Sesame Oil

Sesame Oil

4.7

sesame oil

I started using sesame oil while on accutane. Accutane is extremely drying and I was desperate for help rehydrating my skin. Sesame oil is now part of my daily regimen. The oil does not sit on top of your skin the way others do (coconut oil etc). You only need a small amount on damp skin and it absorbs quite nicely. I also find it to help heal wounds from acne, and reduce redness. My skin is soft and hydrated after using this. I copied what another reviewer does - morning and night, I wash my face and while still damp, I palm the top of the bottle and flip it over into my hand. Rub that into my face and then add lotion. It works great! 100% recommend

on 3/28/2016 12:11:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I've not used this for either face nor body, so I don't know how it performs in those areas. However I have used it on my nails and cuticles, and gosh, do I love it! I have really varying nail quality. Sometimes my nails are strong, grows long and barely ever breaks off, and other times they just chip and break like crazy. I wasn't sure what changed or what was missing for my nails to be of good quality all the time, but now I think they were simple too dry during certain times. I read that sesame oil is a good oil for nails and cuticles, and I'm so glad I tried it. I already had in it my kitchen cabinets and loved it as a cooking oil for cooking asian-inspired food, and now I love it for a whole other reason as well.

It's fairly light and sinks into the skin and nails quickly, so you won't have to wait around for ages for it to dry. I rarely take breaks from wearing nail polishes (I know, no wonder my nails are feeling less than perky at times), so I tend to take my polish off, put some oil on a cotton pad and go over each nail. Most of the time I do this before I go to bed, and then I can paint my nails the next day and know that I've given my nails at least a tiny break and chance to recover. Since I worked this into my nail routine the quality of my nails have improved loads! A few months ago my nails broke off constantly, and lately I've had several people thinking that my long, natural nails are extensions or fakes.

Also, while many natural oils tend to have a not-so-great or downright bad smell, I can't get enough of the smell of sesame oil! I don't know if it's just me, but I love it. But even so, I don't think I'd want to use this all over my body, because the scent is really, really strong.

To Read all 29 Reviews, Login or Join

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

HG all over body oil for sure. This oil sinks into my skin rapidly and leaves it feeling hydrated and soft, not greasy or tacky. The way I use it is in the shower, after I've finished washing my body. I take a small amount in the palm of my hand and rub it over my skin, the water helps it spread easier so you require less product. I even use this on my face occasionally and have not yet broken out!

1/6/2016: Update: I've been using this lately as above while also mixing in come citrus essential oils (lemon, grapefruit) for the added benefit of reducing cellulite (apparently!) and I've noticed some major improvements on my legs - less ingrown hairs and less eczema.

on 8/14/2015 5:12:00 PM

I have been using Organic Sesame Oil for roughly 2 months.
With my love of oils from this past winter, I decided to branch out. Sesame oil seemed like the next logical choice for me. This seems to have become my favourite oil thus far.

First off the scent may be off putting to some. I don't mind it and it quickly fades.
It is a very dark golden colour and seems a little thicker in weight as an oil.

I have been using this to remove makeup (especially eye make up - works like a charm!) and to moisturize. For me it gives the right amount of sheen and weight to plump my skin and give me a glow, even if I use just a drop. A little really does go a long way with this oil.

I will mix this with a drop of a cleaner or add a drop to a mask for added smoothness, slide and moisture and this has never broken me out.

Fab for the rest of the body, too, right out of the shower on damp skin.

There seem to be more benefits to this oil as well including some sun screen protection. I like that it is used in traditional Ayurvedic Medicine. I will also start oil pulling method with this oil as well (was using coconut but I think this will be better).

Very, very happy with this and don't think I will go back to Sweet Almond or Grapeseed or Jojoba oils... this seems like the perfect fit for me.

This is cheaper than other oils too - even organic - and easy to find.

Highly recommended.

