Coastal Scents Ultra Shimmer 88 eye shadow palette

Coastal Scents Ultra Shimmer 88 eye shadow palette
Ultra Shimmer 88 eye shadow paletteCoastal Scents 88 Ulta Shimmer Palette

4.1

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I think these are good to experiment with and for those who don't want to spend alot of money. The shadows are super cheap and small, most of them are chalky with the original and this palette is chunky. So it has fallout of the worst kind. I still give it a two for the shades and the shimmer is pretty. They aren't that vibrant. In the pan they look more rich, but on the eye they fade and blend into one shade. That's why the YT girls don't blend the lines very well. I've seen more girls using this, but not blending. Wasted money...

on 2/17/2010 12:53:00 AM

I've had this palette for quite a while now. And I've only used it a few times.
Although the colors are creamier and more pigmented than the ones in the matte palette the frostiness keeps me from using this too often (or ever!). I'm only 22, I have no problem wearing shimmer shadows. They're actually flattering. But *this* is too much!
I especially dislike the lighter colors. They all look like white shimmer with just a hint of color that doesn't show up at all in pictures. It's just a shimmery mess.
I'd say this is a good palette to give to a 15yr old girl just getting into makeup. I'm very disappointed.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Cool

Liek the rest of the reviewers I was so excited to receive this product. I was also, however, immensely disappointed once I finally recieved it.

Pros:
-Gorgeous colours
-Amazing range (like, 5-6 different purples - though, sometimes hard to tell apart!)
-Pretty Shimmer, though some are less "glittery" than others, which is kind of nice
-They really take pains to package it up well - came in big box with lots of paper and bubble wrap

Cons:
-tiny shadows, smaller than dime size (affects application a bit)
-The darkest colours don't have much pigment - need to keep reapplying
-They don't go on smoothly; hurts my eyes to keep blending!! Especially some of the more pigmented colours go on a bit blotchy.
-TONS of fallout - be prepared to completely clean your face once you've applied the shadows; you can't have any other makeup on prior.
-They stain. They stain whatever surface they hit. If I have fallout and I rub it away, forget it. Some of the darker colours also stain my brushes. I couldn't get the turqouise off after washing several times.

Ultimately: a fun addiction to your eye shadow collection if you want to play around with some different looks. But if it's your only eyeshadows ... well, you're not going to have the best quality and you are going to have to fuss with them quite a bit.

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

I will admit that it is really handy to have so many colors to choose from in one pallette. But the quality of the eyesshadow is so poor! And i know that people are thinking that you get the quality according to price, but come on. The shimmer is way to shimmery with large pieces of glitter instead of a sheen. There's so much fallout that settles in the fines lines under the eyes and the sahdow is chunky and doesn't go smoothly on the eyelid at all. Instead of just swiping the brush a couple of times, I have to spend time blending the base color on the lid. Loving the color range. Hating the quality. The darker colors are a little better than the lighter ones.

on 10/1/2009 9:00:00 PM

I purchased the original 88 palette which has a variety of finishes - matte, satin, & shimmer, and this ultra shimmer palette. The shimmer is just too much for me (chunky with lots of fallout) and makes my eyelids look super crepey and weird. Perhaps it's because I'm getting older, but I much prefer the original 88 palette and would like to exchange this one for the 88 warm palette. I wonder what their policy is? I'll have to check it out.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

While it does come with 88 colours, upon swatching all of them, it's something closer to 30 colours (and that's pushing it!). A lot of the colours are the same - while they look different in the pot, swatched they look very much the same.

The shimmers in this palette are all cool toned shimmers. On that note, this palette is not suitable for the yellow-toned people and better for pink-toned people. The shimmers are not irrespective of the colour, it really is just a silvery sheen on all the colours.

The pigmentation is pretty good for the price ($11 for 88 colours), but it's not great. I've witnessed better from Maybelline. Some of the colours are very difficult to apply (the lighter colours and the reds) and are just too chalky. Most only look good when applied wet.
Blending is a whole other issue. It's difficult, requires A LOT of effort and you do need a really good eyeshadow base. Most often the colours look like they bleed together when blended without any distinct blocks of colour like how I applied and they do crease when lacking my Too Faced Shadow Insurance in minimal time.

I really tried hard to love this palette since it was the first ever palette I bought, but even without much to compare it to (I usually used monos) I sadly cannot love it.

Shipping to Australia was a ridiculous price and if you are hoping for one eyeshadow palette that would be the one palette you will ever need, this is not it. It's best for experimenting I suppose. What I have learnt with this palette is that purples and greens look great on me and I should stay clear from pinks that are not a nude-ish pink and that shimmers really aren't my thing.

on 5/1/2012 7:59:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

I fell in love with this palette before I ever even got it in the mail. I like the idea of all colors being in one handy palette. Also, the reviews that I've read have been pretty stellar on the Ultra Shimmer Palette.
When I received it in the mail today, I was super excited to swatch the beautiful colors inside. The first thing I noticed was how akward it was to open the palette without dropping it. I guess a palette of that size seemed like a good idea until I tried to figure out just where I would store it.
On to the colors...they are in fact VERY pigmented and everything I'd hoped they would be in terms of brightness. The biggest downside? The particles are too big and require a lot of force to blend. All this blending leaves a powdery & shimmery mess on my face. Also, I will have to use a good primer on my lids because it doesn't last that long at all. I will use this palette. It's the principal of it at this point. However, I will now do my eye make up first (complete with industrial strength primer), and then apply my foundation, ect.. The color payoff is somewhat worth the pain in the rump that my new makeup routine will be. Hopefully...

Most of the shadows/blushes, in any of type of these named/numbered finished palettes, are nicely pigmented.
Though, I find that if you don't flick off your brush and use a base, you will get more than average fallout.
So I recommend that you do your foundation last..... with any of these various named/numbered palettes.
Each one are great and have a variety of colors you can play with.

@Everyone: Please save your hard earned $ and just buy all the Coastal Scents, Bh Cosmetics, etc...etc...Palettes off of EBAY!!

They really ARE the SAME thing/colors!

Its just that they switch up the pans in different places sometimes!

I know some say that some are pigmented than other brands. But no they are not really!
Its just that some palettes are FRESHER therefore they will give you BETTER PAYOFF.

You can buy any variety for around $10.00 each on EBAY!
I actually bought the 10 Blush, Neutral, Concealer, Camouflage Palettes for under $8.00 each.... on EBAY!! Really!
Now I am a big believer for supporting American businesses. But we all now know where they get their stuff from....so I feel perfectly fine buying from overseas. ;)

on 7/10/2011 7:47:00 AM

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Other

I bought mine months ago and have barely used it. The black is chalky. The brights are very pigmented, but I don't really use those colours often as I have bright blue eyes and it can easily look tacky on me. I think it's a great starting out palette, but I have found better (and still inexpensive) shadows.

on 2/26/2010 3:17:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool

I Loved this product at first But i just got way to tired of all the shimmer So I sometimes use the colors If I want some shimmer so I just use one color from there and find some mattes to go along with it