Hourglass Veil Mineral Primer SPF 15

Hourglass Veil Mineral Primer SPF 15

3.8

Active Ingredients: Zinc Oxide 4.20%, Titanium Dioxide 2.45%. Other Ingredients: Cyclopentasiloxane, Isododecane, Polysilicone-11, Polymethylsilsesquioxane, Hexyl Laurate, Peg-10 Dimethicone, Polyglyceryl-4 Isosterate, Stearic Acid, Alumina

on 8/25/2016 12:05:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I've had this product for a while and it's been underutilized but I am reaching for it more and more. It provides a weightless canvas for my Chanel Perfection Lumiere, Nars Luminious or Koh Gen Do foundations. These are all light coverage so the primer polishes the finish without the look of more makeup. Just a little bit is needed and it goes on like silk. Has the added benefit of SPF but my moisturizer does that job. My foundation not only looks smooth but it adds a touch more luminosity and it lasts through an entire day. Well worth the price. Sometimes the pump gets stuck but the packaging is otherwise ok.

Hourglass has truly made an impact in the world of cosmetics at least for me anyways. When I first tried this primer a few years back I wasn't impressed by it. However, over time I grew to love this gem !. Now it's a # 1 in my primer collection. In the summer months I love this a lot because it never lets me down. It's like liquid silk that veils your face and it hides imperfections allowing anything you put on top to look flawless. One of the qualms I know can be troublesome with this product is the fact it does look rather ghostly on application. However, I do find it helps to make you look more even when you put a foundation overtop. Price wise is a bit steep but I'd be willing to pay for it. It does hold your makeup on even through very physical moments. I've got combination skin and while the oil does come through slightly it's not going to affect your foundation. Definitely worth the investment !.

To Read all 413 Reviews, Login or Join

on 8/17/2016 7:09:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

Hourglass comes out with a smaller number of products every year, but I've noticed most of them have a niche and perform well (I have mainly used their complexion pro). This primer is an excellent base for everyday, because it does what it says and I appreciate that in products.

The consistency is silicone based, but has mineral sun protection and a little 1/2 pea size will cover my entire face. So even though it's expensive it lasts a whole year or more for me. It works great as a primer and holds my make up in place, I have oily acne prone skin and this makes my makeup last long 12-16 hour days. I like the way my skin looks even at the end of the day and it keeps my blush, highlight and bronzer from becoming patchy or non-existent.

I bought this primer because I was experiencing breakouts and realised my foundations were seeping into my pores causing build-up (even after thorough removal & cleansing). I heard this was a good base to protect the skin and it's true when I wear this I don't usually break out and my pores are clear/ not so congested.

The only thing is that it has a white cast due to the sunscreen, which can make you look ashy. But any medium to full coverage foundation will cover that up.

I love Hourglass and will keep repurchasing the Mineral Veil.

on 8/11/2016 6:07:00 PM

I really do like this primer. It's the only one that covers up my gigantic, crater-like pores around my face (not even porefessional could do it from Benefit), and it helps to hold on the foundation without it oiling away. It covers up impurities nicely and lets the foundation glide nicely over it.

However - the price for a full bottle is a joke, which is why I have a small bottle of 10ml and only use it on special occasion.

on 8/6/2016 1:03:00 PM

Fortunately I bought the Mini size and it was purchased during a sale.

I definitely wouldn't invest in this although im sure I'll use up my small tube.

This product is SO hyped and I learned I need to take base product rave reviews with a grain of salt because everyone has different skin. My skin is a textured mess of fine lines, large pores, acne scarring, and it is oily. This primer doesn't do anything. It doesn't fill in pores or lines. It *feels* good on the skin and maybe does some slight color correcting bc it's a little bluish on me from the minerals-- so foundations that are orangey look a bit more neutral. I don't think I get oily as quickly wearing this primer verse not wearing this primer. So there's that.

