Pixi Lip Blush

Pixi Lip Blush
Lip BlushLip BlushLip Blush

on 8/31/2012 12:17:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

The Pixi Lip Blush is a lovely lip stain. I have it in Youth, and it's a gorgeous baby pink. I was looking for a good lipstain, and although it's stunning (great pigmentation, nice packaging, not drying...), I am still on the hunt for an HG lipstain, as this is pretty pricey to me, at 18 bucks a pop. I find that it tends to dry out really quickly too, but if you hold it straight when applying and just tilt your head back, you can get the product out. If this cost less, I'd repurchases. The packaging is really cute, with it's green plastic tube. If I can't find a less expensive one of about the same quality, I'll probably repurchase only due to the fact that I quite like lipstains.
Okay, found a new lipstain I prefer: NYC smooch proof stain. I still love this, but can't justify the price when I like a 4.00 one more.

on 9/4/2009 6:56:00 AM

This is a great lipstain. It's a very nice nude on my fair complexion. It lasts pretty well. I usually wear it as a base for my lip gloss in the summer. That way when the gloss inevitably wears off, I don't have completely naked lips. The only thing I don't care for is the price. I consider it rather expensive. I find the color to be pretty buildable. It doesn't bleed either.

Overall, I'm very happy and would purchase again, although I'm certain this container will last quite awhile for me.

on 1/18/2009 8:52:00 PM

It's pretty user-friendly as a felt-tip applicator; you can line and fill in your lips in seconds.

Make sure your lips are exfoliated and clean before applying. If you skip that step, the application will not be even. Also, it's best to apply lip balm afterwards, so you don't cause any balm buildup on the applicator tip.

There's a lot of pigment, even in the most neutral shade, which is called "purity." The color on the box swatch is NOT what comes out of the pen, however. It comes out as a much brighter pink tone. I can't imagine the other colors being very flattering for most people, so stick with the "purity" shade if this is your first one.

What I like is you can control the intensity by layering or you can take it down a notch by blotting with a tissue before it's dry. Also, I found that any oil-based lip treatments you apply on top can cause some of it to rub off, too. I tend to prefer it not at full-intensity, personally, but even with some wiped off, there is plenty of color that enhances your natural lip tone. it's also terrific for layering with sheer glosses.

If you like the full intensity, and use it on its own, it's bound to stay put for a long time. Probably at least four to five hours, on average.

Even with its staying power, it is not difficult to remove with makeup remover or towelette. Just be sure not to use a towel you like, because it WILL STAIN. It is, after all, a lip stain. It is water-based, so that should come out with a detergent if you happen to forget. :)

I love that this formula is super-easy to apply, sets quickly, doesn't require a second step, stays put, and isn't tacky/sticky or drying. I just wish it didn't have the department store price tag, but it's worth it. You'll get a lot of use out of it as long as you keep the cap on.

At first I panicked when, after a few uses, my fairly-new pen was "drying out" and not applying, but that was easily fixed by storing the pen upside-down. :) Now it works consistently.

I love this product!

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

Four shades of Lip Blush are available at Target, and two additional shades are available at pixibeauty.com. I chose Purity, which is depicted on the swatch, tube and box as a ďnude,Ē brownish color. The box recommends that Lip Blush be applied to dry, clean, grease-free lips. They claim that it stays on for three to eight hours and that one tube lasts for 100-150 applications.

The Lip Blush tube is shaped like a marker and has a felt-tip applicator like one, too. This isnít really a new idea; this type of applicator has been used for lip stains by Sephora, Bella Il Fiore, and Avonís mark line, among others. But I do think this is a more effective way to apply a water-based lip stain than the brush provided with Benetint. This applicator is also the most travel-friendly kind of lip color Iíve found: It doesnít leak, melt or break easily.

You may want to exfoliate your lips before application because any dryness or flakiness will be highlighted by the stain (use a lip exfoliator or just gently scrub your lips with a toothbrush or washcloth); this also helps clean oils and grease off your lips for better staining. Application is simple: Line your lips with the tip of the pen and then fill in.

After application, the texture is slightly tacky, which worried me. But after a minute or so, the tackiness disappears. I find lip stains like this (Benetint included) to be a little drying (especially when used immediately after exfoliating), so I usually top with gloss or balm, though the oil in a balm/gloss contributes to the stain wearing off more quickly. For comfort, smooth on a bit of Smithís Rosebud Salve. For a longer-lasting stain, skip it.

Despite the color depicted on the packaging, Purity, on me, looks dark pink. My lips are naturally pink, so this enhanced my natural lip color. I appreciate the matte quality of the stain; it looks very natural. The Lip Blush smells like a fruity cocktail, but the smell dissipates within moments. I didnít notice a distinct taste.

If I use balm, or if I eat or drink while wearing this stain, it disappears within two to three hours. I have not been able to test it past it much past those limits (I yield to lip balm use within the hour, normally).

PROS:

* Good applicator
* Travel-friendly
* Natural, matte color
* Reasonable staying power (2-3 hours)

CONS:

* Can be drying
* May need to exfoliate before application
* Color not as expected
* Expensive

VERDICT: Though the color wasnít exactly what I expected, I still liked the result. I wear natural-looking makeup often, so I can see myself using this pen a lot. The dryness is easily remedied, and since the packaging is well-suited to pocket or purse, itís simple to reapply. I would definitely buy this again.