days already and have many other colours that are more flattering on me.

The formula though is exactly what you would expect from YSL, I really do think they win hands down every time on the most gorgeous formula lipsticks that just glide on and feel good. They don't seen to ever do that goopy thing when they wear off. For such a creamy formula they do manage to stay put for quite some time.

If you're a sucker for luxe packaging like me you'll love YSL.

I was looking for the perfect barbie pink for my skin tone and this was the ticket! I have very yellow undertones so any blue toned lipsticks look like death on me, but this one works really well. It's gorgeous!

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

HG LIPSTICK! So beautiful and creamy! It even smells nice (rare in a lipstick). I just adore the pink colour, and the packaging is beautiful. Love the mirror on top!