Coastal Scents Ultra Shimmer 88 eye shadow palette

Coastal Scents Ultra Shimmer 88 eye shadow palette
Ultra Shimmer 88 eye shadow paletteCoastal Scents 88 Ulta Shimmer Palette

4.1

on 1/25/2014 11:52:00 PM

Right out the gate let me explain why I love this palette, but wouldn't buy it again. As with most palettes there are shades you love and hit pan on pretty quickly, shades you don't love as much but still use, and shades you used once and hated or know you'll never use. Because of that you can go to the Coastal Scents website and buy their Hot Pots. They are larger, slightly better quality, single pan versions of the shadows in their large palettes. You can put them in a magnetized palette, or buy a palette compact through CS. They have a color selector tool that shows all of the colors in their palettes. You find the one you love, click on it, and it takes you to the ordering page for the closest match Hot Pot. So that is why I wouldn't go to the trouble of ordering another 88 Ultra Shimmer palette when I can order the individual shades I love in a larger size. Anyway, onto the review!

*PROS*
~It's affordable. This is for anyone who wants to experiment with color, but can't afford or doesn't want to drop the money on something like the Urban Decay Motherlode or a huge array of MAC single shadows.
~These are shimmery, but I wouldn't call them ultra shimmery. They're definitely not giltter bombs, which pleased me.
~The pigmentation is amazing, but you'll definitely want to use a shadow primer.
~There is a nice range of colors.
~I haven't had any trouble with fallout. Maybe I lucked out.
~These do last quite a decent amount of time and I never had trouble with creasing.
~The packaging is very slim line, so these palettes store nicely in a drawer.

*CONS*
~Some of the colors are very similar, especially the more neutral shades. When applied they don't look very different, which decreases the diversity value of this palette.
~The pans are tiny. I don't know why I didn't realize this when I saw videos on YouTube and women were pointing at the colors and the pans were the same size as the tip of their finger.
~The packaging is very awkward. You have to hold the palette away from you to pop it open and then the lid flies open and the whole thing gets a little unwieldy.
~Some of the shades are hard to apply. Not all of them, but some have that same waxy, yet chalky, consistency I described in my review of the Physician's Formula Shimmer Strips. You can dip your finger in the pan and get color, but you really have to dig a brush in there to load it for application.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

While it does come with 88 colours, upon swatching all of them, it's something closer to 30 colours (and that's pushing it!). A lot of the colours are the same - while they look different in the pot, swatched they look very much the same.

The shimmers in this palette are all cool toned shimmers. On that note, this palette is not suitable for the yellow-toned people and better for pink-toned people. The shimmers are not irrespective of the colour, it really is just a silvery sheen on all the colours.

The pigmentation is pretty good for the price ($11 for 88 colours), but it's not great. I've witnessed better from Maybelline. Some of the colours are very difficult to apply (the lighter colours and the reds) and are just too chalky. Most only look good when applied wet.
Blending is a whole other issue. It's difficult, requires A LOT of effort and you do need a really good eyeshadow base. Most often the colours look like they bleed together when blended without any distinct blocks of colour like how I applied and they do crease when lacking my Too Faced Shadow Insurance in minimal time.

I really tried hard to love this palette since it was the first ever palette I bought, but even without much to compare it to (I usually used monos) I sadly cannot love it.

Shipping to Australia was a ridiculous price and if you are hoping for one eyeshadow palette that would be the one palette you will ever need, this is not it. It's best for experimenting I suppose. What I have learnt with this palette is that purples and greens look great on me and I should stay clear from pinks that are not a nude-ish pink and that shimmers really aren't my thing.

on 5/7/2013 6:56:00 PM

This is a great set if you are into creating different looks and not so much into the same "go to look" everyday. There are many colors to choose from, and frankly there are a handful that Im sure I'll never even touch. The price is great, the color payoff is great, and when used with a good primer, it has good staying power as well.

Hair: Brunette, Other, Medium

Some of the pros I found with this were obviously the variety of colours and the price. I cant complain too much about the quality of the eyeshadows because the price is so good. I definitely prefer my more expensive eyeshadows like the urban decay shadows. I think this is a great palette for people just starting off with makeup or people who dont really use crazy colour on a daily basis and just want to have the options of colours in their collections (like me)

Wow, what can I say?
PROS:
Tiny size which is great for travel.
Some colors are repeated (about a shade off from the the other) to assure that you don't run out of your fave!
Great selection of neutrals.
Can easily be changed into nighttime makeup.
Little mirror and 2 sponge-tip applicators to use for travel.
You can easily pack on color or lightly dust in on to make a bright color more subtle.
CONS:
Only fallout noticeable is glitter.
A little flimsy packaging..
Some colors are chalkier than others.
Most of the colors have too much shimmer, especially the highlights (which there isn't very much of).

Overall, I really recommend this product. It's great for starters and VERY affordable. I really had to search for cons which took FOREVER!
I use this everyday and come up with different looks. This is great for MUA's to easily find shades for your clients.
(You also get a free sample with your order! :D)

on 7/10/2011 7:47:00 AM

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Other

I bought mine months ago and have barely used it. The black is chalky. The brights are very pigmented, but I don't really use those colours often as I have bright blue eyes and it can easily look tacky on me. I think it's a great starting out palette, but I have found better (and still inexpensive) shadows.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool

I really like this palette, and compared to the original matte 88 palette from CS, this one is much better in pigment and overall texture. Granted I don't use all of the colors, but the really bright ones are fun to play around with when you want to rock a bright, colorful look. The colors I find myself using the most are the cream/vanilla/white colors, the darker browns/cafe and black, and the silver toned ones (which are my FAVORITES). All of the colors have excellent pigment and apply very smoothly. There is a bit of fallout, but it is to be expected with most eyeshadows. The white/silver colors seem to have an almost creamy texture which works great under eyeshadows. The silver brightens up my eyes and I wear this one frequently on its own (with a base underneath {Mac's paint pot in Painterly}) with some winged eyeliner and a cherry red lip. When I run out I will definitely repurchase this palette. I regret purchasing the original 88 matte palette which I hardly ever use because of its' chalky texture and poor pigmentation overall. I recommend anyone trying this if they are interested in creating fun, colorful looks and love eyeshadows. It makes a great addition to any eyeshadow collection, although I would recommend those that enjoy a more neutral look that still has shimmer to try the Metallic Palette from Coastal Scents. It looks truly beautiful on the site, and I cannot wait to try that one out. I have heard nothing but good things about that one as well. It's the next on my list.

I LOVE this palette ! I have some MAC eyeshadows and was able to find dupes for ALL of them . Great quality for such a low price. Some are less pigmeted than others , nut with a primer they work great ! Love, Love ,Love!!

on 5/10/2011 6:10:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

LOVE this palette! Even with shipping to Canada the price was very reasonable. There are so many colors to choose from and so many different combinations. Quality is great, the colors last all day (I use over a primer) and have the perfect amount of shimmer, not over done.

I have no complaints about this palette! If your on the fence about it, just buy it. You won't regret it!

on 2/23/2011 1:35:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Black, Curly, Medium

As an Urban Decay junkie, I was hesitant to purchase this palette at first. I was used to 'high end' shadows, but after reading many raving reviews on the palette, I decided to take the plunge. I bought it on Amazon for $16, and that was with shipping. The shadows are gorgeous. They're shimmery, creamy and opaque. They're not too powdery, as some more inexpensive shadows tend to be. There are a ton of colors, so you can create many, many different looks. They work well together, but they also work well combined with shadows from other brands. Overall, this was probably the best $16 I've spent on eyeshadow in a long time. I would definitely purchase again - that is if I ever run out!