Mentholatum Skin Aqua UV Moisture Milk SPF50 PA+++

Mentholatum Skin Aqua UV Moisture Milk SPF50 PA+++
Mentholatum Skincare UV Moisture Milk SPF50+ PA+++Mentholatum Skincare UV Moisture Milk PackagingSkin Aqua UV Moisture Milk SPF 50+ PA++++Mentholatum Skin Aqua UV Moisture Milk SPF50 PA+++

4.2

water, cyclopentasiloxane,, octinoxate, zinc oxide, isonoyl isononanoate, polymethylsilsesquioxane, BG, glycerin, silica, lauroyl lysine, sodium hyaluronate, hydrolyzed collagen, panthenol, magnesium ascorbyl phosphate, dipotassium glycyrrhizinate, tocopheryl acetate, diethylamino hydroxybenzoyl hexyl benzoate, acrylates/dimethicone copolymer, triethoxylsilylethyl polydimethylsiloxyethyl hexyl dimethicone, acrylates/polytrimethyl siloxymethacrylate copolymer,, lauryl PEG-9 polydimethylsiloxyethyl diomethicone, EDTA-2Na, methylparaben, propylparaben.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm

EDIT 24 FEB '09: Still loving this! I use it every day. I have found further info on the active ingredients and have posted this below.

This is a Japanese sunscreen that I've been using for a couple of weeks now and I think this is The One. I was a big fan of Shiseido SPF55 Lotion but was finding it a little too drying on my skin in cooler months. I have been looking for something similar to the Shiseido that will still mattify my face (I get a really oily t-zone) but won't make it feel tight and uncomfortable. This one is meeting all my requirements and I'm really excited about it!

The texture is similar to other Japanese sunscreens I've tried - a pale, runny milk. This is sweat/water resistant, fragrance free and alcohol free. This works really well under my makeup and keeps my skin matte yet comfortable all day.

The packaging is an attractive pale blue plastic bottle with small nozzle to help you control how much product comes out. The cap seems quite secure and I could see this travelling well. I paid approximately AUD$14 for 42g at www.sasa.com and I think this is a good price.

Verdict: Excellent. This is everything I require in a sunscreen! If your skin is combination with some sensitivity or dryness, I would recommend this to you.

I'm no expert on sunscreen so I will refer you to a post on the skincare board by Haruka about the acitve ingredients: http://www.makeupalley.com/m_78623470

Haruka also kindly translated the ingredients list and I will post that here for reference:

This is the description of the product on Sasa:
--Light sunscreen moisture milk which protects and hydrates skin against harmful sunlight
--Contains effective moisturizing ingredients, Hyaluronic acid and Collagen, which help keep skin soft and moisturized even after long hours of sunlight
--Enriched with carrot extract, Vitamin B1,B2 and C, to maintain smooth and healthy skin
--Effective protection against harmful UVA and UVB
--Low irritation, suitable for daily outdoor activities

ETA: I found this ingredients list at this Cosmetics Ingredients Collection blog:
It varies slightly from the above and am posting it here for you to make up your own mind... See below

Active ingredients:
Ethylhexyl Methoxycinnamate 6.48%
Diethylamino Hydroxybenzoyl Hexyl Benzoate 0.72%
Zinc Oxide 5.94%

Other ingredients:
Water, Magnesium Ascorbyl Phosphate, Dipotassium Glycyrrhizate, Sodium Hyaluronate, Hydrolyzed Collagen, Tocopherol Acetate, Polymethylsilsesquioxane, Cyclopentasiloxane/Silica/Lauryl PEG-9 Polydimethylsiloxyethyl Dimethicone/Methicone/Triethoxysilyethyl Polydimethyl Siloxyethyl Hexyl Dimethicone, Lauroyl Lysine, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Disodium EDTA, Butylene Glycol, Cyclopentasiloxane, Trimethylsiloxysilicate (and) Cyclopentasiloxane,Triethylhexanoin, Panthenol

