benefit Cosmetics HOOLA

benefit Cosmetics HOOLA

4.1

on 7/19/2011 2:35:00 PM

I've been a devoted Hoola user for 12 years. Hoola is the perfect shade of naturally tan, without ever looking orangy or cakey. However, I am no longer going to be using this product at the fault of Benefit. The packaging of Hoola is a complete failure.

I've always been annoyed by the fact that it's in a square container, because you can never get all the way to the corners of the counter intuitive box it comes in, and a ton of product goes to waste. I'd say the last 35% of the bronzer goes to complete waste, which is unfortunate because it aint cheap! In additon, the stupid little brush they include is a complete waste of money and materials - I've never used that thing to apply the powder and neither do any of my friends who use Hoola, either.

But what REALLY has caused me to stop using the product is the new box design that just came out. Benefit has reduced the amount of bronzer from .40 oz to .28oz but has kept the price the SAME! They shaved off almost HALF of the bronzer amount, but are still charging $28. I noticed this after my beloved bronzer ran down to the tin after only a week and a half with the new box, and I looked at my old box and low and behold - I saw the new shady change. After contacting Benefit customer service and getting the runaround, it's apparent that they don't give a toot about their customers, and I'll be finding a new bronzer as a result. I can't afford over $30 for bronzer every other week. My 12 year streak has come to an end. They just lost a LOYAL customer.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

I got into "high end" makeup and shopping at sephora about 6 years ago. In the midst of the excitment of new brands and discoverys, I was immediately drawn to benefit boxed powders and the brand as a whole. It was pretty much down hill from there. After the honeymoon phase wore off and I began to branch out into more and more brands, maybe the ones that werent so flashy with gimmicky retro packaging, I *gasp* began to discover that I didn't actualy like benefit products all that much. There was so much out there within the same price range and even cheaper that I absolutely could love and get excited over using every single day and not just the initial excitment of buying the cutest darn little package. And now, that is what benefit boxed powders (and all that other benefit loot that sits prettily and silently in the corners and back of my organizers) respresents to me. Over priced gimmicky, glittery stuff that the teenage and early twentys me obsessed over. I still love adorable packaging as much as the next girl, but as I've grown up and had kids and began to watch my money more carefully, I began to realize that it's pretty ridiculous of me to keep spending so much money on this brand when I havn't really been in love with the actual products! That said, *takes deep breath* Hoola sucks. (for me) It's a light beige yellowy brown that makes my nc20 skin look dirty (and yeah, I'm applying it right!) Plus after struggling with major MAJOR acne for 3 years and spending so much $$ on trying to correct that and f**king my skin up way worse, I finaly figured out that these boxed powders where the culprit and after stopping use of them my face has improved dramaticaly. I looked up the ingredients on zerozits.com and sure enough it was a no-no! I recently bought Too faced Chocolate Soleil bronzer after doing lots and lots of research and highly HIGHLY reccomend that for any skin tone, no matter how light because if you apply it lighly and with the right brush it will look so natural! Not trying to bash benefit or anyone who likes these products, just giving my honest opinion which I really appreciate that from all of you! Couldn't live without all of your reviews! That's my 2 cents. :)
Just for fun, here's a list of benefit products that I have wasted my money on that now go unused because they suck for me:
Hoola
You rebel lite

See?
fun.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

Confession: I'm an geek. A coding, comics-reading, all-night-gaming-session uber-geek. As such, the only light my skin ever receives is from the glow of my computer monitors. I've got to be cautious with what I do with bronzers because anyone who knows me is aware that my skin hasn't seen natural sunlight in about six years.

In comes Hoola to save the day! It deepens my skin tone without making it orange and fake-sparkly. I love how buildable this bronzer is, and the matte quality really lets it excel at pulling double-duty as a contour.

I'm really torn on the packaging. Yes, it's a square box made of cardboard, which is both an impractical shape and an impractical material. But honestly -- I love it. I love the iconic look. I love the plummy colour, and the the little bamboos on the sides. I leave it out on my bathroom counter proudly, wishing I had a female friend who would come by and recognize it, and not a bunch of guys taking bathroom breaks on Halo nights.

Final point: the price. It's definitely one of the pricier cosmetic items I've purchased, costing $33 (CAD$) at the local Shoppers Drug Marts. However, this thing is a whopping 11 grams, working out to $3/gram, not a terrible price (Shoppers charges $2.60/gram for the Physicians Formula Happy Booster products). Part of what you're buying here is a vast amount of product, about double the amount that the average bronzer contains. Personally, I'd prefer it if BeneFit would just cut the amount of product and the price in half, rather than forcing me to buy my bronzer in bulk, when I may never use it all.

