Coastal Scents Ultra Shimmer 88 eye shadow palette

Price: $

Price: $

on 12/13/2012 4:44:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Tan, Warm

This product is highly pigmented and stay on with good eye primers (I use clarins flash balm, topped off with l'oreal nude magique bb, setting loose powder, eyelid primer and cream eyeshadow prior to application), stays on for the whole 12h on my oily lids. I've made some lovely experimentations but in the end find myself reaching for it rather rarely.

I love the oranges for neutralizing my under-eye dark circle prior to garnier roll-on cafeine concealer. Definitely helps it gain extra longevity.

Nowadays I prefer putting some vibrant colors on my lid, blended with naked shade from the naked palette, darkhorse for the crease and creep for the wing. Borderline of vibrant and natural <3

3 years after purchase, just for the sake of updating my review:
I didn't regret buying this back on my beginner make up university days, but after working for a few years and having kids I would've rather invested my money straight on one of the sleek i-divine palettes that suits my complexion (namely sunset palette). I reached out to it way more, with the UDN and cargo warm neutral palette as well. It's alright for experimentation. Goes on buttery creamy but fades after 1-2 hours even with the best of the primers.

on 3/19/2012 5:29:00 AM

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

I had been wanting to get this palette since forever, but somehow never got around to it. I finally caved in last week and got myself the 88 Matte/Satin one from an online reseller in my country.

Granted, the quality is somewhat compromised due to its low price. The formulation is chalky making them look caked on my lids, and many of the lighter shades barely appear on my skin due to poor pigmentation. The brighter shades are very pretty, and make me want to get the Shimmer palette. Surprisingly, the lasting power is impressive when coupled with a good primer. One night I wore Coastal Scents shadows with Urban Decay ones to a street party, and I was surprised to find that the UD colours faded while the CS ones lasted by the end of the night. I find that Matte eyeshadows are unflattering to my face, so what I usually do is pair them with shimmer ones from other, better brands.

I doubt I will be using half of the colours at all though. Won't repurchase.

on 11/17/2011 4:01:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

Wow. These are some of the best pigments that I have thus experienced from powder eye shadows outside of the more expensive brands. Some of the shades are even better than the department store colors equivalent. For such rich pigmentation, these products are very easy to blend and layer over each other. My favorite pigments are the purples and the reddish tones. There is a huge variety in color choices! However, a lot of the very tiny pans pop out as you travel with the palette. I love the variety of combinations and looks that can be created from these lustrous colors! Definitely need to stock up on this product.

Skin: Very Oily, Tan, Cool

Hair: Black, Other, Medium

For the price, is definitely cheap. I love how pigmented these are, and the colors are very vibrant. The staying power sucks when worn alone, but I use my UDPP with this and it stays on all day just like any eye shadow when worn with this base. It doesn't irritate my sensitive eyes either, and the color combination are endless. Love it!

on 7/1/2010 8:29:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Tan, Warm

this is 25cents per eyeshadow. coastal scents was having a sale. Its amazing that this is quite pigmented. I was not expecting quality but this a organized way to have all colors in one palette. I am having an indian style wedding, so I will keep this in my bridal room so my bridesmaids can use this to create their dramatic looks. The browns are exquisite as well, perfect for everyday, or creating a kim kardasian smokey eye look. I probably wont buy again maybe for someone else, but I guess I am set for next 10 years with this palette. EDIT: I disagree with Babystole's....review above. This may not work for lighter girls, but I have NC40 skintone, and these shades are perfect color saturation. I have bought many many palettes that just didnt show up on my skintone and ran chalky. This palette has the perfect intensity to show up on medium/tan skin. Most colors look very pretty on me, and I get alot of compliments on it. I reserve the brighter colors for night time, and I get just as many oohhs..and ahhs..from girls AND guys.

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

i loved this product when i first got it... after experimenting for months and months, i realized many of the colors are too shimmery and makes me look like i came out of an indigenous tribe and just started using make up. horrid! the darker colors are great and all are highly pigmented. the shimmer is just too much in some colors.. i also have the normal 88 palette, but i dont wanna open it when im not even hf way finish to this.. which ill never finish:/
i also used one of the dark purples which stained my lids:(

Skin: Very Oily, Tan, Warm

Hair: Black, Other, Medium

The color payoff is a bit hit and miss with this one (granted, I haven't used all 88 on the eyes, yet, but just from swatching). However, for someone who very rarely wears super bright colors like me, it's a nice way to have, say, a lime green or sunny yellow on hand for some rare occasion without wasting a regularly sized shadow (or money). The packaging looks pretty durable, but in use, it's a little deceiving. It's not the worst, but it won't hold up to too much wear and tear, so be careful when traveling with it. I'm sure I'll never need to repurchase, but I would recommend it. It's a nice set for a makeup beginner or to go outside of your comfort zone with color without spending too much money in the process.

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

This was my first palette ever and I absolutely love it! its a great product and the price is amazing! They are very shimmery (just the way I like my eyeshadows) and the pigmentation is great! Some colors do not show up well, such as yellow and light orange. I bought this off of amazon, it was packaged very well and did not arrive damaged.

on 2/1/2010 12:19:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

I LOVE this palette so much. The color payoff is great, the color variety is great, and it's so inexpensive. This is a great palette for anyone, from the makeup newbie to the seasoned makeup artist. There are endless color combo possibilities, and it's so nice to have so many options. It's also great to have if you're just starting out with makeup and you're not sure what colors you like and what looks good on you. Of course you have to like shimmery colors as every single color is PACKED with shimmer.

The packaging isn't amazing. They are thick black plastic with a matte finish. It hold fingerprints and probably would not do well with a drop from a tabletop height. I don't recommend traveling with this unless you can give it some padding/protection (like burying it in your clothes or something) I've had the clasp fall out, but it popped right back in. Once in a while I'll have a pot fall out, but that's nothing a little super glue can't fix.

I recommend this palette to anyone and everyone.

Skin: Very Oily, Tan, Not Sure

i love this palette. the pigmentation is wonderful. i have all 3 88 palettes: shimmer, warm, and original. and to be honest, i would have to say this one is my favorite. i think i just seem to be a more of a shimmery person. but it's not unbearable shimmer or too shimmery for all day looks. i think it's still perfect for everyday use. the only bad part was the packaging, i use it so often that 6 of the shadows popped out. but i just super glued them back in. and i also usually tend to just reach the neutral colors and some pinks and corals. i don't like bright colors very much unless useing them for eyeliner. but other than those things. i love this. i would definately buy this again if i ever ran out. haven't hit pan on any shadow yet. :)