on 11/15/2008 1:58:00 AM

Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

This is my HG sunscreen for the winter. I got this in the summer time (see my review for Allie Perfect Sunscreen) and found it was too heavy for me since the Japanese summers are super humid. I left it in my drawer untouched for months, and when the weather got drier I tried it again and it is perfect! It doesn't break me out or clog my pores, and the finish is beautiful and mu looks great on top. It has a runny milky texuture that is typical for most Japanese sunscreens. Compare to Sofina this is less chalky and more gel like. Unlike the typical Japanese sunscreen which tends to be very matte and can be drying in the winter, this one provides just the right amount of hydration as it contains hyalunic acid, without any greasiness or shine. The price is also great, I paid for about $7 for 40ml. For those who live outside of Japan I think you can order it from Sasa. This was reformulated in 2008 and Sasa only carries the older version as of the time that I wrote this review.

Skin: Very Dry, Medium, Not Sure

I bought this at sasa for a total of $13.50 (shipping included). It's way smaller than I thought. It's matte and not drying. I still do use a moisturizer under it because my face is super dry. It's very milky, doesn't leave a white cast, yet I'm wondering what percentage of physical sunblock this contains. I'm thinking about saving this for the summer since it's a bit too expensive for me.Update: I spoke too soon, under the sun my face burns (I have photosensitive skin due to chem peels a year ago)!! Ahh! But it is a good matte, non drying sunscreen. I won't repurchase

on 4/5/2009 8:24:00 AM

I really like this product. I use several sunscreens but this is the one I use when i have to be in the sun for a period of time. it goes on easily, dries matte and does not dry out my skin. it also can be reapplied and stays matte, which is great when i am attending baseball and football games or just spend the afternoon outside. I got it from sasa.com. The only thing I have to worry about is ordering enough at one time so that I am never without it.

on 5/29/2009 3:46:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Mentholatum SunPlay Skincare UV Moisture Milk SPF50+ PA+++ has a runny, milky-gel texture that is moisturizing and dries matte. It is not at all sticky and does not leave a white cast or streaks. It's also fragrance-free and fairly waterproof. No sensitivity or breakouts, either! Since my skin is dry, I like that it is much *less* drying than other Japanese sunscreens. I would not recommend this for those with very oily skin.

The bottle is 42 grams (40 mL) for about US$11 from sasa.com (not including shipping), which I find to be very reasonably priced. (Be warned, though, that shipping from sasa.com takes awhile!) The bottle is small, with a twist-off cap and a nozzle applicator. There are mixing balls inside to (presumably) disperse the mineral filters evenly.

I've tried to obtain ingredients from the company, but have received no response. Thus, I am not certain what the specific sunscreen filters are (there seems to be a discrepancy regarding ingredients). It does contain antioxidants, which is nice.

I really ♥ the texture and finish of this sunscreen. My makeup goes on so beautifully, and my face is not shiny at all! Unfortunately, my skin is *very* prone to pigmentation, and I have a small patch of melasma from when I was on BCP. I used this suncreen for about three weeks in May, and I think my patch is becoming darker. :( Sadly, I won't be using this in the summer. I may try using it in the winter when the sun has set by the time I leave work.

Since it is PA+++, the PPD is at least 8. Many people are fine with this, so if you're one of those lucky ones, I encourage you to try this as it is a very lovely sunscreen. However, I do not recommend it for those who are very prone to pigmentation (like me). continued >>

on 6/3/2009 2:38:00 PM

Mentholatum Sunplay Skincare UV Moisture Milk spf 50 PA+++
I really like the thin consistency of this ss....is wonderful under mu...dries matte....very light.

But alas, I will probably not reorder....it was a little more than I wanted to pay for 42 g....appx. $17.00 (including shipping), but I reserve the right to change my mind! :-) Another reason that I will probably not reorder is that although my face is not sensitive, my neck is. I am trying to find a physical ss that I can use on both my face and neck instead of having two.

