By Terry Eclat opulent

No Image

on 12/2/2017 2:41:00 PM

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

First of all, let me agree with Mayberry. I feel like I've tried so many high end foundations from Chanel to Tom Ford to LaMer to Cle de Peau to Kanebo Sensai to Suqqu just to name a few. I like the Chanel Lift Lumiere and the Tom Ford stick foundations. They are both pretty decent but I kept feeling that there's a better one for my 60 year old skin.

I actually found the by Terry hyaluronic powder recommended from You Tube and then after being so happy with the powder, figured I'd try the Eclat foundation.

I chose the 10 Nude color and it's a perfect match for my NW 15-20 coloring.

I really like the finish of this foundation. It blends nicely, has decent medium coverage and doesn't accentuate pores or lines. It also doesn't make my mature skin look parched, dry or more textured. Additionally, I think the lasting power is excellent - l give a slight blot to my nose around lunch time and it looks the same at the end of my work day as when I put it on in the morning. I seriously think this is the best long wearing foundation that I've ever used. Others will either make my skin look patchy and dry by the end of the day or just kind of disappear.

I put this on over moisturizing sunscreen and either Smashbox Light or Smashbox Primerizer depending on if I have dry patches. I use a flat foundation brush and then either set it with the by Terry hyaluronic powder or just set the T-zone if I want more of a glow. This foundation dries down to a beautiful natural look and feels silky to the touch - just love it.

This foundation has a floral maybe rose scent to it just like the other by Terry makeup I have. It's not sicky sweet or old lady - not really offensive at all and not super strong but I can definitely smell it. I'd rather have no fragrance but this one is okay for me.

It is crazy expensive but I finally feel that I don't have to keep looking for something better as I am just so happy with this. My HG for the winter!

I have this in two shades - 10 and 100. Shade 1 is too chalky and pale for my BobbiBrown 3 or 3.5 skin. Shade 10 is my light skin tone, when I do rosy, softer looks. Shave 100 is stunning on summer, bronzy looks.
I would strongly advise against purchasing this without applying it to your whole face first in store and going home.. buy the next day if you feel it worked for you. It is not only too expensive to risk but it is very moisturizing and needs to be applied with care so as not to look thick.
Having said all the above, this foundation is for a woman of a certain age who has money to spend and needs a moisturizing glowing foundation with a superb elegant finish. When applied right, and if the very limited shade range suits you, this is hands down the most elegantly natural finish of "good" skin you can get.
As with many other products in the ByTerry range, this isn't made for those looking for heavy, obvious makeup (so common in many tutorials online) - this is elegant and understated. Your skin looks like real skin, only better!
Still do not buy without trying - the consistency and the shades can be tricky.

on 5/27/2017 12:00:00 PM

This is the most expensive - and one of the worst - foundations I've tried. Far from giving my skin a glow, it has an unflattering chalky undertone. And the colour - Neutral - is too peachy for my skin. I'm just hoping it's at least done my skin some good! Although - I've had an outbreak of whiteheads since I've been using it. Coincidence or ...?
I'm now on to Chanel's Belle Mine Creme Gel which is everything I'd hoped for from Eclat Opulent. Dewy, glowy, natural-looking - terrific!

on 2/23/2016 5:59:00 PM

Hair: Silver, Wavy, Medium

Really, there is nothing else like this. Not even Chanel -- which was my go-to "I Want to Look Great Tonight" foundation.

Pricey, pricey. Must be mentioned. I got it on eBay, which saved 30%. Still pricey -- but one of these is worth the ten others I have in my stash. Really, it is.

I turned 60 last year. I look 15 years younger (good genes and great attitude), but I am wrestling with the whole "less is more" older women should employ with makeup. I'd love to look bare-faced and open-hearted and proud of my laugh lines. With a glow.

With this foundation, Dior's adjustable blush, and some highlighter, I can. I'm happier with my looks than ever before. Or, okay, perhaps I am just happier with ME than ever before.

Don't fear getting older. It can be a great relief and accomplishment.

on 11/6/2014 12:19:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure

This now comes in lighter shades. I own the Nude shade. In my 42 years and after thousands of dollars spent, this is absolutely the best foundation/makeup product I've used. It does not provide heavy coverage. Instead, it gives you light-medium buildable coverage. My skin looks wonderful with no fdn creasing in wrinkles or suiting on top. It's moisturizing enough for my dry skin, and it imparts a healthy glow onto the skin. Under any light, you can't tell you have on foundation....completely seamless. It's really amazing. When ordering online, don't use the fdn numbers as a shade guide. The lowest number isn't the lightest shade.