In all this is super underwhelming. Mac oil control lotion does more than this. Nyx primers do more than this. Not entirely sure what this is meant to do. But meh.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral

I really wanted to love this after reading reviews so I skipped straight to buying a full size. Years later I still have the bottle, which I probably used it 3 times.

The formula and ingredient list are NOT worth the price. Hourglass Mineral Veil Primer is more like a lotion than actual primer. It did nothing for my pores/fine lines. The priming properties are non-existent to me, although it did add some moisture.

The SPF 15 in it is more of a liability than actual pro. SPF15 is not nearly enough to protect you from UVA rays. Even if it was - you'd have to apply a 1/4th tsp to get that amount of advertised sun protection. Now if that wasn't bad enough, keep in mind that the UV filters can render the UV filters in your separate sunscreen useless. :\ It really depends on the filters and chemical interaction. But I always apply chemical sunscreen before make up and would rather not risk it.

Now for my biggest complaint - the ingredient list sucks. I can not believe they charge so much for a product made with dirt cheap ingredients. THIS STUFF IS NOT ANY BETTER THAN THE DRUGSTORE OPTIONS. I'm basing this con on fact, not opinion.

Hourglass Mineral Veil Primer ingredient list: Cyclopentasiloxane, Isododecane, Polysilicone-11, Polymethylsilsesquioxane, Hexyl Laurate, Peg-10 Dimethicone, Polyglyceryl-4 Isosterate, Stearic Acid, Alumina

Google for a dupe... there are plenty at a fraction of the cost. I personally won't be listing any because I would not want to dupe this! But for those of you out there that do like it, go for it.

I will not be repurchasing.

on 7/9/2016 11:13:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

I have combination skin, and very large pores.

I must admit, I have been very impressed with how it covers up my pores!

Cons: not convinced it really improves the longevity of my make up; it can actually form a layer and 'crack', leaving obvious gaps between your foundation/primer layer vs underlying skin; does not prevent your skin from getting very oily around the T zone. It makes my make up cakey. Also, it dries really quickly - and when I put my foundation on top, sometimes it applies patchy. (I might have to resort to doing my face in sections of primer/foundation, since it dries so quickly).

This product is expensive. It is $28 for less than 9ml (smaller than a finger) and $108 for 57grams. If I pay this much for a primer, I expect that it would do its job.

Unfortunately, this does not live up to the hype.

on 7/9/2016 12:27:00 AM

Upon reading reviews of this primer I was excited to try it out. Instead of purchasing the entire bottle I went to my local Sephora and received a small sample. While I do enjoy this primer initially, I found that after a few hours my foundation would smear from an accidental swipe on the face. Or if I happened to have a particularly persistent itch and would scratch it, I would find foundation under my fingernails. I am aware that is because I itched my face; but of all the other primers I have tried I would not have that much come off. I get particularly oily on my nose after a couple of hours and have to blot. I find that when I blot the foundation comes off on the paper. I will praise this primer because it does mattify my face a lot more than other primers and is silicone free.

I use a higher end foundation (Dior DiorSkin Forever Perfect Makeup in 021 Linen) and that, combined with the price of this primer, I would expect the makeup on my face to survive through rain, snow, wind, sweat, etc.

on 7/7/2016 5:07:00 AM

I live in a very humid country and there isn't a day where you do not perspire, so it is very crucial to get hold of a great primer to prevent my skin to become oily easily. Apparently, this product failed terribly at not only preventing oiliness, it also did not help to minimise my pores after a few hours, and even made my foundation melt of rather easily. I personally do not think that the price is worth paying for for this kind of result. Utterly, disappointed.

on 7/7/2016 4:35:00 AM

This is my absolute FAVOURITE primer. As someone who has had to fight their way through a number of primers in order to find one that wouldn't break me out, this was a dream come true. On top of that, as someone who works in a kitchen, I found this to be the only primer to date that has held my foundation in place. It is lightweight, makes my skin feel crazy smooth, and spreads so well; a little goes such a long way! Only downfall is the price - as a Uni student I can no longer afford the $80 price tag for such a small amount of product :(