Coastal Scents Ultra Shimmer 88 eye shadow palette

Ultra Shimmer 88 eye shadow paletteCoastal Scents 88 Ulta Shimmer Palette

3.5

Price: $

Price: $

This is a hell lot of colours! They look much better when applied wet and a little dip of the brush picks up a lot of shadow. Its rather easy to blend and apply which is good for me cuz i'm a rookie at eye makeup. Yes i will repurchase this after a long time... there are just so many colours! EDIT: i swatched the pinks and reds on the back of my hand and despite using an oil based Fancl makeup remover these colours did not wash off completely. A tinge of colour remained on my skin and i practically had to scrub it off. If its so hard to remove these colours can pretty much stain your eyelids. Its now a NO for me. Sorry coastal scents! Ps: its made in china.

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure

I was super excited to buy this palette, as it was the first big eyeshadow palette that I had ever bought. I originally thought that Coastal Scents was the actual manufacturer of this product, but soon found out thereafter that this palette is mass distributed and is actually made in China. There are several makeup companies that sell this exact same palette for at different prices. However, the cheapest place to buy it from is actually off of eBay.

The colors of the eye shadows that come within this palette are beautiful and appear at hindsight to be highly pigmented. However, if you do not apply a good eyeshadow primer/eyeshadow base underneath these eye shadows they aren't long-lasting at all, won't show up highly pigmented, and will definitely crease. Plus, the eye shadows are quite powdery as well.

Overall, I was not very impressed with this palette as a whole. And, do not plan to ever re-purchase it again. As, it is not of high quality.

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm

When I ordered this product, I was very excited for it. There is every color under the sun and it is so beautiful to look at. The packaging is flimsy though, so one the eyeshadows was broken, and soon one of them dropped out and got destroyed( not that I was partial to that color). But the more I used them, the more I realized that the quality was rather poor. The colors were very dusty and kind of chalky, and it was hard to get good color pay off, especially on my dark lids. And if I rubbed them, the color would completely fade and the shimmer would be left. To be honest, I practically never reach for this palette because alot lf the colors just aren't good quality. That being said, it is great as a beginner palette because it gives you to the chance to experiment with colors and is good as a backup palette for when you need a color but don't have it any other palette, and it's a good deal overall. But don't expect great quality from the colors

on 12/13/2012 4:44:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Tan, Warm

This product is highly pigmented and stay on with good eye primers (I use clarins flash balm, topped off with l'oreal nude magique bb, setting loose powder, eyelid primer and cream eyeshadow prior to application), stays on for the whole 12h on my oily lids. I've made some lovely experimentations but in the end find myself reaching for it rather rarely.

I love the oranges for neutralizing my under-eye dark circle prior to garnier roll-on cafeine concealer. Definitely helps it gain extra longevity.

Nowadays I prefer putting some vibrant colors on my lid, blended with naked shade from the naked palette, darkhorse for the crease and creep for the wing. Borderline of vibrant and natural <3

3 years after purchase, just for the sake of updating my review:
I didn't regret buying this back on my beginner make up university days, but after working for a few years and having kids I would've rather invested my money straight on one of the sleek i-divine palettes that suits my complexion (namely sunset palette). I reached out to it way more, with the UDN and cargo warm neutral palette as well. It's alright for experimentation. Goes on buttery creamy but fades after 1-2 hours even with the best of the primers.

on 3/19/2012 5:29:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

I had been wanting to get this palette since forever, but somehow never got around to it. I finally caved in last week and got myself the 88 Matte/Satin one from an online reseller in my country.

Granted, the quality is somewhat compromised due to its low price. The formulation is chalky making them look caked on my lids, and many of the lighter shades barely appear on my skin due to poor pigmentation. The brighter shades are very pretty, and make me want to get the Shimmer palette. Surprisingly, the lasting power is impressive when coupled with a good primer. One night I wore Coastal Scents shadows with Urban Decay ones to a street party, and I was surprised to find that the UD colours faded while the CS ones lasted by the end of the night. I find that Matte eyeshadows are unflattering to my face, so what I usually do is pair them with shimmer ones from other, better brands.

I doubt I will be using half of the colours at all though. Won't repurchase.

on 5/4/2009 7:35:00 PM

Definitely not a buy again, that should indicate something.
It is, for 20 dolalrs, the nicest, most pigmented palette you will get that actually reflects the color in the pan to a high extent! gasp. To own all the colors, it's a must buy for sure, and the 20 dollars won't set you back in the slightest.
Let's be clear though.
33% of the colors are velvety / hard.
The remaining have this horrid texture, like lustres from your worst nightmares. Gritty, chunky, and cannot get it out of the pan unless you physically scrape it with your fingernail, and fallout is KILLER. Blending is near impossible.
Still. The colors are nice. I mean. Damn, they're nice. Bright, colorful, everyone's favorite color will be here, and for that, more than worth it.

on 12/24/2011 10:27:00 AM

this is the same as the original 88 palate with shimmer added to the colours.

this is what you get :-

1. 8 rows of each colour going from light to dark.
2. very good pigmentation, easily bendable, hardly any fallout.
3. only a few colours that don't apply well or a little chalky.
4. decent amount of shimmer, never over the top!
5. 80% colour 15% dark and warm 5% highlighter and unique.

I like this palate alot, at first I got tricked by the name into thinking this would be glitter overload but it's really not, the shimmer is nice without being to chunky or inappropriate for daily use!

if you have the original matted one then get this as well, the shimmer in the colours gives them a different finish making it alot of fun to play with and try new looks when combined with the original.

personally I tend to use the matted one more and this one to blend in a little spice to the look in the end which makes it worth having.

This is a lovely palette! Since it's named the 88 Ultra Shimmer palette I was expecting the colours to be ultra shimmery, even more so than the Metal Mania Palette. I am glad the eyeshadows don't look too shimmery on my NC44 skin. I do notice that some of the shadows have less pigmentation than others and some of the pale beige and light colours are harder to blend. However, there are so many nice colours in this palette that are nicely pigmented it makes up for the ones that are not as nicely pigmented! The green shades are well represented, with so many greens available. If you are a green eyeshadow lover I think you will be happy with this palette. There are also some nice gold toned shadows, and bronzes. So many options! I've discovered using a small amount of Urban Decay Primer Potion and then applying my MAC Paint Pot in Soft Ochre or Painterly on top of UDPP seems to really help these shadows stay on 10 + hours on my oily lids.

Skin: Very Oily, Tan, Cool

Hair: Black, Other, Medium

For the price, is definitely cheap. I love how pigmented these are, and the colors are very vibrant. The staying power sucks when worn alone, but I use my UDPP with this and it stays on all day just like any eye shadow when worn with this base. It doesn't irritate my sensitive eyes either, and the color combination are endless. Love it!

on 10/5/2010 11:43:00 AM

Affordable, easy to layer and work with, and really that is all I ask for when I do make-up. It certainly is not MAC or Chanel but it does it's job and lasts through the day. I prefer to use a neutral eyeshadow base on my clients prior to applying shadow and I like to use this shimmer palette as highlighters on top of matte shadows.