Shea Terra Organics Rose Hip & Red Bush African Black Soap Face Wash

Shea Terra Organics Rose Hip & Red Bush African Black Soap Face Wash

4.3

deionized water, african black soap, shea butter, coconut oil, rose hip, red bush tea, oat straw, carrot powder, acerola, citric acid.

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other

This is one of the best face washes that I have tried for my combo, acne-prone skin. I get pretty bad hormonal breakouts, but let's be real, I have skin issues & blemishes through the entire month and I've used everything from salicylic acid to benzoyl peroxide, etc. I often find acne washes really harsh and they end up drying out my skin, but i actually really liked this.

To give you an idea of my skin type---combination, super acne prone, and when I wear makeup I wear a FULL FACE.

This wash smells really earthy and light, it's a natural, pleasant smell, but it doesn't smell perfumed or heavy. The wash itself is dark brown, as you'd expect black African soap to be. I have tried a lot of black African soaps from different companies, but this is the first that I've used a liquid version. The instructions say to leave this on your skin for a few minutes, and then rub to exfoliate. I will normally put this on as I brush my teeth, and then wash it off. I was SHOCKED at how squeaky clean it left my skin, but with all the natural oils in it, it didnt dry out my skin either. This is the first time I've experienced squeaky-cleanliness without the dry flakiness. So far, I am loving this, and I've been using it about 2 months. Definitely would recommend!! It is so effective at cleaning that it even remove my makeup & foundation. LOVE!

on 1/16/2017 10:38:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

I love Shea Terra Organics' products, and I was excited to try this facial cleanser. Unfortunately, it just wasn't for me. I had trouble keeping it out of my eye area where it would sting. Otherwise, it seemed to work just fine. Less sensitive types would probably love it. That's why I still gave it three lipsticks. It's a good basic product for non-sensitive types. I'll use up what I have as hand soap. However, I won't repurchase.

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium Brown, Neutral

Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse

One of my favorite face washes! I have dry, acne prone skin and this does a great job of keeping my face looking great without being irritated or feeling stripped. The bottle sucks to travel with so I put it in a travel toothpaste bottle for when I am away from home. Most nights I just apply it to my face and rinse off but when I am noticing dullness I let it sit a couple minutes until my face looks red. I love that if I use this after an oil based cleanser it foams up and feels like I get a really good clean. I do hate that after using it though my cotton rounds for my toner are always black despite feeling like I had rinsed everything off before

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Not Sure

This stuff is awesome for my oily and acne prone skin. It clears out all the dead skin left on my face and gets it ready to apply moisturizer. I wouldn't really say this is a cleanser that you would use to wipe off makeup more of a face mask that you leave on for three minutes or so. Definitely will buy again!!

on 12/9/2015 10:13:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

I have used this for several months. It gives you a great clean, but leaves my face feeling slightly taut and like I HAVE to moisturise. My other gentle cleansers do not give me this feeling.

I find this is good as a weekly mask or spot treatment for breakouts. It has a high pH level which prompted me to leave it for a while, and which explains the dry, taut feeling after use.

I suppose what I'm trying to say is that it does clean your face - but I dislike the tight feeling it leaves me with. Alkaline products do this, and your skin should be slightly on the acidic side (ph 4-5.5) instead. I love that is comprised of minimal, natural ingredients. But I can't get over the horribly tight feeling! Worth giving it a shot though, and worst case scenario, you can always use it sparingly and over spots instead of your entire face.

Also one disadvantage I have is, living in Australia, it is incredibly difficult to buy! I know of only one stockist that charges shipping each time unless you buy over $100 worth of goods. So personally speaking, not the most sustainable face wash. There are better ones available where I live that are more widely available too.

on 12/4/2014 6:51:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Medium Brown, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Kinky, Coarse

I could've really used this eons ago when I would follow any recommendation and buy any product promising to control oil and end breakouts. Not too sure I believe in the black soap enthusiasm but this really does suck everything out of and off your skin. If you have tough young skin in need of deep.cleaning or want to be sure the day's makeup and grime are completely obliterated this is for you. I purchased it along with the Argon oil and honey facial wash expecting to use it on my t-zone only but the first time I tried it I pumped out too much and used it on my entire face. A coating of my usual oil of coice followed by night cream barely eased the resulting tightness but I had the smoothest canvas for makeup and the pores on my nose and forehead were actually smoothed by my primer for the very first time. I get the same result sans tight face using it as originally intended - black soap in T and argon & honey everywhere else . For now, and unless something wicked happens, they have replaced my nightly Olay Resurfacing. If I get a stray pimple I dot this on it to successfully scare it away. Good stuff and not just hype.

Awesome facial wash if you want to banish breakouts! I use it every night, and it helps keep my skin completely clear. I think if you are sensitive to salicylic acid, benzoyl peroxide, or you just want something natural - this is a great option for cleansing the skin. The color is black, and the texture is kind of slimy - but it lathers up well and washes away all residue without stripping the skin. You can either apply it and wash it off immediately - or apply it and leave it on for 5-10 minutes for a deeper clean/microdermabrasion treatment. Highly recommend!

on 11/8/2014 9:56:00 AM

I use this in times where I find myself battling acne. As I do not use it regularly, I cannot speak to its effectiveness in preventing acne, but when I use it during times of breakouts, I find it helps the acne to disappear. It is a little bit irritating if you have any sensitivity on your skin (I had had a runny nose, so around my nostrils was sensitive and when I used this they burned like crazy) so I would recommend only using this when you do not have any issues.

I am a makeup/product junkie addict = P, I have tried so many products trying to clear my skin up that it was at the point it was ridiculous and I was ready to make an appointment to go see a dermatologist for my acne issues, I am 44 and and I looked at my skin and it's like enough already I'm to old for acne! Well my skin didn't agree and we've been in a battle, that was, until I found this product!!! I am on my 3rd bottle, I've never found any cleanser that I've purchased over and over again like this, and I will NEVER let myself run out of it. Like others have mentioned it's not great at removing makeup so once I remove my makeup then I use this and let it sit on my face for 5 min or 10 if I have the time, I've had no stinging or redness but I do not have sensitive skin at all. I've told coworkers who have teenagers or knows of anyone suffering from acne to just try this as it's been such a miracle for me and the price is affordable the only thing I don't like is the glass bottle as I keep it in the shower so I'm really careful not to drop it on the tile and break it other than that it's a really great product! Not to mention how fast their shipping is!! Hope this helps someone who may be unsure of trying it I know how awful it feels to have acne! Good luck!

on 10/24/2014 10:55:00 AM

Hair: Other, Straight, Fine

A black gel/soap face wash that does not have a pleasant scent. I did not use this to remove makeup but rather as an exfoliating treatment. Massage into skin and leave on 5-10 minutes. It does burn and left my skin feeling stripped and dry. I simply do not like the idea of leaving a soap on my face for 5 minutes. Did not notice any benefits from using this. I would rather just exfoliate my face with an AHA treatment which temporarily stings but does not burn and leave my face irritated and dry.