Coastal Scents Ultra Shimmer 88 eye shadow palette

4.1

Price: $

Price: $

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

UPDATE ON 12/17/09:Ok I have an updated opinion on this product. At first I thought this product was a bit sucky,but workable. Now I just find it to be plain shitty. Let me start off by saying that I am in no way a label snob nor do I have anything against costal scents at all. I do agree that finding a palette with 88 colors for $35 is a deal,but honestly when I really look at the bigger picture it just is not worth it. To start off with,most ppl recommend this palette for beginners,but I honestly feel that this palette would be something I would use if I were into theater makeup or if I gave this to my daughter to play with(at home of course) and make up her little face,but other than that this palette is not something I feel is suitable for anyone,esp beginners. The colors are hard to blend (even with my udpp,jumbo nyx pencil or my paint pot)because they have a chalky/soft texture,the fallout of the eyeshadow is ridiculous and very dusty( I know eye shadows with glitter have this,but this is beyond a bit of fall-out), the shadows make my eyes look crepey(as another user put it) along with the glitter being very chunky and the packaging is horrible(3 of my eyeshadow pans have fallen out and I DO NOT handle my palette rough). Everyone is a sucker for the prices(which I was too),but honestly sometimes quality is better than quantity. I didn't expect MAC expectations,but I certainly expected to be on the same level as drug store eyeshadows at least. If I were to recommend any cheaper,nice quality type eyeshadows to a beginner, NYX would definitely be at the top(not the trios but the single shadows). I would honestly say to anyone who wants to buy this,maybe it would work for you,but i definitely didn't for me.

on 12/13/2012 4:44:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Tan, Warm

This product is highly pigmented and stay on with good eye primers (I use clarins flash balm, topped off with l'oreal nude magique bb, setting loose powder, eyelid primer and cream eyeshadow prior to application), stays on for the whole 12h on my oily lids. I've made some lovely experimentations but in the end find myself reaching for it rather rarely.

I love the oranges for neutralizing my under-eye dark circle prior to garnier roll-on cafeine concealer. Definitely helps it gain extra longevity.

Nowadays I prefer putting some vibrant colors on my lid, blended with naked shade from the naked palette, darkhorse for the crease and creep for the wing. Borderline of vibrant and natural <3

3 years after purchase, just for the sake of updating my review:
I didn't regret buying this back on my beginner make up university days, but after working for a few years and having kids I would've rather invested my money straight on one of the sleek i-divine palettes that suits my complexion (namely sunset palette). I reached out to it way more, with the UDN and cargo warm neutral palette as well. It's alright for experimentation. Goes on buttery creamy but fades after 1-2 hours even with the best of the primers.

on 3/19/2012 5:29:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

I had been wanting to get this palette since forever, but somehow never got around to it. I finally caved in last week and got myself the 88 Matte/Satin one from an online reseller in my country.

Granted, the quality is somewhat compromised due to its low price. The formulation is chalky making them look caked on my lids, and many of the lighter shades barely appear on my skin due to poor pigmentation. The brighter shades are very pretty, and make me want to get the Shimmer palette. Surprisingly, the lasting power is impressive when coupled with a good primer. One night I wore Coastal Scents shadows with Urban Decay ones to a street party, and I was surprised to find that the UD colours faded while the CS ones lasted by the end of the night. I find that Matte eyeshadows are unflattering to my face, so what I usually do is pair them with shimmer ones from other, better brands.

I doubt I will be using half of the colours at all though. Won't repurchase.

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

i loved this product when i first got it... after experimenting for months and months, i realized many of the colors are too shimmery and makes me look like i came out of an indigenous tribe and just started using make up. horrid! the darker colors are great and all are highly pigmented. the shimmer is just too much in some colors.. i also have the normal 88 palette, but i dont wanna open it when im not even hf way finish to this.. which ill never finish:/
i also used one of the dark purples which stained my lids:(

Skin: Very Oily, Tan, Cool

Hair: Black, Other, Medium

For the price, is definitely cheap. I love how pigmented these are, and the colors are very vibrant. The staying power sucks when worn alone, but I use my UDPP with this and it stays on all day just like any eye shadow when worn with this base. It doesn't irritate my sensitive eyes either, and the color combination are endless. Love it!

Skin: Very Oily, Tan, Warm

Hair: Black, Other, Medium

The color payoff is a bit hit and miss with this one (granted, I haven't used all 88 on the eyes, yet, but just from swatching). However, for someone who very rarely wears super bright colors like me, it's a nice way to have, say, a lime green or sunny yellow on hand for some rare occasion without wasting a regularly sized shadow (or money). The packaging looks pretty durable, but in use, it's a little deceiving. It's not the worst, but it won't hold up to too much wear and tear, so be careful when traveling with it. I'm sure I'll never need to repurchase, but I would recommend it. It's a nice set for a makeup beginner or to go outside of your comfort zone with color without spending too much money in the process.

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

This was my first palette ever and I absolutely love it! its a great product and the price is amazing! They are very shimmery (just the way I like my eyeshadows) and the pigmentation is great! Some colors do not show up well, such as yellow and light orange. I bought this off of amazon, it was packaged very well and did not arrive damaged.

on 2/1/2010 12:19:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

I LOVE this palette so much. The color payoff is great, the color variety is great, and it's so inexpensive. This is a great palette for anyone, from the makeup newbie to the seasoned makeup artist. There are endless color combo possibilities, and it's so nice to have so many options. It's also great to have if you're just starting out with makeup and you're not sure what colors you like and what looks good on you. Of course you have to like shimmery colors as every single color is PACKED with shimmer.

The packaging isn't amazing. They are thick black plastic with a matte finish. It hold fingerprints and probably would not do well with a drop from a tabletop height. I don't recommend traveling with this unless you can give it some padding/protection (like burying it in your clothes or something) I've had the clasp fall out, but it popped right back in. Once in a while I'll have a pot fall out, but that's nothing a little super glue can't fix.

I recommend this palette to anyone and everyone.

on 1/5/2010 11:31:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm

Hair: Other, Curly, Medium

Very pretty range of pigmented colors. I have a lot of fun creating different looks. The eyeshadows are small but you still can get a lot of usage out of them.

The consistency of some of the colors is very chalky and hard to blend. The packaging is cheap and the shadows pop out but thats not a major problem, they can be crazy glued back in.

I like this palette a lot and would buy it again.

on 11/9/2009 3:14:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

Good Palette at a fair price!
I've had it for a year now and still have so much left from it, even for how much I used it. With a primer the colors really do stand out and are beautiful.
The only negative is that the eyeshadows will pop out of their spots, but with a little hot glue you can easily glue them back down.
Great Palette for beginners or someone who doesn't want to spend a fortune on higher end products!