Pixi Lip Blush

Lip BlushLip BlushLip Blush

3.8

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I got this in the 'Luck' color. I think the color is perfection, however, the staying power is nil. They claim it lasts 8 hours but it lasted less than an hour and thats with no eating. It wasn't too drying compared to stains I've used in the past. But, as far as the bang for the buck goes.. I was pretty disappointed. I will not buy this product for full price again.

on 7/23/2013 11:02:00 PM

Re-review: I've decided that this lip stain is the best stain on the market. Very light and lasts most of the day. Does not dry lips at all. I repurchased this, even at the overpriced $18. But the color Purity is perfect for me.

Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Not Sure

I got the YOUTH color for free, I love the Pixi line and how they are aimed at youthfulness. When I first used this, I thought I was just stimulating my lips because I got the healthiest pink color, like when you lick your lips especially in the winter. But there definitely is a color, if you write on your hand it's as if you're using a highlighter, that's exactly what it's like. You can lick your lips after to wet them after applying this because if your lips aren't moisturized, your cracked lips will have funky pink highlighter lines. It took some getting used to, definitely. I really like it now though, it's not meant to be a lipstick or even a lipstain, it just works somehow. My boyfriend kisses me a lot more when I wear this, he'll glance at me and I don't think he even knows what's causing him to be more affectionate because this product is really THAT subtle but I can't help loving it. I can see how other people would feel jipped though, probably even think they picked a sampled pen, but that's just how it is and I want to prepare anyone for it. For the YOUTH color, anyway. I think these pens are like color suggestions to your lips, unlike lipstick or opaque stains where you pick a color and you expect your lip to take it. Everyone's lip colors are different and with enough lipstick we can have the same color, but lip blush is personal, it's your lips but better. What sucks about this product though is because of the highlighter pen-ness, it stinks to carry around. You'd rather just leave it at home upside down in whatever holds your toothbrush (guilty). I don't know the price but I'm sure it's too much for this.

on 8/31/2012 12:17:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

The Pixi Lip Blush is a lovely lip stain. I have it in Youth, and it's a gorgeous baby pink. I was looking for a good lipstain, and although it's stunning (great pigmentation, nice packaging, not drying...), I am still on the hunt for an HG lipstain, as this is pretty pricey to me, at 18 bucks a pop. I find that it tends to dry out really quickly too, but if you hold it straight when applying and just tilt your head back, you can get the product out. If this cost less, I'd repurchases. The packaging is really cute, with it's green plastic tube. If I can't find a less expensive one of about the same quality, I'll probably repurchase only due to the fact that I quite like lipstains.
Okay, found a new lipstain I prefer: NYC smooch proof stain. I still love this, but can't justify the price when I like a 4.00 one more.

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure

I'm still on the fence...but I'm leaning more towards I will not purchase this product again. I have the shade "Youth" which is seriously the same color of a child's lips. I put the stain on my hand and held it next to my toddler's lips because I was so sure it was the same color. It is and it looks so youthful! I want to love this product, but cannot because the staying power isn't there. You also have to store the lip stain upside down so the tip doesn't dry out. There's too much work for this supposed no work stain.

on 8/26/2009 2:10:00 AM

Great pigmentation - decent priced - purchased online.. i think the site needs an upgrade.. but the overall product is good.

on 7/6/2009 2:41:00 AM

I have this in "Purity"; a light pink-brown lip stain. It is very natural looking, and lasts a pretty good amount of time.

pretty good lip stain, really pigmented and i love the brush :)

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

Not bad. Other reviewers have pretty much said all that needs to be said: exfoliate lips before use; product can be drying; is capable of lasting a long while, but not as long as the product states, etc.

Guess what, though! Victoria's Secret cosmetics sells a similar product for $12. They have many colors to choose from, too. They seem to be smaller, but these marker pens have a propensity to dry out (I had one from Urban Decay that was the size of the Pixi one that dried out after not too long), so a smaller one may not be such a bad idea...

These pens may relatively be the same, and preference could come down to color choice and price.

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

Four shades of Lip Blush are available at Target, and two additional shades are available at pixibeauty.com. I chose Purity, which is depicted on the swatch, tube and box as a ďnude,Ē brownish color. The box recommends that Lip Blush be applied to dry, clean, grease-free lips. They claim that it stays on for three to eight hours and that one tube lasts for 100-150 applications.

The Lip Blush tube is shaped like a marker and has a felt-tip applicator like one, too. This isnít really a new idea; this type of applicator has been used for lip stains by Sephora, Bella Il Fiore, and Avonís mark line, among others. But I do think this is a more effective way to apply a water-based lip stain than the brush provided with Benetint. This applicator is also the most travel-friendly kind of lip color Iíve found: It doesnít leak, melt or break easily.

You may want to exfoliate your lips before application because any dryness or flakiness will be highlighted by the stain (use a lip exfoliator or just gently scrub your lips with a toothbrush or washcloth); this also helps clean oils and grease off your lips for better staining. Application is simple: Line your lips with the tip of the pen and then fill in.

After application, the texture is slightly tacky, which worried me. But after a minute or so, the tackiness disappears. I find lip stains like this (Benetint included) to be a little drying (especially when used immediately after exfoliating), so I usually top with gloss or balm, though the oil in a balm/gloss contributes to the stain wearing off more quickly. For comfort, smooth on a bit of Smithís Rosebud Salve. For a longer-lasting stain, skip it.

Despite the color depicted on the packaging, Purity, on me, looks dark pink. My lips are naturally pink, so this enhanced my natural lip color. I appreciate the matte quality of the stain; it looks very natural. The Lip Blush smells like a fruity cocktail, but the smell dissipates within moments. I didnít notice a distinct taste.

If I use balm, or if I eat or drink while wearing this stain, it disappears within two to three hours. I have not been able to test it past it much past those limits (I yield to lip balm use within the hour, normally).

PROS:

* Good applicator
* Travel-friendly
* Natural, matte color
* Reasonable staying power (2-3 hours)

CONS:

* Can be drying
* May need to exfoliate before application
* Color not as expected
* Expensive

VERDICT: Though the color wasnít exactly what I expected, I still liked the result. I wear natural-looking makeup often, so I can see myself using this pen a lot. The dryness is easily remedied, and since the packaging is well-suited to pocket or purse, itís simple to reapply. I would definitely buy this again.