I have never tried it for like a day at the beach, but it was wonderful under mu....If you have no problems with chemical ss and you have more $$$ than me, this is a great one!

on 7/15/2009 12:26:00 PM

This is now my favorite everyday sunscreen! one of the best pa+++ sunscreens! absolutely no white cast where others do! I've tried quite a few Jap sunscreens ( Anessa, Allie, Kiss Me, etc) I wouldn't use this for outdoors or for a long day cause it has some chemical block that will breakdown eventually~ I will use Kiss Me Daily Comfort SPF50 for that~

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Me: 22, very sensitive combination skin - oily nose/chin, dry cheeks/forehead.

The product: About $12 per 40g from sasa.com or ichibankao.com. Yes, this is a small tube - 40 grams is only slightly more than 1 ounce. It's about the size of your average bottle of vitamin C serum. This is a very, very runny fluid that is thankfully fragrance-free.

My experience: The main thing I love about this miracle sunscreen is being able to slap it on in the morning and leave the house without having to check myself compulsively in the rearview mirror to make sure there aren't any white streaks leftover. This is gloriously, wonderfully matte and low-maintenance. It takes absolutely NO rubbing at all for it to sink in - in fact, rubbing it will do nothing but cause more liquid to come off on your fingers. There is not even a momentary hint of a white cast. I HAVE found that despite the moisturizing/hydrating ingredients in the Mentholatum UV Moisture Milk (like hyaluronic acid) it does feel a teensy bit dry (not necessarily drying, but my face can feel a little uncomfortable without lotion), but I have no problems using a moisturizer first. It will mattify no matter what you've applied under it, unlike my previous sunscreen (Natural Instinct SPF 30) which never set as well over a moisturizer.

There are only a couple things I don't like about this sunscreen. One, it is extremely milky and it's tricky to apply the full 1/4 teaspoon without losing any. I always get some stuck in my cuticles or underneath my fingernails or running down my hands/chin. As this is a fairly expensive sunscreen for me, knowing I'm losing some is kind of a bummer. Two, it has to be ordered from Asia and thus you are at the whim of the very few stores that carry it and ship internationally. But it really is worth the hassle of slow shipping. This is a sunscreen for all the sunscreen-haters out there who have ever used and hated sticky, itchy, burning, shining, whitening, greasy sunscreens. continued >>

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

I bought this for $6 in Taiwan. (BTW, Taiwan has a lot of mentholatum-brand sunscreens). Sasa.com is too expensive, but just recently, since it looks like they raised the prices. Perhaps MUA skinboard increased their popularity and they are ca$hing in.

This is watery like Sofina. I really like the smell, which is a bit medical, but mostly neutral. I use an oil-cleanser since it is an asian sunscreen, and they tend to be sweat/water-resistant to a powerful degree.

A really lovely, effective and cheap product. Too bad its in Taiwan!

on 12/1/2009 2:16:00 AM

Wow, this is my HG sunscreen for face, as I wear it everyday now. For body, I use Neutrogena SPF85 (too greasy on face). I've been wearing this for a month now, and no breakouts! (Sometimes I sleep with it on & it doesn't clog poes.) The texture is very watery and runny, which makes it a little difficult to apply. But to prevent from wasting product, I squeeze it directly at my face, 2 spots on the cheeks, one on the forehead, a line along the nose, and one on the chin and upper lip. Like applying moisturizer, I spread it evenly on my face. This doesn't leave my face greasy or oily at all, in fact it doesn't feel as if I'm wearing sunscreen. Very lightweight! Which is kinda a problem at the beginning because I forget which area I applied it on, then I reapply on the area again. So that's why I apply it directly now, instead of squeezing it on to my hands, then spreading it on the face.

Rated 3 for packaging because the bottle is small.