Coastal Scents Ultra Shimmer 88 eye shadow palette

Coastal Scents Ultra Shimmer 88 eye shadow palette
Ultra Shimmer 88 eye shadow paletteCoastal Scents 88 Ulta Shimmer Palette

4.1

on 3/23/2009 10:02:00 PM

Sorry to be the dissent here, but I hated this palette. I got the one with the matte case. These are supposed to be the same as the ones with the shiny cases. Mine arrived with several of the shadows loose from the cheap glue they use. The shadows were chalky, impossible to blend, and fall out city. To be fair, I think these may be made to be applied wet, and I applied mine dry with brushes.

on 12/27/2010 9:10:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Kinky, Medium

I just can't good a good colour pay off : (

I do like the many different colours it's great for the days when you feel fancy and don't want to buy all these other colours. The case is okay but mine fell and the lid broke off and the mirror popped out. Not going to complain much because of pricing but I would have liked to be able to get more than drop out of it before it broke.

Over all I'm sad to say I will not buy this again.

on 10/1/2009 9:00:00 PM

I purchased the original 88 palette which has a variety of finishes - matte, satin, & shimmer, and this ultra shimmer palette. The shimmer is just too much for me (chunky with lots of fallout) and makes my eyelids look super crepey and weird. Perhaps it's because I'm getting older, but I much prefer the original 88 palette and would like to exchange this one for the 88 warm palette. I wonder what their policy is? I'll have to check it out.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

While it does come with 88 colours, upon swatching all of them, it's something closer to 30 colours (and that's pushing it!). A lot of the colours are the same - while they look different in the pot, swatched they look very much the same.

The shimmers in this palette are all cool toned shimmers. On that note, this palette is not suitable for the yellow-toned people and better for pink-toned people. The shimmers are not irrespective of the colour, it really is just a silvery sheen on all the colours.

The pigmentation is pretty good for the price ($11 for 88 colours), but it's not great. I've witnessed better from Maybelline. Some of the colours are very difficult to apply (the lighter colours and the reds) and are just too chalky. Most only look good when applied wet.
Blending is a whole other issue. It's difficult, requires A LOT of effort and you do need a really good eyeshadow base. Most often the colours look like they bleed together when blended without any distinct blocks of colour like how I applied and they do crease when lacking my Too Faced Shadow Insurance in minimal time.

I really tried hard to love this palette since it was the first ever palette I bought, but even without much to compare it to (I usually used monos) I sadly cannot love it.

Shipping to Australia was a ridiculous price and if you are hoping for one eyeshadow palette that would be the one palette you will ever need, this is not it. It's best for experimenting I suppose. What I have learnt with this palette is that purples and greens look great on me and I should stay clear from pinks that are not a nude-ish pink and that shimmers really aren't my thing.

Hair: Brunette, Other, Medium

Some of the pros I found with this were obviously the variety of colours and the price. I cant complain too much about the quality of the eyeshadows because the price is so good. I definitely prefer my more expensive eyeshadows like the urban decay shadows. I think this is a great palette for people just starting off with makeup or people who dont really use crazy colour on a daily basis and just want to have the options of colours in their collections (like me)

on 7/10/2011 7:47:00 AM

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Other

I bought mine months ago and have barely used it. The black is chalky. The brights are very pigmented, but I don't really use those colours often as I have bright blue eyes and it can easily look tacky on me. I think it's a great starting out palette, but I have found better (and still inexpensive) shadows.

I didn't buy this, my friend gave it to me for a early birthday gift, *like 6 months in advanced* XD

I like the range of colours it gives, everything from pale to dark colours.
Even though the size of the eyeshadow is small, you still get a lot of colour.

However, I discovered that a lot of the lighter and pale colours have a chalky texture to them, and not much pigment. Which is a bit disappointing, but for highlights, they're ok. Only some of the colours out of each section (blues,reds, greens) showed up on a dark base. I used MAC Paint Pot in Blackground, and was a bit disappointed that only a few colours in the darker side of the palatte showed up. The reds didn't which I was sad about.

A neutral base is probably better for all colours to make them more vibrant though.
I like this palette though, the greens, blues, purples and reds are my favs out of it.
A few of the eyeshadows have fallen out of the packaging, not too happy about, but it's still good for that price.

Would buy from the site, only if they updated their website. I'd like to see a more professional site.

Overall, a good product if you want a large amount of colours for a cheap price.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool

This palette is great because I don't like to use a lot of colour and its great to have just in case I feel like doing something crazy. Its a great value for the money but I think if I had my time back I would have gotten the matte palette instead of the shimmer. Its almost a little too shimmery for my liking and I wear a lot of mattes. However, if you like shimmery eyeshadows....this pallet would be great for you! There is so many options and colour combinations! The pans are only the size of a dime but they last a really long time!

The biggest downfall for me was the quality. They are really pigmented but there is A LOT of fall out (even when I pat it on my eyelid). I didn't realize this until I started using high end eyeshadows that has little to no fall out. I used a gold from this for a look I was doing and I had to redo my concealer there was so much fall out.

This is great for beginners, or for people who wear a lot of neutrals but like to have some colour options in your collection. I said no to repurchase because I don't think I will ever get through this palette and the shimmer is to much for my age. I may use it on clients but I'm starting to increase my high end eyeshadow collection and I am liking the quality of those a lot more.

on 1/25/2014 11:52:00 PM

Right out the gate let me explain why I love this palette, but wouldn't buy it again. As with most palettes there are shades you love and hit pan on pretty quickly, shades you don't love as much but still use, and shades you used once and hated or know you'll never use. Because of that you can go to the Coastal Scents website and buy their Hot Pots. They are larger, slightly better quality, single pan versions of the shadows in their large palettes. You can put them in a magnetized palette, or buy a palette compact through CS. They have a color selector tool that shows all of the colors in their palettes. You find the one you love, click on it, and it takes you to the ordering page for the closest match Hot Pot. So that is why I wouldn't go to the trouble of ordering another 88 Ultra Shimmer palette when I can order the individual shades I love in a larger size. Anyway, onto the review!

*PROS*
~It's affordable. This is for anyone who wants to experiment with color, but can't afford or doesn't want to drop the money on something like the Urban Decay Motherlode or a huge array of MAC single shadows.
~These are shimmery, but I wouldn't call them ultra shimmery. They're definitely not giltter bombs, which pleased me.
~The pigmentation is amazing, but you'll definitely want to use a shadow primer.
~There is a nice range of colors.
~I haven't had any trouble with fallout. Maybe I lucked out.
~These do last quite a decent amount of time and I never had trouble with creasing.
~The packaging is very slim line, so these palettes store nicely in a drawer.

*CONS*
~Some of the colors are very similar, especially the more neutral shades. When applied they don't look very different, which decreases the diversity value of this palette.
~The pans are tiny. I don't know why I didn't realize this when I saw videos on YouTube and women were pointing at the colors and the pans were the same size as the tip of their finger.
~The packaging is very awkward. You have to hold the palette away from you to pop it open and then the lid flies open and the whole thing gets a little unwieldy.
~Some of the shades are hard to apply. Not all of them, but some have that same waxy, yet chalky, consistency I described in my review of the Physician's Formula Shimmer Strips. You can dip your finger in the pan and get color, but you really have to dig a brush in there to load it for application.

on 5/7/2013 6:56:00 PM

This is a great set if you are into creating different looks and not so much into the same "go to look" everyday. There are many colors to choose from, and frankly there are a handful that Im sure I'll never even touch. The price is great, the color payoff is great, and when used with a good primer, it has good staying power as well.