This product is like a Korean BB cream (which are thicker, creamier than European ones, with incredible slippage and textures) with the coverage level of a light-med foundation. It glides right on, like a creamy, non-greasy moisturiser or silicone-based primer. The finish is satiny and hydrated skin. Pores, fine lines are filled in and imperfections are slightly blurred away. Your skin looks more polished, but people can't see the makeup because it's not cakey or powdery at all.

I like it, and would happily wear this foundation, but it's definitely overpriced. For a similar budget-friendly effect, trying mixing Dr Jartt BB cream with GA Luminous silk foundation (or YSL Teint Eclat)

on 1/28/2013 4:29:00 PM

I bought this foundation last year but never wrote a review because quite honestly I wanted to give it a fair review. I would hate for anyone to spend as much as I did for this product without giving it a long and hard trial. I use it once in a while and then put the jar in my drawer because I honestly have difficulty wearing something this expensive, even though I have tons of different foundations and that really adds up. But I have to tell you the finish on the stuff is magnificent on my skin. It is one color only and adjusts to most medium toned skins. I brought a little jar of this stuff with me to visit an old friend I haven't seen in years and she tried it and she-even fussier than me, and more unwilling than me to spend such a sum is planning to purchase it. This is a wonderful foundation. I as well as other bloggers really would prefer not to scoop out foundation, feel it is not as sanitary as one would like, but still recommend this exceptional product.

on 11/28/2010 10:45:00 AM

Update 7/11: I stopped using this after a while because the product seriously irritates my (very) sensitive skin. I've since found that to be true of most By Terry products. The irritation is quite pronounced--not something I can overlook (without gritting my teeth!). Definitely don't recommend this for people with sensitive (or fair) skin.

Original review: If this product came in a lighter color, I would give it a 5 without hesitation. (And if it came in a better container, I'd be over the moon.) I don't even consider myself all that fair, but eclat opulent is considerably too dark and too pinky-peach for my face. (I haven't been matched to MAC in nearly 2 decades, but I'm around a N15-20, with their C colors being too yellow for me and their W colors typically too pink/peach--in other words, I'm quite neutral.) To use it on my fairish skin, I have to mix it 50/50 with Le Blanc de Chanel. Then it's still slightly off colorwise but the color looks quite nice and after a few moments it melds more with my natural color. I do have to brush it down my neck, and even put some on my decolletage if I'm wearing something low-cut, in order to get face/neck/etc to be a similar tone when wearing this.

So why do I bother with it if the color is a challenge for me? Color issues aside, the product really is lovely. Not heavy at all, and adds color and even tones in a beautiful way. When mixed with the Chanel, tho it sheers out the coverage even more (and it's relatively sheer to begin with), it makes my face look naturally radiant. And the effect lasts all day: the color fades a bit but the overall glowing (never shining, oily or glittery) effect stays. So that's why I put up with all the mixing, etc: it's the sheer, luminizing "face brightener" I've been looking for since I turned 40 several years ago. When I wear it, I look naturally, effortlessly pulled together and luminous. Worth the very high price tag. But please, By Terry--make this in a lighter shade!

on 12/19/2009 12:03:00 AM

This doesn't offer enough coverage It doesn't cover my blemishes or redness... a bit like a tinted moisturiser.. It goes on like a dream. It doesn't feel heavy and it is not oily. It only comes in one colour which will only work for fair to med skin tones. it is a good moisturizer that's about all for me. I don't like the packaging either. Just like the bronze opulent this comes in a jar .
Will not purchase this

UPDATE: I am giving this 4 instead of 2 stars like I initially did.
After having really bad chin breakouts my skin has finally cleared up! I found out it was 20% hormonal and 80% diet. By replacing all dairy products with soy milk my skin is now recovering really well so I gave this another try.. I had too many samples at home.
If you have skin that doesn't need much coverage this is very good. It evens out the skin tone and gives a soft glow with out any shine!
Colour is not great... Although a light colour.. it looks darker than my skintone because it has peachy undertones..
I am a light olive with yellow undertones and I use By Terry Light expert in # 5 "vanilla light " This,needs to be offered in different shades!

on 8/30/2009 5:47:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse

Initially I planned to get this as a mix with some of other heavier pigmented theatrical fdn, however, when I tried it on its own, I was pleasantly surprised by the result. It doesn't covered much if you have skin as "dog" as mine but it does give you that deep abdominal breathing, after yoga kind of glow, absolutely without shimmer/glitter.
I find its quite similar to the plumping fdn (my shade is #5 peach-vanilla) but with less coverage & more glow.
One shade only, someone from light all the way to medium should be OK, but I doubt if it will be good for those with a heavier olive undertone though (I am yellow-beige).
The package truly sucks, its a liquid; have a little common sense, Terry, why put it in a jar ? I wouldn't complain if it is an open-mouth glass bottle (some ingredients may react with plastic).