Mario Badescu Flower & Tonic Mask

2.8

on 7/20/2016 5:47:00 PM

The only other face masks that I have used in the past were little packets I picked up at my local Target, called Que Bella. I LOVE using Que Bella products, but felt that I would be saving money by buying a larger product like Mario Badescu's Flower and Tonic because I could then get multiple uses out of it. I have fairly sensitive skin, so I did appreciate the fact that my face didn't burn at all when using this product, which tends to happen when I use some Que Bella products. I also liked the scent of it, and the slight granular texture of the mask, as well as the pale green color of the mask. The main problem that I have with this product is that it leaves my skin feeling incredibly waxy, even after washing my face multiple times. To lessen this effect, I would recommend only using this mask on your 't-zone' and then wash your face with a facial scrub afterwards. I did notice my pores looking a bit less noticeable after using this product, which is a plus, but I had noticed that using other products that were cheaper and didn't leave a waxy finish. I would not buy this product again simply because of the way that it made my face feel so waxy.

on 6/22/2016 3:41:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

Hair: Silver, Other, Other

A pretty thick mask and a nice tingly feeling as it dries. My skin feels great, but even when I really avoided my eye area, it stung so much! Left my eyes a red afterwards, but nothing unbearable.

To Read all 64 Reviews, Login or Join

on 6/16/2014 6:11:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

This mask was very nice quality. Nice thick mask. Smelled pretty good. Felt like a mask you would receive in a spa. Felt a minor irritation but didn't sting. Was a little hard to remove.

Simple formula. Strong smell of gardenia but works like a regular drying clay mask.

on 3/3/2014 3:12:00 PM

I have cystic acne and pimples with combination skin. When I read the reviews of this makeup on the Mario Badescu website I thought it would be promising and although it is not a miracle worker, I was happy with the results. I also use from Mario Badescu: Whitening Mask, Cucumber Lotion, Special Healing Powder and the drying lotion and my acne has gotten A LOT better to the point where I don't have to wear makeup anymore. When I run out, I don't think I will buy it again because I want to try the Healing and Soothing mask since I have heard good things about it.
The scent is great and it leaves my skin feeling very refreshed. I do believe it has played a role in clearing up my acne, I always use one of the two masks when I have a lot of breakouts.

on 8/2/2013 11:50:00 PM

I am kind of up in the air about this one...

Admittedly, I should have read the reviews before running out and buying it, but I do not dislike it as much as many others. Yes, it leaves a film, but that's nothing that warm water and a wash cloth cannot get rid of (except around my eyebrows... that takes a bit of scrubbing). And yes, it has a smell, but if I'm being honest, I find it kind of soothing. Also, yes, it is tightening, but I kind of like the feeling in a mask. It makes my skin soft once I have washed it off completely. So $18 USD for a two ounce jar is actually rather affordable.

Now here is where I have a dilemma. I could have gone on using this and been basically happy, had I not tried LUSH's Love Lettuce Face Mask. Compared to this LUSH mask, Mario Badescu's does not hold a candle. You leave it on only half as long (LUSH for ten minutes, Mario Badescu for twenty), has more benefits for my skin (soothing, reduces redness, smells nicer), acts as both a mask AND an exfoliator, and is cheaper (LUSH fresh face masks cost only $6.95 USD). So before using this product, I would have said yes to repurchasing, but now that I have tried LUSH and fallen in love, I cannot see myself ever coming back to this. I will finish off this jar in between LUSH trips, and that will be the end of it.

EDIT: I have completely stopped using this mask even though I have more than half the jar left. I just cannot stand how much work it is to get this mask off my face. And I think the deciding factor is that when I use the LUSH masks, I wake up with soft skin, redness significantly reduced and have noticed a large decrease in pimples. So I have taken this down to one lippie because I just don't use it and have found something MUCH better with a lot less hassle.

on 6/17/2013 11:31:00 AM

I strongly urge all users to do a patch test before applying this mask!! I did not, despite reading all the terrible reviews about this mask. Very stupid of me, cos I got the exact same symptoms as someone else (http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=21904)

The moment i put it on, i felt stinging and burning sensation. I had to wash it off in under 20min (which was the recommended time to leave on). It was hard to wash off, as it left a waxy/ashy film on my face. Immediately, I saw itchy bumps all over, especially on the parts where I applied it.

The next day, the bumps were really obvious, and i had to stay at home over the weekend cos I was too embarrassed to head out. It was so bad as my skin felt very hot to the touch, blistering and scaly. I was very very upset over this; my skin is not the very sensitive kind, and I don't normally get allergic reactions.

I did a lot of googling about my symptoms and realized I had got Irritant Contact Dermatitis. I kept it under control by taking antihistamines and keeping my face clean.. avoiding all harsh chemicals/products for a couple of days. All I used was Cetaphil and Kiehl's midnight recovery concentrate (both are life-saver, will write a review about it soon). The scaly parts are slowly flaking off and healing. the bumps are still there but no longer itchy. I am hoping for the best, so let's wait a few more days. If any of you are affected by this product, take my advice with a pinch of salt/caution. If it is really bad, do seek professional help.

Good for those who found this product useful. As for those who are keen, I cannot stress how important it is to test it out/request a sample. I would never wish for anyone else to have the same problem as I had. Thank you for reading.

on 8/18/2012 4:08:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral

I applied Mario Badescu's skin consulting and they gave me a bunch of recommendation for my skincare. Flower & Tonic mask is one of them and I was skeptical about it. Didn't want to buy a $18 jar so I got a sample.

I tried this two times and hated the result. Sure, it smells good, easy to apply on my face and easy to wipe it off after fifteen minutes. It feels clean after washing it off then next day... My skin feels so rough and itchy. There was tiny bumps on my chin area - yes, clogged pores! At first, I thought it was something else then I tried second time - same result. Rough, itchy and clogged pores!!! Ugh, never again.

on 7/20/2012 12:04:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Tan, Warm

received a generous sample of this from their company. i agree that it does leave a waxy film on your skin. i can see how many would freak out over this. i have combo skin prone to acne so this freaked me out a little (thank goodness i read the mua reviews first!). i patted my skin dry and it felt very balanced though! no tightness or dryness. maybe thats the purpose of the waxy film? my face just feels moisturized! i wouldnt buy this though-there are much better masks out there for less. the smell was pleasant and it dried very quickly. when taking it off, definitely use your clarisonic or a face cloth.

Skin: Oily, Dark, Not Sure

I received a sample of this product from a local boutique that sells the entire Mario Badescu line. I am pretty pleased with the results and am not entirely sure why everyone is complaining. This mask left my skin feeling baby soft, SILKY smooth, very clean and had a slight tightening effect. Unfortunately, the product did little to close or tighten my pores.

I didn't really notice an "oily" or "waxy" film like other users. My skin merely felt moisturized for a frew minutes, then that feeling dissipated and gave way to a slight tight and dry feeling, I think the reviewers who complained of the "film" failed to let the mask dry entirely, I would give this mask 30 minutes on the skin before removing. It also helps to remove this mask with a washcloth dampened with very warm water. Using your hands and water to remove this mask is difficult and will leave residue.

While I am pleased overall by the product, I think I would like to try samples of other Mario Badescu masks before committing to a full-size tub of this. I do think the Flower and Tonic mask is a good maintenance product for de-congesting the pores and pampering myself, but it does NOT perform miracles.

Popular Masks