Coastal Scents Ultra Shimmer 88 eye shadow palette

Ultra Shimmer 88 eye shadow paletteCoastal Scents 88 Ulta Shimmer Palette

on 1/5/2010 4:49:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

I love the fact that you get to try lots of different colors , most of the colors I wont wear thou, and why there has to be 10 different shades of yellow and orange is a bit odd.
The colors are very frosty! and very chalky, tons of fallout. Very low quality like something you would find in a dollar store. Will definitely not repurchase.

on 8/15/2010 1:58:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I am not a fan of this palette. The colours are so shimmery and there is a lot of fall-out when you try to put them on your eyes. Also, the glue that holds the little colours in the palette is coming loose and I had to re-glue some back down in place. The price is good for 88 colours, but the product itself it not very good.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Cool

Liek the rest of the reviewers I was so excited to receive this product. I was also, however, immensely disappointed once I finally recieved it.

Pros:
-Gorgeous colours
-Amazing range (like, 5-6 different purples - though, sometimes hard to tell apart!)
-Pretty Shimmer, though some are less "glittery" than others, which is kind of nice
-They really take pains to package it up well - came in big box with lots of paper and bubble wrap

Cons:
-tiny shadows, smaller than dime size (affects application a bit)
-The darkest colours don't have much pigment - need to keep reapplying
-They don't go on smoothly; hurts my eyes to keep blending!! Especially some of the more pigmented colours go on a bit blotchy.
-TONS of fallout - be prepared to completely clean your face once you've applied the shadows; you can't have any other makeup on prior.
-They stain. They stain whatever surface they hit. If I have fallout and I rub it away, forget it. Some of the darker colours also stain my brushes. I couldn't get the turqouise off after washing several times.

Ultimately: a fun addiction to your eye shadow collection if you want to play around with some different looks. But if it's your only eyeshadows ... well, you're not going to have the best quality and you are going to have to fuss with them quite a bit.

i had heard all this hype about the shimmer palette, and was so excited for it to arrive, but was extremely dissapointed, but for the price, i guess i couldnt expect much. The color range was beatiful and i was impressed with that but as i went to use more and more of the colors, i realized that they were extremely different with pigmentation, and they varied in texture as well....i may be the only one, but i definitely dont reach for this much..

I received this palette a few months ago after hearing all of the rave about it. When I initially opened it (it was packaged well, and no colors were broken), I was astounded by the beautiful colors and the fact that there were 88 of them!! I immediately swatched about 10 of the colors, and they were all nicely pigmented. I was so excited to use it!

And then I finally used it, and now I must say I am not nearly as impressed as when I first opened it and swatched the colors. I think one of the most annoying things about this palette is how soft the shadows are. The fallout is absolutely ridiculous with every color I've tried. It totally deters me from the palette every time I consider using it again. When I finally decide to give it another try with a color I haven't yet used, the same thing happens.

Also, they blend terribly. As soon as you begin to blend, the more you blend, the more the color falls out and fades.

The other thing I noticed was how chalky some of the colors are, which I'm sure contributes to the fallout and difficulty blending. It's like the entire time you're putting on the eyeshadow you're trying to play catch-up.

I had also heard that the four colors to the top left are great for highlights. Again, I'd have to disagree with this. From top to bottom of those four:
The one in the very top left is a creamy white that is one of the most chalky colors in the palette. It looks beautiful when you swatch it, but when you put it on, it looks so chunky and glittery that by the time you've blended it, you have shimmer all over your face.
The next one down has sort of a purple/pink sheen to it, it's not glittery at all (which is a good thing). I will admit I do occasionally turn to this color because it's not chalky and I like the purple-ish sheen.
The next two down follow the same way the first two do. The next is chalky and too shimmery (although a bit more yellow and not quite as bad as the first), and the next is like the second one I listed (with the same purle-ish sheen), but it's a bit more pink.

On a personal note, I do tend to like shimmers, but some of these colors seem straight up glittery, I feel like I'm 10 years old experimenting with Limited Too makeup.