That was a rather long diatribe on price points, but in short: this is a great bronzer that you can justify buying with a bit of analysis on product quantities. So go! Pick some up! You too can fake the look of having tanned skin without ever leaving the basement!

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

I got this product about 2 years ago during the summer, and after a long search in Sephora for the perfect bronzing powder, (which for me means: No orange, No pink, No shimmer/glitter And No flowery/tropical scent) I came upon 'Hoola'..i was extremely excited to finally have such a perfect, natural bronzer in front of me, completely matte and golden based, with almost an olive undertone in it, but when i came home to try it, the results were terrible, my face looked like stained with dirt and soil, as if I have walked off the Sahara desert for a whole day during a sand storm... I tried with different brushes (since the little brush attached is totally useless) and technics but nothing seemed to work, i was sad, however i decided to keep it in my makeup drawer and find a way to use it some day later.... That was about 2 years ago, during the peak of summer in nyc,(very humid) but then last week as I was switching products from my everyday bag to my storage drawer (because the change of seasons since my skin tone changes A LOT through the year), i realized i couldnt wear my Becca face powder in Mocha right now because I was way too pale for it... so while digging the cosmetics i stumbled with the Hoola little bronzer and decided to give it another try, this time my skin being way lighter in color, and with a temperature of about 60*f less, and with zero humidity, meaning my pores way tighter as well...after a light dust with T.leclerc in banane, (being the face completely dry and smooth) i lightly dusted my powder brush with Hoola and gave my face a feather touch all over with it....ahhhh!!! big difference from what i remember from 2 years ago!!! this time it gave me a nice and elegant, golden beige glow!!!..so I concluded realizing that this product needs to be used VERY carefully, first: this works only for medium/light, light and even fair skins, as long as it has olive or yellow undertones, second: your face needs to be completely smoothed and already 'sealed' with a good mattifying facial powder, then you add hoola as the finishing touch..So DONT try to use it on a shiny, face to get rid of the shines, because you will only get a mess....and DONT use the brush that comes with it (I dont think anyone does it anyway) Use a big and fluffy powder brush instead, it is VERY pigmented, so dust it VERY lightly, and pass it around your face as if you were only tickling it, and gradually build the coverage as needed...so remember: using it lightly as a finishing touch on a perfectly clean and powdered face is the secret! Also found that if you have a 'luminizing' yellow toned powder underneath(T.leclerc banane) the result is even better, because the 'light' of such powder will come out from the inside out.
Yeah the price is a little expensive for a bronzer, but again a little goes a looong way so is not bad, the packaging is not very glamourous and looks more like a toy of a toddler, but again what matters is whats inside of it... and i dont know if i would buy it again since i still have the entire thing with me and probably will for a long time and by then there will be something new to try for sure!!

