Pixi Lip Blush

Pixi Lip Blush
Lip BlushLip BlushLip Blush

4.2

on 7/6/2009 2:41:00 AM

I have this in "Purity"; a light pink-brown lip stain. It is very natural looking, and lasts a pretty good amount of time.

on 4/17/2009 10:58:00 AM

This lip stain is fantastic - I bought it in Purity, which looks like my lips' natural color they're flushed or I've bitten them :o). You can grade the color by either applying it to both lips for more intense color, or just to one lip and pressing them together before it dries for a more subtle color.

It stays in place all day and looks beautiful - I just layer gloss or chapstick over the top of it to keep my lips from drying and to give them a little sheen if I feel like it. I have found it helpful to exfoliate my lips prior to applying it so that it goes on smoothly. It's a cinch to apply with its marker tip applicator and smells like a fruity peach cocktail. I will definitely buy this again!

I love this stuff! I have the shade Purity, which is a pinkish-nude on me. Lasts all day long, which is a plus in my book because I hate when my lips get pale and I have to reapply, reapply, reapply. The only downside is that it's a little pricey at $18, so now that I found a cheaper alternative (Cover Girl Outlast Lip Stain) I probably won't buy this Pixi one again. But it's a great product!

on 1/18/2009 8:52:00 PM

It's pretty user-friendly as a felt-tip applicator; you can line and fill in your lips in seconds.

Make sure your lips are exfoliated and clean before applying. If you skip that step, the application will not be even. Also, it's best to apply lip balm afterwards, so you don't cause any balm buildup on the applicator tip.

There's a lot of pigment, even in the most neutral shade, which is called "purity." The color on the box swatch is NOT what comes out of the pen, however. It comes out as a much brighter pink tone. I can't imagine the other colors being very flattering for most people, so stick with the "purity" shade if this is your first one.

What I like is you can control the intensity by layering or you can take it down a notch by blotting with a tissue before it's dry. Also, I found that any oil-based lip treatments you apply on top can cause some of it to rub off, too. I tend to prefer it not at full-intensity, personally, but even with some wiped off, there is plenty of color that enhances your natural lip tone. it's also terrific for layering with sheer glosses.

If you like the full intensity, and use it on its own, it's bound to stay put for a long time. Probably at least four to five hours, on average.

Even with its staying power, it is not difficult to remove with makeup remover or towelette. Just be sure not to use a towel you like, because it WILL STAIN. It is, after all, a lip stain. It is water-based, so that should come out with a detergent if you happen to forget. :)

I love that this formula is super-easy to apply, sets quickly, doesn't require a second step, stays put, and isn't tacky/sticky or drying. I just wish it didn't have the department store price tag, but it's worth it. You'll get a lot of use out of it as long as you keep the cap on.

At first I panicked when, after a few uses, my fairly-new pen was "drying out" and not applying, but that was easily fixed by storing the pen upside-down. :) Now it works consistently.

I love this product!

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

Not bad. Other reviewers have pretty much said all that needs to be said: exfoliate lips before use; product can be drying; is capable of lasting a long while, but not as long as the product states, etc.

Guess what, though! Victoria's Secret cosmetics sells a similar product for $12. They have many colors to choose from, too. They seem to be smaller, but these marker pens have a propensity to dry out (I had one from Urban Decay that was the size of the Pixi one that dried out after not too long), so a smaller one may not be such a bad idea...

These pens may relatively be the same, and preference could come down to color choice and price.

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

Four shades of Lip Blush are available at Target, and two additional shades are available at pixibeauty.com. I chose Purity, which is depicted on the swatch, tube and box as a ďnude,Ē brownish color. The box recommends that Lip Blush be applied to dry, clean, grease-free lips. They claim that it stays on for three to eight hours and that one tube lasts for 100-150 applications.

The Lip Blush tube is shaped like a marker and has a felt-tip applicator like one, too. This isnít really a new idea; this type of applicator has been used for lip stains by Sephora, Bella Il Fiore, and Avonís mark line, among others. But I do think this is a more effective way to apply a water-based lip stain than the brush provided with Benetint. This applicator is also the most travel-friendly kind of lip color Iíve found: It doesnít leak, melt or break easily.

You may want to exfoliate your lips before application because any dryness or flakiness will be highlighted by the stain (use a lip exfoliator or just gently scrub your lips with a toothbrush or washcloth); this also helps clean oils and grease off your lips for better staining. Application is simple: Line your lips with the tip of the pen and then fill in.

After application, the texture is slightly tacky, which worried me. But after a minute or so, the tackiness disappears. I find lip stains like this (Benetint included) to be a little drying (especially when used immediately after exfoliating), so I usually top with gloss or balm, though the oil in a balm/gloss contributes to the stain wearing off more quickly. For comfort, smooth on a bit of Smithís Rosebud Salve. For a longer-lasting stain, skip it.

Despite the color depicted on the packaging, Purity, on me, looks dark pink. My lips are naturally pink, so this enhanced my natural lip color. I appreciate the matte quality of the stain; it looks very natural. The Lip Blush smells like a fruity cocktail, but the smell dissipates within moments. I didnít notice a distinct taste.

If I use balm, or if I eat or drink while wearing this stain, it disappears within two to three hours. I have not been able to test it past it much past those limits (I yield to lip balm use within the hour, normally).

PROS:

* Good applicator
* Travel-friendly
* Natural, matte color
* Reasonable staying power (2-3 hours)

CONS:

* Can be drying
* May need to exfoliate before application
* Color not as expected
* Expensive

VERDICT: Though the color wasnít exactly what I expected, I still liked the result. I wear natural-looking makeup often, so I can see myself using this pen a lot. The dryness is easily remedied, and since the packaging is well-suited to pocket or purse, itís simple to reapply. I would definitely buy this again.