New York Color Smooth Skin Pressed Powder

New York Color Smooth Skin Pressed Powder

3.5

Price: $

Price: $

Talc/Dimethicone/Kaolin/Zinc Stearate/Aluminum Starch Octenylsuccinate/Cetyl Dimethicone/Imidazolidinyl Urea/Methylparaben/Ethylparaben/Propylparaben/Butylparaben/Isobutylparaben. May Contain Mica/Iron Oxides/Titanium Dioxide.

on 5/2/2011 3:19:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse

This review is long but I need to explain.
I've wasted so much money on powders in the last year. Way too much!
My favorite powder was clinique almost powder, because it concealed my pores and gave me a perfect matte finish over my foundation. Well it was getting too expensive to repurchase every few months ($30 CAD) so I started trying cheaper powders.
I tried L'oreal true match powder (oxidized insanely!), Maybelline dream matte powder (ok but not great for dry skin), tons of different mineral powders (bare minerals, everyday minerals, MAC skinfinish etc.) which all broke me out.
A few days ago I was going to grab MAC careblend pressed powder because I read good reviews. I went to MAC and saw it's $27.50 CAD and I just cringed. I don't want to spend so much money on a powder!
Later that day I was walking through the makeup isle in W-mart when I came across the NYC powder. For $3 I thought I may as well just try it.
Well holy **** this powder is better than anything I've used in the past year. Maybe ever.
I have super dry skin and it works so well to set my foundation without making my skin look all dried up.
It looks matte and fresh and hides my pores perfectly. My foundation stays on twice as long with this on.
I am literally in shock that such a cheap product can be so great, but it's true.
I am also extremely pale and the translucent shade is perfect because it doesn't add any funny orange or yellow tones to my face. It's perfect.
The packaging slightly sucks but really for $3 you can't complain.
This powder is awesome and I highly recommend trying it if you are looking for something to set your foundation with.
I will never try another stupid expensive powder again.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

I tried this because I wanted to see if it was comparable to Rimmel stay matte. It's a bit heavier and more powdery but it is more matte with more oil control. The packaging is cheap and feels like it's going to break but for $1.99 I'm not going to complain too much.

on 10/4/2016 4:18:00 PM

I really like this pressed powder! Got this one in Translucent after my Cover Girl TruBlend Pressed Powder ran out. It matched my skin tone fairly well, although it is a bit whitish. It is not too noticeable, though, as I am pretty fair to begin with. I am happy about the amount of product that my brush picks up when I use it. My CoverGirl powder I would have to really try to scoop up the powder with my brush quite a few times before I was able to get an adequate amount. With NYC, I just dip the brush in, rotate the brush, and voila! Perfect amount.

The finish is quite nice. Granted, it doesn't stay all day, but that is not a huge concern for me. It makes my skin look very smooth and has a beautiful silky matte finish. I have a BB cream whose finish is a bit too dewy for my combination skin, so this powder is perfect for fixing that right up. Very good pressed powder for the price if you was a simple but effective daily powder for setting your makeup!

Dupe for MAC Blot Powder? Not really. But this product is pretty darn good. No fall out, unlike my Physicians Formula Mineral Wear Talc-Free Mineral Correcting Powder (the one with the pink, green, and yellow swirls). I use this powder to set my concealer (Essence Forget it!, which is also a great product). Amazingly, when applied with a light hand, the coverage is just as good as the powder foundation I had been using. The difference is that I look less cakey now. It really sops up the excess oil well. So, needless to say, this is my daily makeup now. No more correcting powder and loose powder for this middle-aged lady. This stuff is unbelievable. I will repurchase when I run out.

on 3/14/2016 7:15:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Warm

Hair: Brown, Kinky, Coarse

This was by far the worst powder I've ever purchased. It is very powdery and it does not help eliminate shine for a long period of time a couple of hours at the most. I purchase the NYC smooth Skin Pressed Face Powder Fini Parfait. The shade range is very light with no deeper shades at all. This powder leaves white cast on the face and does not blend into the skin at all. Horrible product and a waste of a few bucks

This oxidized on me badly!! I would only repurchase this if I was totally broke for the rest of the month. Elf's pressed powder is much better. This is thin but manages to make me oilier by mid day than other pressed powders. It's chalky, it's just a mess, & the puff that comes w it is worthless. :/ sorry I hate giving bad reviews!! NYC is not as good of a quality as WnW or elf to me for same $$$.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Dang, this powder is awesome. I saw it at Walmart and it was three bucks, so I thought "eh, why not?" Best powder I've ever used, and for a great price! The packaging is sturdy and doesn't crack or anything, and the product doesn't crumble if dropped or anything. It blands well with my skin and absorbs oil quickly. I've also noticed it gives a very little bit of coverage and smooths out my skin tone and makes everything look even without drying out my skin or being too dark or light. I've also noticed it is a lot less cakey than other pressed powders and won't get packed on the applicator like a lot of pressed stuff does. Highly reccomend!

on 4/6/2013 9:50:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm

It does an okay job at setting my makeup. It's more like an oil absorbing powder because of the kaolin in the powder. It looks cakey on my dry skin. The translucent isn't really translucent so if you have medium to dark skin tone it will show up and look ashy.

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse

Let me start by saying that the first couple of days I used this powder, I absolutely loved it. Now though, it's okay-good but not great. I like the packaging quite a bit, it's lightweight and easy to travel with. And so far I have had no problems with the pressed powder breaking off, like almost all of my other pressed powders do so that is a plus.
While it does brighten up my face a bit and gives me some added color while "mattifying" my liquid foundation... it's results don't last long before I'm oily again. So I started using this powder and then finishing it with Palladio translucent rice powder on my T-zone. The combo of those two costs me less than $10 which I love :) :) :)
That has so far been pretty successful, and I will finish with that powder routine until this product is gone.

on 5/8/2009 12:53:00 PM

So I have been using mineral veil to set my makeup and it has made me shiny rather than setting my mineral makeup and making it last. I recently tried a couple other setting powders in translucent and it made my makeup look white.

This stuff is amazing. It doesn't look chalky or white on your skin. Sets your makeup and I use it once a day to "blot" (instead of every hour with the mineral veil or using blotting papers). Great product and for $3, how can you go wrong?!?!?!? To top it off, the ingredients are TRULY non-comodegenic....they don't just claim that they are. Great find and I wouldn't have even dreamed of trying this unless I read about here on MUA.

My only gripe is the packaging. It's cheap for sure and the compact that I got is hard to close or click. The sponge is also crap, but I never use sponges anyway and use ecotools blush brush to dust this over my makeup.