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

Benefit's Hoola Bronzing Powder is one of their cult favorite Box-o-Powders. This bronzer is extremely popular among fair ladies like my self. Benefit says that you should "dust this soft bronze powder over your complexion for a healthy natural looking tan year round, it's pure color, no sparkle or shine!" Hurray for matte bronzers, they're a rare breed. I got a little 3g (.1oz) mini Hoola Bronzer in the Ulta exclusive "Sexy Six" value kit, which retailed for $24. The full size of the Hoola Box-o-Powder sells for $28 for 8g (.28oz). That gives my little sample a value of $10 (I paid $4 for it, technically). This bronzer was made in America. Benefit does not test their products on animals; their testing policy can be found in their FAQ. Benefit products can be bought on the brand's website, department stores with Benefit counters, Sephora, and Ulta (and their websites)
Packaging for the sample size of Hoola is kinda crappy. It's black plastic and flips open. The full size of Hoola looks much nicer, a purple cardboard box with a removable lid and bamboo detailing on the sides. the name of the product and Benefit logo are written in aqua lettering along with two piece of bamboo and a small white flower. The full size of Hoola, and all Box-o-Powders comes with a small natural hair brush. I'm not sure what info can be found on the full size, but a full ingredient list and a little bit of company info can be found on the back of this bronzer sample.
The Benefit Box-o-Powders are renowned for their excellent texture. Hoola is soft, but it doesn't kick up any residual powder. This bronzing powder is very finely milled, it almost feels velvety, very luxurious. Its pressed well and feels sturdy in the pan. Hoola has good pigmentation for a bronzer, its not sheer, but it's not too pigmented; even if Hoola doesn't give you quite enough color at first, this bronzer is buildable.
Hoola is a slightly yellowed bronzer with a grey undertone. You know what grey toned bronzers are fantastic for? Contouring. What makes a grey toned bronzer ideal for contouring, opposed to peachier or redder options? Think about it, contouring, when done well, is supposed to give a shadowed look to the face, and shadows tend to have a grey cast to them. Hoola, even though it's grey tinged, is still great for warming up the face. This is a very natural looking tan shade that's definitely best suited to pale to lightly tanned chicks, it won't show up on people with medium to darker skin tones. The best part of Benefit's bronzing powder is that it's 100% matte, there isn't a speck of shimmer to be found. This is really the ideal bronzer for those who are often too lightly complected for most of the orangey-brown bronzers out there. I've become addicted to this bronzer for contouring. I've never found one that looks this natural and is this high quality. Just this little sample size less than 1/3 of the full size will last me quite a while. I barely need to touch my brush to the powder to pick up a decent amount of product. Speaking of brushes, I always use Avon's Glow Bronzing Brush to apply this product, unless I contour my nose, in that case I use ELF's Studio Fan Brush.
I'm really loving Benefit's Hoola Bronzing Powder, it suits my skin tone really well, better than any other one I have. The grey undertone of Hoola makes it excellent for a natural looking contour. The texture of this bronzing powder is great and it possesses perfect pigmentation. Full size packaging is cute and includes a brush that I hear is decent, but not great, quality. I probably wouldn't purchase a full size of Hoola, but if you choose to, it's a good value, the Benefit Box-o-Powders contain a ton of product. If you got money to burn, love the contoured look, and have fair skin, Benefit's bronzing powder in Hoola is an amazing option. When I finish this bronzer I'll be on a quest to find a cheaper dupe, mainly because I think bronzer and other powder products are a silly thing to spend a lot of money on.

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hoola is my HG bronzer! It's completely, 100% matte, and great for natural contouring. The color is also golden-based and perfectly neutral - it doesn't turn orange, pink, or ruddy. Texture-wise, it's soft, smooth, and melts into your skin.

I've found that the best way for me to apply this is to dip the very tip of my SK Powder brush into the box, tap it off, and then apply where I wish. This keeps the application controlled and well-blended, rather than blotchy or muddy.

Price/oz breakdowns:
-Hoola: $28 for .40 oz: $70/oz.
-NARS Laguna: $32 for .28 oz: $114.29/oz
-MAC Bronzing Powder: $22 for .30 oz: $73.33/oz

Comparisons: I've heard from a NARS SA that NARS Laguna and Benefit Hoola are the only two bronzers on the market that are completely golden-based. Personally, I'm not so sure about declaring them the *only* golden-based bronzers out there, but anyways. Given the choice between them, I would choose Hoola over Laguna. Laguna contains significant shimmer, while Hoola is matte; you can always add more shimmer to your look, but you can't take away the shimmer in Laguna.

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

I have been a faithful hoola user for while now, but I think the turning point has been reached and it's time for me to move onto something else. This bronzer has some great things going for it, but it's just not what I'm looking for anymore. To be clear, I do not use bronzer to make myself look more tan (in fact I generally try to avoid this at all costs). If this is something you're looking for I think hoola would be a great option because its matte finish lends itself to a quite natural finish on the skin, unlike many of the glitter filled options on the market. What I (and a lot of other girls) use hoola for is strictly contouring, and in this capacity its matte finish has also been known to be a big plus (shadows don't sparkle). I like to use hoola after I've done all my concealing and foundation, at which point I'll swipe this along my jawline, around my forehead, under my cheekbones and down the sides of my nose. The powder is silky smooth and the brush included is actually soft and perfect for this function.

However, the qualm I have with hoola is the shade. I am a fair asian NC20 and I find that this bronzer just leans much too orange to imitate a natural shadow. In the pan it looks to be a pretty neutral brown shade, and to be honest it is a lot less orange than most bronzers out there. The problem is, on my fair skin the orange undertones seem to show through a lot more making my foundation look much darker and off coloured. I think this could work a lot better as a contour on someone NC30 and darker, but for lighter skinned individuals like me, a more neutral toned ashy shade would be a better choice. I also suspect hoola to be the culprit that clogs my pores occasionally, so sensitive skins beware. I have been experiencing a few bumps on occasion in the areas where I contour, and they seem to disappear when I give me skin a break from this. Finally, the packaging, while cute, is far from functional. The cardboard box gets really beat up, there's no way of keeping the mirror clean, and the square shape makes it pretty hard to get anything besides the included brush to make contact with the pan.

