DHC Retino-A Essence

DHC Retino-A Essence

4.5

on 8/24/2017 9:50:00 AM

Great, great stuff. I'm so sad they're discontinuing it. Gentle retinol, doesn't dry me out or cause breakouts. I use it every other night. Noticed the biggest difference on my hands vs face: it has definitely decreased the beginnings of crepiness starting up on the backs of my hands.

on 4/12/2014 12:10:00 PM

This is good stuff! I used it for years until my skin became sensitive from over exfoliating. But if you have normal skin this stuff will give you a nice glow!! I always try to find products that will give me a glow and I had found a right combonation of products...Dhc has this vitamin c cream in a metal tube... don't. Know the name but in the morning I would put that on then the Egf cream then armani luminous silk foundation and at night retino A serum then egf cream. It is not a cheap combo but it really gives you a healthy glow! Too bad my skin is too sensitive for it anymore...I will however go back to using those after my skin has a long resting period to heal. Till then I use the dml forte then maracuja oil to simulate the glow. But when your skin is really sensitive even maracuja oil tingles.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Very expensive ($40 for 3 sm tubes) but goes on sale from time to time. This makes my skin thicker, smoother and more hydrated. It's in small metal tubes that are sealed to keep the retinol from degrading. I wish it were more affordable as I'd use it all the time. Makes a big difference overnight, for sure. I use a pea-sized amount over neck and face concentrating on areas under chin and around eyes. As usual, DHC has effective, non-scented products at a good price, not cheap but not over-the-top expensive, and they give you loyalty discounts and points, too.

Skin: Oily, Medium, Cool

This product completely changed my skin. Wrinles and dark spots are going away or fading, pores are less noticeable. This literally makes your skin luminous. If I had any complaint about the product would be the price. You get 3 tiny .17 oz size tubes for $40. When it goes on sale I stock up. My HG nightime product!

on 2/14/2009 8:47:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I have used this as my mainstay retinol product for over a year. It calms my acne, smooths lines, and is really very nourishing. I love the three little tubes so you only have to open a bit at a time. I've never had a bad reaction with this product as my skin is very dehydrated, but sensitive too. All the other retinol products I've used have made me break out like mad... I use this after DHC Olive Leaf Extract and Acerola 100 at night, then wait about 15 minutes for absorption and use a night time moisturizer over top. My skin is even toned, calmed and soft by morning! Love it!!

on 10/22/2008 11:37:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

I purchased this while on a 2 month long business trip in a very dirty city. I had no access to retinoids or Avene retinal, this was the next best thing. At first I thought I would burn through the 3 tiny tubes in less than a month. 3 weeks later I had just finished one of the tubes. At a pea sized dollop 3-4 times a week I noticed the following: reduction in breakouts, skintone was more even and bright overall, facial skin felt smoother, guck from pores on nose was very easily extracted (sorry for the detail, but clogs would practically fall out of my nose after every shower), and that pea-sized dollop was enough to moisturize and treat my skin for the whole night. The formula is gentle enough to use around the eye area, but if you have thin skin around that area like I do, use only a very small amount buffered with moisturizer. Although I did not experience miraculous results (my acne scars improved but did not disappear completely, I still had blackheads but they were less obvious) I have to say that I was very impressed by this product and will repurchase again and again.

on 6/26/2008 2:43:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I have used about 3 samples of this and am impressed. I use it around my eyes as I think it would be too rich for my entire face. I don't think it has lessened the lines but it is comforting and does a nice job of moisturising the eye area. I feel it is something you have to use frequently to get good results - its not a quick fix thing. I keep thinking about buying it but am very put off by the price. I'm not sure I could justify the price when my rosehip seed oil is a good eye treatment. Maybe if I got a pay rise.....

I will continue to keep ordering the samples as its a sneaky way to get the product for free. However, I think they cottoned on to this and you can only order the same sample a max of three times in one month - damn you DHC!

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Straight, Medium

EDIT 10/09: I still ise this every day as an eye cream and it's my favorite eye cream ever! Real results, not irritating, no scent, very moisturizing. I alternate it with using Q10 Cream around my eyes and the combo is unbeatable. I'm 30 and want to stave off wrinkles for as long as possible! END EDIT Color me impressed. I have recently gone off my prescription retinoids in the hope that my skin can cope using over-the-counter products. DHC's products are among the best formulas I have ever seen and I have been using their products for several years. I'm hooked on the Q10 Cream and Eye Cream, Acerola Lotion and of course the Deep Cleansing Oil. I've been using Retino A Essence for around a week (I bought it on sale). This stuff is wonderful! I always use Paula's Choice 2% BHA Gel at night and let it dry before using anything else, because it helps retinoids absorb and it's slightly moisturizing. (Previously I was using Differin.) The Retino A Essence is a very light, silky, smooth formula and feels so nice on the skin. I use it all over my face, including on my T-zone. My skin is incredibly smooth and clear in the morning. I will continue to update, but I hope I've found the replacement for prescription retinoids for at least a few years. If you suffer from major acne like I have, please also see my reviews for DHC's new Salicylic Acne line, which in my opinion is a very good, non-drying line of products.

Hair: Brown, Straight, Other

This is the BEST eye cream I have found on the market. When used as a face cream, it is good but expensive. But as an eye cream, it is smooth, effective, moisturizing, non-greasy, economical and is just a plain wonder!!! I cannot rave about it enough.

It took me 2 month to use up 3 sample packs and my undereye area looks years younger, smooth and firm. Because it has retin-A in an emollient wonder base, I know I am putting something medically effective to prevent wrinkles for the long term near my eyes.

I finally shelled out $36 for 1.7 oz packed in 3 separate tubes. Considering most "high end" eye creams retail for $50 for 0.5 oz, go out and RUN to buy this. DHC products are also clean, natural and junk free. They put in the best ingredients.

This is another one of those great products that are "secrets" to only those who are lucky enough to come upon it. Who would have thought of using this as an eye cream? The rest of us spend years trying expensive, heavily marketed, ineffetive products before finding and sticking with the real, genuine, overlooked gems out there.

on 10/13/2004 5:35:00 PM

I really like this product. I like to use it around my eye area, it is one of the few things that keeps that area moisturized all day. Since I have been using it I seem to see less tiny lines and the skin around my eyes looks a little better. The price is okay, I usually buy it when on sale.

Popular Face Skincare Products