BeneFit Cosmetics Brow Bar - Brow waxing/shaping services

No Image

4.1

on 4/7/2016 5:48:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

I live in Dublin and go to the brow bar in House of Fraser Dundrum and they do a brilliant job. Have been going there for the last 5 years or so and I've never had a bad experience.

I went to the benefit brow bar at Chadstone today. I left feeling like POOP. The girl was nice enough but was very rough - very - with the waxing and left a whole chunk of my face BRIGHT red. Seriously it looked like I painted from my eye crease to 2 cm above my brow bright red. Thank GOD I have a fringe because I looked horrible. She left the wax on my face and I had to actually ask for something to remove it. It's still on and my hair keeps getting stuck to it. The brows look fine enough but for $40 it's a flipping rip off. Not a pleasant experience. I will not return. Do not go if you have sensitive skin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Unless you have a crazy concealer you can plaster on afterwards.

on 10/18/2013 6:23:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other

I happened to be in Toronto at Yorkdale Mall when I walked into Sephora and saw that they were celebrating the grande opening of a Benefit Brow Bar. I didn't have an appointment but they did my eyebrows right there on the spot for $23, and wow, my eyebrows look the best they ever have! I love the shape, the trimming she did on them and most of all the product she used to make my eyebrows look perfect, the Benefit Gimme Brow gel is medium/dark to volumize my already quick thick eyebrows. I love the full eyebrow look and it's kind of my signature thing, and the Benefit employee did a phenomenal job on giving me great eyebrows and introducing me to an amazing one-step product to hold them into place while filing in any sparse areas. I also got a free Benefit makeup bag to celebrate the grand opening at that location. Totally worth the $23!

on 10/6/2013 11:38:00 AM

I started going to the Benefit brow bar after going to the counter in Debenhams in my home town to buy Brow-zings after a traumatic waxing experience where my two brows looked like they had been taken from two different women. I spoke to one of the girls and she was really helpful, telling me to book an appointment when my brows had grown out a bit could be properly shaped and made even, and she gave me a vital tip that your brows are sisters, not twins and to never expect them to look EXACTLY the same (I know a lot of girls who stress about this but it's pretty much impossible for them to look exactly the same!). So anyway fast forward a few weeks and I went for my appointment. I was told that this wax is like a face lift, and they shape your brows to accentuate your face and make them look perfect. The girl then used a pencil to measure where each point of my brow should start and finish and put some little dots in each point with a brow pencil so she knew where to go. She tested the wax on the palm of my hand to make sure it wasn't too hot and then started. The process is really quick and much less painless than most other places I've been to, and I also like that you are sat up rather than laid down like you're in a hospital or something! The girl was really chatty too and really friendly and sweet. Once done she made sure there were no leftover hairs and tweezed out any stragglers and then showed me the brows and asked if they were ok for me. She then touched up my makeup and explained that usually you shouldn't put makeup on just after waxing as it can clog pores and cause spots, but the concealer she used was specially formulated with an anti-inflammatory and soothing agents to take down swelling and speed up the skins healing process. She also asked if I wanted any of the brow kit on or just to have a little Speed Brow on, which is like hairspray for your brows. It cost £18 for what I got, which was a wax and tint, the tint was matched perfectly and they take into account your hair colour, skint tone and eye colour. It sounds expensive but to be honest the treatment is second to none, the service is amazing and if I'm truthful, they do my eyebrows exactly how I like them, they keep the thickness and keep them lovely and defined and I have never gone anywhere else since. I've had my brows done by three different girls there, all are great but if you ever go to the brow bar in Debenhams in Middlesbrough, try to get your appointment with Danielle or Charlie as I felt my brows were best after seeing these two ladies!

on 11/28/2012 10:32:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Curly, Other

After going into an ULTA for the first time last week I was really impressed. Then they told me to come back for a free birthday brow waxing and I was even more excited! I went in today to the Benefit Brow Bar and was skeptical at first because the lady who works there was late for work and wasn't even there yet. I ended up waiting in the store for about 20 minutes and came to find out that she was there for about half of that time and just didn't realize that I was waiting on her. It was totally worth it though! My brows have never looked this great! The process was relatively pain free compared to others, she showed me how to fill in my brows, and she applied plenty of products to insure I didn't leave with a swollen red face so I could continue with my errands. I was given samples to take home and tips for how to shape my brows to my face. I even made an appointment for next month so I will definitely be returning!

on 5/17/2012 1:12:00 PM

I live in the UK, and go to a brow bar in Debenhams. I have been to the benefit brow bar three times at the time of writing this. The first time I went was wonderful. It was my first time getting my brows done and I was really nervous but the woman talked me through what she was going to do, how she was going to do it etc. and was so nice that it made it a very pleasant experience. She was the resident brow expert and it showed. My brows ended up beautiful, thick and natural but tidier with more shape, just as I wanted them. I was pleasantly surprised at how much she listened to me as I stressed I wanted them natural, not too thin. However my next two experiences with the brow bar have been...iffy. My next appointment I had another girl and she was very friendly again, but she really overdid it despite me, again, stressing that I wanted them thick and natural. They were still nice, but not entirely what I wanted. The third time, yet another girl, my brows have ended up...very strange. They are still quite messy, and they don't seem to match. I quite like the shape, although the one brow the arch is way too sharp (yes, just the one...)