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure

This is a fantastic oil for my sensitive skin, and especially as a pre-shower treatment or even mixed into moisturizer (i tend not to use it on its own as a leave-in body moisturizer because i don't like the smell). I like it mixed into organic coconut oil or almond oil before rinsing it off with a steam/shower combo. My skin even on my body can become inflamed or irritated if the product doesn't suit, but this works well and leaves a moisturizing effect even after the bath, I seal it in with Lubriderm body moisturizer.
I think people will especially appreciate this as a serum or mixed into facial moisturizer. Everyone seems to have covered its benefits extensively-- I want to share an additional tip that genuinely help me and works. Warning- will sound weird/gross.
You heat the oil on a medium-low flame and add a drop of water-- when the water 'breaks' (crackles/bubbles a bit, indicating a sort of 'simmer') you can take it off the heat and wait for it to cool down. It's considered 'cured' sesame oil in Ayurvedic terms now, and can be used for massage, hair, etc. One thing they recommend which I genuinely think works-- they say to take a drop or two of the oil and...put it in each nostril. Then breathe it in. You do this a couple of times-- it helps sinuses and gives you a feeling of 'clarity' which i suppose comes with easy breathing. I really like to do this when I feel overwhelmed/anxiety attacks coming on, it gives you a sense of grounding and somehow helps with headaches, if only temporarily!! I do this for my baby as well (on occasion if his nose seems clogged) and of course for his body massage oil (before bathing).

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

Hair: Other, Curly, Fine

Ok.. I can not get enough of this amazing oil! I use it to wash and moisturize my extremely acne prone skin.

Prior to using this stuff I had horrible and painful acne. I used just about every drugstore brand of cleansers and acne treatments and even used Michael Todd true organic products and nothing at all helped my skin! After getting my acne somewhat under control through a change of lifestyle, and herbs, I began checking out different oils. (I must admit putting oil on my already oily skin kinda scared me.)

I tried cocoanut oil, castor oil, jojoba oil, emu oil, etc. Every single one of them broke me out! But after doing more research I ran across sesame seed oil. After reading so many positive reviews I gave in, went to Kroger and bought their unrefined sesame seed oil.. All I can say is.. Wow! That night I had an extremely painful zit that I couldn't help but pop because the pain was driving me nuts. After cleansing I put some of this on my face and the next day, instead of scabbing over or reforming into another pimple.. It was completely flat and gone! All that was left was a red spot. All of my active pimples appeared to be a bit smaller as well.

After a while I completely threw out my cleansers and only washed my face with this using a wash cloth, and my skin got SO much better, and happier. Because I have a hormonal issue, it hasn't magically cured my acne. But it does really help with active acne as well as lightening the hyper pigmentation over time, and serves as a great serum after using a derma roller! (for my hyper pigmentation and dented scarring.) Also, It has a light smell that doesn't bother me a bit.

Lastly, it's a great natural sunscreen. Although it does have a low SPF so I wouldn't rely on this for a long day in the sun! Nevertheless, I would highly recommend giving this a try! It's definitely my HG skincare product!

on 2/22/2014 1:08:00 PM

Okay...guys it seems you are into skin and hair care as much as I am. I appreciate all of the comments regarding the sesame oil for the hair. I currently use organic coconut oil to prevent my scalp from getting dry, however I never thought of mixing the sesame oil with my coconut before getting it shampooed. I will definitely try it. I read that the beauty of the hair in India is attributed to oiling it first before washing.

As far as skin goes I use Black soap to wash then 100% raw white Shae Butter as a moisturizer every night on my face and when I wake up it is absorbed. I NEVER go to sleep with ANY make-up on my face, even though I use it moderately. I actually use the Shae butter as a moisturizer for my skin. I have found nothing that works better than this. Hope my review gives some insight in our quest for beautiful hair and skin!

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

This oil is amazing! Mix this oil with castor oil and almond oil, apply to dry hair, leave it on overnight, wash it off in the morning and enjoy your silky, smooth hair! Sesame oil is known to improve hair growth and it seriously helped my heat damaged hair! Try it out for yourself and you'll know what I am talking about. The only downside is the smell, I think that it smell absolutely awful and I had to shampoo third times to get it off completely.

Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Warm

I bought a bottle of this to use on my face. I had read up on sesame oil and found it was supposed to be good for skin. Yes it did moisturize but I still was getting acne and my skin would be dry after the oil was absorbed. I wasn't too happy with the outcome and it's now just sitting on a shelf in my bathroom.

Basically I'm acne prone and this didn't help.

All I can say is WOW. I'v yet to try this again as a facial moisturizer (I tried it for the first time last night) but it has worked wonders. I couldn't believe that I was actually putting an oil on my acne-prone combination skin (which can really look greasy and shiny sometimes). This has moisturized my face like no other product and is dirt cheap! It did not break me out either which was a huge relief. Harsh prescription medications (I'm currently using epiduo) are the only things that can keep my acne at bay, unfortunately I have ridiculously sensitive skin at the same time so my skin gets super red and burns like shit! I woke up this morning with baby soft completely calmed skin, it did not enlarge my pores like I worried it would and my face is the farthest thing from greasy, it actually seemed to take away the oiliness! The redness is completely gone as well! I will definitely be using this again as my moisterizer :)