Coastal Scents Ultra Shimmer 88 eye shadow palette

3.5

Price: $

Price: $

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm

When I ordered this product, I was very excited for it. There is every color under the sun and it is so beautiful to look at. The packaging is flimsy though, so one the eyeshadows was broken, and soon one of them dropped out and got destroyed( not that I was partial to that color). But the more I used them, the more I realized that the quality was rather poor. The colors were very dusty and kind of chalky, and it was hard to get good color pay off, especially on my dark lids. And if I rubbed them, the color would completely fade and the shimmer would be left. To be honest, I practically never reach for this palette because alot lf the colors just aren't good quality. That being said, it is great as a beginner palette because it gives you to the chance to experiment with colors and is good as a backup palette for when you need a color but don't have it any other palette, and it's a good deal overall. But don't expect great quality from the colors

on 12/13/2012 4:44:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Tan, Warm

This product is highly pigmented and stay on with good eye primers (I use clarins flash balm, topped off with l'oreal nude magique bb, setting loose powder, eyelid primer and cream eyeshadow prior to application), stays on for the whole 12h on my oily lids. I've made some lovely experimentations but in the end find myself reaching for it rather rarely.

I love the oranges for neutralizing my under-eye dark circle prior to garnier roll-on cafeine concealer. Definitely helps it gain extra longevity.

Nowadays I prefer putting some vibrant colors on my lid, blended with naked shade from the naked palette, darkhorse for the crease and creep for the wing. Borderline of vibrant and natural <3

3 years after purchase, just for the sake of updating my review:
I didn't regret buying this back on my beginner make up university days, but after working for a few years and having kids I would've rather invested my money straight on one of the sleek i-divine palettes that suits my complexion (namely sunset palette). I reached out to it way more, with the UDN and cargo warm neutral palette as well. It's alright for experimentation. Goes on buttery creamy but fades after 1-2 hours even with the best of the primers.

Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure

I like this palette. I bought it about a year or two ago on amazon. I do kinda regret not searching eBay because you can find it from the originals in China for a much cheaper price. Lesson learned but moving on this is a great palette and it is a better alternative to buying single pots of eye shadows. The colors are gorgeous and to make the colors last all day and not crease use an eye primer/base. I use the NYX one. Other than that it doesn't last without a base/primer underneath.

The one complaint I have about this is from whoever shipped this from amazon didn't package well because when I got it a few of the eye shadow pots were out of place.

on 3/19/2012 5:29:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

I had been wanting to get this palette since forever, but somehow never got around to it. I finally caved in last week and got myself the 88 Matte/Satin one from an online reseller in my country.

Granted, the quality is somewhat compromised due to its low price. The formulation is chalky making them look caked on my lids, and many of the lighter shades barely appear on my skin due to poor pigmentation. The brighter shades are very pretty, and make me want to get the Shimmer palette. Surprisingly, the lasting power is impressive when coupled with a good primer. One night I wore Coastal Scents shadows with Urban Decay ones to a street party, and I was surprised to find that the UD colours faded while the CS ones lasted by the end of the night. I find that Matte eyeshadows are unflattering to my face, so what I usually do is pair them with shimmer ones from other, better brands.

I doubt I will be using half of the colours at all though. Won't repurchase.

on 12/24/2011 10:27:00 AM

this is the same as the original 88 palate with shimmer added to the colours.

this is what you get :-

1. 8 rows of each colour going from light to dark.
2. very good pigmentation, easily bendable, hardly any fallout.
3. only a few colours that don't apply well or a little chalky.
4. decent amount of shimmer, never over the top!
5. 80% colour 15% dark and warm 5% highlighter and unique.

I like this palate alot, at first I got tricked by the name into thinking this would be glitter overload but it's really not, the shimmer is nice without being to chunky or inappropriate for daily use!

if you have the original matted one then get this as well, the shimmer in the colours gives them a different finish making it alot of fun to play with and try new looks when combined with the original.

personally I tend to use the matted one more and this one to blend in a little spice to the look in the end which makes it worth having.

on 9/3/2011 6:28:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

I hardly leave any 5 or 4 star reviews but this is totally worth it.Pigmentation is great and it has a good staying power.There are 5-6 colours who turn out a bit chalky (some yellows and a blue electric) and not so great but overall I'm really satisfied with the value for money.I would actually give it 4.5 stars. Anyway I think it's pretty good for starters.....

This is a lovely palette! Since it's named the 88 Ultra Shimmer palette I was expecting the colours to be ultra shimmery, even more so than the Metal Mania Palette. I am glad the eyeshadows don't look too shimmery on my NC44 skin. I do notice that some of the shadows have less pigmentation than others and some of the pale beige and light colours are harder to blend. However, there are so many nice colours in this palette that are nicely pigmented it makes up for the ones that are not as nicely pigmented! The green shades are well represented, with so many greens available. If you are a green eyeshadow lover I think you will be happy with this palette. There are also some nice gold toned shadows, and bronzes. So many options! I've discovered using a small amount of Urban Decay Primer Potion and then applying my MAC Paint Pot in Soft Ochre or Painterly on top of UDPP seems to really help these shadows stay on 10 + hours on my oily lids.

Skin: Very Oily, Tan, Cool

Hair: Black, Other, Medium

For the price, is definitely cheap. I love how pigmented these are, and the colors are very vibrant. The staying power sucks when worn alone, but I use my UDPP with this and it stays on all day just like any eye shadow when worn with this base. It doesn't irritate my sensitive eyes either, and the color combination are endless. Love it!

on 10/5/2010 11:43:00 AM

Affordable, easy to layer and work with, and really that is all I ask for when I do make-up. It certainly is not MAC or Chanel but it does it's job and lasts through the day. I prefer to use a neutral eyeshadow base on my clients prior to applying shadow and I like to use this shimmer palette as highlighters on top of matte shadows.

on 7/16/2010 7:05:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Not Sure

PROS
- super cheap, especially on ebay
- just about every colour you would ever need
- makes following youtube tutorials easy because the right color is always there
- the colors are really pretty
- you'll save money by not purchasing expensive bold colors you'll rarely wear
- my palette came from china in perfect condition with no broken shadows
- colors are really well pigmented
- this kills lemmings. I just deliberately duped an urban decay ammo look with this palette and now have no desire to purchase it. aces.
- using this palette will teach you the ropes on how to use multiple colors to achieve a gradient look

CONS
- colors are not amazingly pigmented like nyx quality or wnw quality or mac quality but the pigmentation is better than annabelle and on par with almay
- eyeshadows have a funky smell and they're from a no-name brand from china, where there's poor regulation
- you'll need some matte crease shades or at least a matte highlighter to use with this palette; a full eye with this palette alone will be teenager-shimmery

WORTH PURCHASING?
Yes. This is one of those makeup staples that every girl who is into makeup should have.