Alas, so ends my love affair with hoola. I am now off to experience new things with NYX's Taupe and MAC's Sculpting Powder in Sculpt! Any other fair girls seeking a contour, feel free to check my reviews on these two in the near future.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Hoola, hoola, hoola... where to begin?! This is my most favorite product of all time... to the point where I've come to the conclusion that if I were ever to be stuck on a deserted island, this would be the one product I would bring with me. I use this everyday to contour my cheekbones, the bridge of my nose, my temples, and under my jawline. It gives me the most naturally flawless look, and it makes it seem as though I have effortlessly perfect model-like features (when we all know it's just the bronzer-shhh). I've been using this everyday for over a year, and I haven't even hit pan yet! It's a bit expensive, but I'm definitely going to repurchase it. The staying power is really good (as opposed to other Benefit products on my skin), and I love that it's matte. It's the perfect color as well- not orange-y or overly chocolate-y like some other bronzers out there. I'm an NC25 for reference! It's about 30 bucks, I believe, which isn't too bad considering how long it's lasted me. I'm not a huge fan on buying expensive products (even if they last a long time)... especially because I'm one who loves trying new things, so I change my routine up every couple of weeks. This, however, is always my one and only bronzer, and therefore, I deal with the price. The packaging is typical Benefit- a bit hefty, but durable nonetheless. I love, love, love this product. It can seriously transform your entire face to glamorous and chic in seconds!

on 6/17/2011 5:01:00 PM

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

I havnt bought this product yet but i wanna save any girls that read the review with the most thumbs up. IF YOU ARE VERY PALE, PAY ATTENTION.

Bronzers i was looking into after sooo much reseach: Tarte matte waterproof bronzer in park ave princess, Too Faced Chocolate, and Benefit Hoola all matte because sparkles are soo tacky. Those are in order being benefit i wanted last.
I live far away from a sehora, so i had my trusty list of things to look into when i went in to a big city for the day with 5 other girls. My list consisted of this along with many other products. We all went into sephora and i went to tarte and swatched the bronzer on the back of my hand, which is a tiny bit darker than my face. It was really orange looking, like more than NYC sunny, which i do like by the way.
So it was a definite no.
Moved onto too face, which was right beside tarte. Swatched it on my hand. VERY pigmented, not orange, great packaging (HATE benefit boxs...) and smelled really nice. I was super excited. So far this is bronzer is looking awesome. Before i bought it, i wanted to ask the SA, is there any other matte bronzers that are lighter than the too faced, she right away grabbed the benefit, which i didnt even wanna look at. She said, let me apply both to your face and see which one you like. My friends watched as she did this. Too face went on first. They were all like NO! WAY TO DARK! my heart sank :( i looked in the mirror and i instanty rubbed it off with a kleenx. I asked her if she applyed it very lightly and she said, as lightly as she could she applied it.
I let her put the benefit on as i was sulking and my friends all said, that looks amazing on you! I looked in the mirror and it did look good. No orange, just a light perfect brown taned look. I was happy.
Moral of this crazy long story. The chocolate toofaced bronzer is awesome. Its everything i want, but im to light. And us basically albinos have to go with whatever is light enough. And i had to go with hoola. Now, i have not used this product on myself yet. Im ordering it online to save me a ton of money along with many other products. I just hope some light skinned girl reads this review after the one by some girl who said that the too facedchocolate one is better, which it is in alot of ways but this one wont let you down if you have white skin. No foundations are light enough for me so if you are like me, your gonna like this.
Some other products i have found that match great are, NARS loose powder in SNOW as well as my only mac product i own studio concealer in NC15. As far as foundations go, i havnt found any.
I will review this when i get it on the staying power, blendability, ect. Hope this helps someone! :)

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

PROS:
- great undertone, very neutral. wouldn't use this as contour even though it runs on the cool side because being a BRONZER, it still has some warmth to it. you don't have to go to art school to know that shadows aren't meant to look orange
- finely milled, won't make your face look like the Sahara Desert

CONS:
- what is with Benefit and their cardboard packaging, I did not pay this amount of money to get a block of powder encased in reinforced paper