As for the process, I do like how benefit go about it. They sit you down and give you an aftercare/warning sheet to sign, then they ask what you want, before they show you a mirror and show you the points on the brow and explain what they are thinking of doing to you, and ask you if its OK. They put soothing oil on the brows, and some on your hand to test the wax temperature. The actual waxing doesn't hurt, its fairly quick and painless, although the tweezing afterwards does, although that is to be expected I think. After the one is done theyll ask for your opinion before moving on to the next, though I dont know what they expect to happen if you say you hate it- not like they can do anything about it! After both are done they massage cooling gel over the area and apply concealer to cover redness, before finally filling in the brows with brow zings. I like how they use brow zings, and the oil, wax, and cooling gel all feel nice, and smell good too. I also want to appreciate how they conceal the redness afterwards, but the brush they use is of dubious cleanliness, and they do it so half-heartedly that it ends up cakey and disgusting. I wish they wouldn't bother with that. Afterwards my skin is a bit red, and sometimes I break out but I am fairly sure thats part of the process. Its a very minor irritation which calms down after a day or so.

The second time I went they insisted on applying eye gel, blush and mascara on me...which was a bit random, but OK. They didn't make me look bad, at least.

I would recommend that if you are still curious about using the benefit brow bar, that you ask if they have a brow expert and ask to see her, and that you go with a certain amount of trepidation. It could go either way! I'm likely to go back, but I am in a love/hate with this service. I really love the process, but the results aren't always what I want. And although its not expensive, its not exactly the cheapest out there.

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

My friend & I went to ULTA to find her an eyebrow product. She decided on a whim to get her brows done & it turned out so well that I decided to get my brows done too!
This was my first time getting waxed, but I had gotten them threaded a couple years ago & maintained the shape by plucking.

This service was $20, which may seem a bit much for a wax, but it's not just a simple wax. The Benefit lady actually measures where your brows should start, end, & where your arch should be. So they customize the shape of your brows to your face. While the Benefit lady was shaping my brows, I learned how to use brow powder. I have the NYX Eyebrow Cake Powder which has 2 brow colors & a brow gel/wax. I've been just using the brow colors but watching the Benefit lady, I learned to mix the color with the gel, then apply.

The wax was heated to the perfect temperature (not too hot) & if you're used to getting hair pulled out of you via threading or plucking, the pain from waxing is very tolerable.

After the wax, the Benefit lady will put some soothing lotion on the areas of hair removal & massage it in. Then she'll ask if you want to try Benefit's new skincare line & if you say yes, she'll pretty much wash your face for you. I declined to try it because I'm already happy with my skincare regimen & I already didn't have any makeup on for the next step (the makeover).

Then comes the makeover. I liked Benefit's makeover because their products give you a more natural, everyday makeup look versus other places like MAC. Not that there's anything wrong with that--I just liked learning what products to use & where to apply for a natural easy pretty look for when I don't want to put too much effort (like for school or work). The Benefit lady put primer, concealer, foundation, highlighter (& I learned where to apply highlighter), mascara, blush, & lipcolor on me.

When I got home, I showed off my brows to my mom & she loved them so much, she asked me to take her to get her brows done too, so I took her the next day (:

So to recap, $20 gets you a customized brow shaping, a brow wax, a mini facial massage, a facial cleansing (I opted not to do this), & a makeover. Overall, I was VERY happy with my new brows. My old brows weren't bad before, but my new brows are cleaner & still natural-looking. I honestly couldn't stop checking my brows out in the mirror the next day lol!

FYI, the customized brow shaping is actually free if you just want to see how your brows are supposed to look like. Then you can decide whether to pay $20 for the wax service. ALSO, if you come in on your birthday or birthday week, you get a free brow wax (:

on 8/17/2011 2:03:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

I've had three bizarre experiences with te Benefit Brow Bars, each one worse than the last. Will never go again.
The first time was when my Mum and I were in Sydney Myer in Chatswood. We were browsing at the MAC counter when a Sales Assistant from the opposite BBB came over to my Mum and told her she had fantastic eyebrows. She then asked whether she could tint and wax them. We thought this was a bit strange that she had come into another brand's section. Mum was flattered and said sure, if you want...? The SA took us over to the BBB and was just gushing about Mum's eyebrows and she couldn't wait to play with them.... Weird. I then asked if we would be paying seeing as she asked us. The SA told us it would cost $70 for a wax, tint and something or other!! Mum was just amazed at the audacity of her ASKING to do them and politely refused service and we walked away.
The second and third visits were at Myer Melbourne City. I went in to see if they could tint my really lackluster pale and skinny eyebrows. I told the woman I don't ever pluck them because they are so thin anyway and I use a MAC pencil to fill them. She rolled her eyes and said I needed to stop plucking them. I told her again and she just gave me a patronizing look and said they would take a few months to grow back after my over plucking! So I ignored this blatant rudeness and told her I wanted a tint to make them a bit more prominent. She said that she thought it would be a silly idea and I should just stick with product. So she sat my down and preceded to draw the most revolting drag queen, thick, almost ginger eyebrows on me. I have very cool toned skin and dark brown hair... Why would she pick a reddy colour for my brows!? She did not follow my natural shape at all and they were so over the top and artificial. I told her I really didn't like what she had done and that I prefer a more ash and natural look. She just brushed it off with a 'this is what your brows should be like and your not used to it yet.' She then refused to take it off for me, saying 'give it a few hours.' I left feeling utterly bullied and humiliated. AND with a small ginger ferret on my forehead masquerading as brows.
So a year had passed since this experience and I went in today to get a tint. I stuck to my guns and told them I just wanted a tint. So the SA sat me down and tried to sell me and my friend so many products while we waited. No I do not want to try this blush, no I do not need new concealer, no I am not interested in a spray tan! So eventually it was my turn for a tint. The woman didn't ask what colour I wanted and just started whacking on dye. When I said to her "This is a really ash brown yeah?" She said no it was a red brown! I told her I actually want a really cool brown she just said "Trust me it will look good". Well it didn't. It looked a very rich red brown and didn't suit me at all. Then she wanted to wax my very thin brows. I what would you wax? And she replies with this gem "You think a wax will get rid of hair but it's actually not going to get rid of any, so don't worry." Why would I pay for it then? At $35, for no change... Why? So she got really shitty and said "Whatever they are your brows." So she cleaned me up and filled in some of my gaps with an extremely heavy hand (which really hurt). My whole eyebrow area was bright red from all the digging and roughness so I asked for a bit of concealer (that they were trying to sell me before). She picked up a bit of translucent powder and dabbed it between my eyebrows. I asked her again if she could please use some concealer as I had to go back to work and she rolled her eyes and said "Omg I'll just get you a make up artist then shall I?" and stormed off. I said thank you to her as she walked off and she just said "Yeah," quietly- not even looking at me. What on earth?!
My friend had a good experience and her eyebrows looked good so maybe my experience was random grumpy sales assistant. But after having some bizarre experiences I will not go back.
As we were leaving and paying, another SA who was there was smirking and talking about us to the SA I had. She said to me "What? You don't like them!" and I said "No, they are good!" but she just gave my SA a sly smile and took my card.
I really prize customer service and it's what keeps me going back somewhere. When the SA have their own shit going on, I don't want to know. I do not want to deal with your attitude. Don't bring it to work. Its not about you, it's about my brows!
Never again Benefit!

on 1/28/2011 12:12:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

I obviously haven't been to all of the brow bars... However... I've been impressed- a solid 4/5. Depending on your willingness to follow instructions after the brow mapping process, the results can go either way. Granted if you need to go through "brow rehab" the process can seem mildly akward. It looks ridiculas to have the brow mapping done... It's difficult to see what the arch experts are looking to achieve. If you follow those instructions and guidelines you will have perfect brows.

The benefit brow mapping process is fool proof. It's sn easy way to find the perfect shape for your face. I enjoied the entire process, the dedication and passion that my brow girl showed while doing my brows really made me comfortable. She showed me that she actually cared to make my brows a beautiful piece of art.
I wish you all experienced the same thing I did. I won't trust my perfect brows to anyone else, and I highly reccomed this service.
Get to know your professional. Ask them what they've done aside from working at the brow bar, ask them why they like doing brows... If you feel comfortable- do it! It might be your next great decision

on 11/15/2010 9:19:00 PM

Well I didn't get mine *waxed* at a Benefit brow bar - thankfully the atrocity they created washed off. I had just gotten mine done when the Ulta opened up here with the brow bar, but I was already excited to try it out. I was in the Benefit section to buy Benefit's Brow Zings, and the SA offered to show me what it would look like on me and a free lesson on how to apply it. That sounded great, because I wanted to try out the color before buying anyway, and I wanted to see how the pros do it. What this lady did to my brows.. was awful.

First of all, she used the way wrong color on me. I have pale, very pink (cool) toned skin. She used a warm brunette shade on me which would have stood out on its own - if it didn't already because she drew WAY WAY out of the natural line of my brow. You could see my brows, with this different-color outline. To be fair my brows are naturally tougher to deal with - they grow sparsely, yet really long, and are asymmetrical. No one (including myself) can ever get them looking "great".. but usually they're within the realm of "normal". It was beyond ridiculous the way she sent me out of there. I know the checkout clerks stared at me. I looked like a clown. It was super, super obvious. How any human could fail to see this looked funny, I do not know, but especially not a supposedly trained professional.

Before you go to a brow bar all excited, look at the pictures in my profile. Do I think all Benefit employees would do this bad of a job? No, I know some of them (maybe most) do fabulous jobs. But before you go to one, make sure you've seen/heard good things about a specific individual's work, and do not just let anyone there do them. Or at least approach it with the caution you would going to any new, random place. Do not assume because it's a Benefit brow bar that all the employees are well trained and have skill.

Edit: Not sure where the "evidence" pictures went but I re-uploaded them.

Popular Brows Products