MAC Cremesheen - Hang-up

MAC Lipstick in Hang-UpCremesheen - Hang-up Hang Up Cremesheen

4.3

on 9/21/2017 5:36:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

There are a lot of colors out there in the same family as Hang Up. As far as your deep vampy wine fall type shades this is not my favorite. It skews a touch more on the purple berry side instead of the red or pink berry side of things on my nw20 deep winter complexion. It is a really pretty color and looks great. However, when you have as many of these type of shades as I do, you start to get picky. My Hang Up never seems to apply as smoothly and evenly as other similar shades from MAC. Within minutes it looks patchy even if it looked perfect upon application. For example, Dark Side applies smoothly, evenly and the color sits much easier on me than Hang Up on me. If you are interested in shades like Dark Side, Diva, Dubonnet, Media, check out Hang Up as well. The more plum berry tones might be just what your complexion needs. But pay attention to the application before you buy. Perhaps I got a bad one, but I know from past experience, some colors just apply more smoothly than others.

And for reference, I am a deep winter, nw20 who pulls orange out of any shade that has a bit in it. Diva ended up looking like ruby red slippers on my lips when on others it looked like a deep wine red. Media was too dark on me. I honestly don't remember Dubonnet on me off the top of my head. Dark Side was perfection on me. Hang Up can look a little off but can really work with the right blush...it just applies really patchy and bleedy compared to all others I have tried.

I bought this colour as I wanted a deep wine coloured lipstick and although I think the colour is great, the application and texture made the colour slip and not adhere to the lines of my lips like other products. Overall, so long as i apply with a lip brush and tissues I can still rock the vamp look.

I went into MAC looking for a deep berry shade for fall/winter and left with this on the recommendation of one of the makeup artists. I do love the color, but I've found that this tends to look awful after a couple hours of wear (even without eating/drinking). I'm not a big fan of the cremesheen formula for this color, as I think it causes it to slip around and settle into fine lines in a rather unflattering manner. The color is absolutely beautiful and looks great at first, but I found that it requires a lot of touch up. I would not purchase this again. For a rich red, I would recommend Urban Decay's Shame instead.

on 3/8/2013 6:46:00 AM

Hair: Blond, Other, Fine

Of the few mac lippies I own hang-up must be one of my most loved! It's a deep not to blue based purple. Despite the vampy color it's still sophisticated. Makes me teeth look really white! I mostly wear this with a graphic eyeliner look or just a simple eye makeup on a night out. The finish is very dewy and creamy and as with all the mac lip products the smell is divine! Even though it has a slippery feel to it it's quite long lasting! Lovely product that I would repurchase anytime!

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

Beautiful deep berry purple lipstick. The more you apply, the deeper and more wine coloured the shade can get. My only problem with the is that the finish can wear off easily and settles into my lip lines because it has too much slip...if that makes sense. For a colour this deep, a less creamy formula would be best. This still doesn't stop me from wearing this as much as possible!

Skin: Oily, Tan, Neutral

Too vampy and made me feel like a vampire, ended up tossing.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

I'm NW20 with light brown hair and hazel/green eyes, so wine/burgundy lipsticks really flatter me. MAC Rebel is probably my favorite lipstick (and is certainly my favorite MAC lipstick), as it makes me eyes seem to glow. I have eyes the color polluted water, but Rebel actually makes them look green. I decided that it was time to ditch the light pinks and make wine lipsticks my thing.

So I walked into MAC last week and said, "Gimme something that looks like Rebel." The lady showed me Dark Side, Media, a couple of others, and Hang-Up. They were all really similar! I stuck with Hang-Up because 1) it definitely leaned cool more than the others (and I mean the TINIEST bit cooler), and 2) I thought it would be nice to have something with a creamier feel and finish. I was worried that as a Cremesheen this would slide around a bit, but it doesn't budge. It's more comfortable than Rebel (which is a Satin) and has a shinier finish, but it's just as pigmented. As a plus it wears off evenly and leaves a very faint natural-looking stain. I'd describe it as a true cranberry red, as in: think of the color of actual ripe cranberries you see in the supermarket around the holidays.

So to sum it up: Staying power? Check. Gorgeous color? Check. Pleasant texture and finish? Check. Happy happy joy joy, another gorgeous lipstick! I hadn't bought a MAC lipstick in awhile, but jeez, I forgot how good they are.

on 10/6/2012 2:40:00 AM

Skin: Other, Other, Neutral

On my semi-pigmented lips this color is a deep berry. It is comparable to Makeup Forever Rouge Intense #48 and Chanel Rouge Allure Rouge Noir in color. However, the formula of the MUFE and Chanel lipsticks is far superior. Because Hang-Up is a cremesheen formula lipstick, it is drying on my lips. It feathered after a few hours of wear, though that was fixed with the use of a lip liner. Although the color is sophisticated and dramatic, I would rather pay a few dollars more and purchase a lipstick with a longer lasting and more comfortable formula.

on 12/22/2012 4:41:00 PM

I am a very fair blond, and was looking for a great red for NYE. This is it. Perfect very deep berry with blueish undertones. Exactly what I wanted.

on 1/19/2013 12:51:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

First of all, let me start off by saying that I absolutely adore this MAC lipstick!
Although I am a big fan of MAC products, some of their products are very 'hit and miss', but this lipstick is definitely one of my favourite MAC products!
I went into my local department store and asked one of the artists at the MAC counter to help me find a dark purple/'gothic' shade, and Hang-Up is the one she showed me!
I have the skin shade of MAC NC20 and this shade is such a beautiful colour on me(if I do say so myself!). In the packaging it appears to be a dark plum/aubergine colour, but once on the lips it turns to be a wonderful dark berry colour.
The pro's I have for this lipstick and shade is that it is only 14, like most of MAC's lipsticks, the colour doesn't bleed, it stays on the lips for a good 6 hours, and in my opinion it suits almost everyone!
The only con's I have for Hang-Up is that I think I would love it even more if it was a matte lipstick as cremesheen isn't really my thing, and if the colour in the packaging was the same as on my lips, but maybe I should just use a darker shade(who knows?)
Apart from that, I really do suggest buying this lipstick if you want to go for a different and darker shade that isn't too 'goth'. It goes perfectly with the MAC eyeshadow 'Nocturnelle' (I will do a review for that very soon!), so if you are looking for a new look, this lipstick is the one to buy!
I hope this review has helped you! - Shannon x