Oh, and none of the pans have fallen out or broken for me.

I'm giving it 3 lippies for 3 reasons:
You really cannot beat the fact that you're getting 88 different colors. The benefit of this is if you're in need of one specific color you just can't find anywhere, or you're doing your makeup but wished you had a certain color right then.

The second reason is the price. $20 for 88 shadows makes them a little less than a quarter each. (They're exactly the size of a dime, by the way)

The last reason is it's good if you want to try and see what colors you find yourself using more frequently, and buy better quality colors that match. So it makes it a pretty good idea for someone just starting out in makeup. So say for example you think you'd wear a lot of purple eye shadow, so you run out and buy an $18 purple eye shadow that you realistically end up not using. With the palette, you can see if you actually find yourself going for the purples, or you may decide you don't really like using purple eye shadows.

So overall, I personally would not purchase this product again. However, it's not a bad staple palette to own for the cheap price and the amount of colors you get. It would also be a good idea for someone just starting in makeup.

Hair: Black, Curly, Fine

I've heard so much hype about this palette and how it's very comparable to Mac eyeshadows so I ordered it and was very happy when I recieved it. The packaging was great and nothing had broken during shipping, but as I tried on the eyeshadows I wasn't so happy anymore. Even with a primer the lighter colors hardly show up and it has a kind of chunky texture to it. There is way way too much fallout and my whole entire face ends up a shimmery mess afterwards so I always have to stick some tissue on my cheeks before I apply it. The darker colors are amazing and I love them, but there's still an issue with fallout. I also have somewhat sensitive skin and have found that when I use these eyeshadows the skin around my eyes becomes very itchy and causes my eyes to water and burn or it could just be the new brushes I bought thats irritating my skin. Overall the pigmentation is great on most of the colors except for the very light ones, but the fallout is horrible. It's not too comparable to Mac, but it gets the job done. If something happened to my palette I would buy another one just because the price is great, but I would definitely stick to my Mac and Urban Decay.

on 10/5/2010 5:51:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I got this palette from someone who bought it on a website and got a second one after some damages to the first one. I payed it ridicolously low, because of this, something like 6$ incl. shipping. the palette arrived in perfect conditions. In the beginning I did not really like it. I thought the colors were definetly TOO frosty and shimmery, and too "teenager" like. then I started learning how to use them, blend them properly, and now I have to say it's one of my favourite products for day and night looks. of course for the day I stick with more neutral colors, bronze, golden, browns... but for the night I can do crazy looks with pink or purple, bright greens, and lots of colors I would never buy in single eyeshadows.
I have to say it took me some time to appreciate it, but now I could not live without it! some colors are really beautiful, and I like it much more than the 120 colors.
I think I will purchase soon the 88warm color, as a daily makeup product. all in all I really love this product, it's so cheap and the colors are really pigmented. as other girls said, is just a must-have.

on 9/18/2010 11:37:00 AM

I'm going to be a total hypocrite for this review. I normally hate, hate, hate shimmery/glittery shadows, but this pallette somewhat changed my mind.

I have the regular 88 color pallette and I use the shimmer one more. THe colors are beautiful and blend much better than the matte shades in the other pallette.

I don't use this as much as I should, but the colors are pretty crazy and you can't really wear them on a daily basis.

on 11/26/2009 12:29:00 PM

I really loved this palette the shadows were really pigmented, there was some fallout but I didn't really mind but the packaging is cheap. It fell once, not even from that far up and COMPLETELY shattered, there were maybe 15 shadows that weren't destroyed so I had to throw it out. I would buy it again if they made the packaging a little sturdier.

on 9/14/2009 1:27:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I have to say that i use this pallete ALOT! A lot of the colors are neutral and therefore easy to wear by themselves while others are good to try out to see if you like em (brighter colors) However, I do have some cons to share:
-colors move around a little bit
-the shadows are crazy small

overall though I really like this product!