Coastal Scents Ultra Shimmer 88 eye shadow palette

Coastal Scents Ultra Shimmer 88 eye shadow palette
Ultra Shimmer 88 eye shadow paletteCoastal Scents 88 Ulta Shimmer Palette

3.8

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm

When I ordered this product, I was very excited for it. There is every color under the sun and it is so beautiful to look at. The packaging is flimsy though, so one the eyeshadows was broken, and soon one of them dropped out and got destroyed( not that I was partial to that color). But the more I used them, the more I realized that the quality was rather poor. The colors were very dusty and kind of chalky, and it was hard to get good color pay off, especially on my dark lids. And if I rubbed them, the color would completely fade and the shimmer would be left. To be honest, I practically never reach for this palette because alot lf the colors just aren't good quality. That being said, it is great as a beginner palette because it gives you to the chance to experiment with colors and is good as a backup palette for when you need a color but don't have it any other palette, and it's a good deal overall. But don't expect great quality from the colors

on 12/13/2012 4:44:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Tan, Warm

This product is highly pigmented and stay on with good eye primers (I use clarins flash balm, topped off with l'oreal nude magique bb, setting loose powder, eyelid primer and cream eyeshadow prior to application), stays on for the whole 12h on my oily lids. I've made some lovely experimentations but in the end find myself reaching for it rather rarely.

I love the oranges for neutralizing my under-eye dark circle prior to garnier roll-on cafeine concealer. Definitely helps it gain extra longevity.

Nowadays I prefer putting some vibrant colors on my lid, blended with naked shade from the naked palette, darkhorse for the crease and creep for the wing. Borderline of vibrant and natural <3

3 years after purchase, just for the sake of updating my review:
I didn't regret buying this back on my beginner make up university days, but after working for a few years and having kids I would've rather invested my money straight on one of the sleek i-divine palettes that suits my complexion (namely sunset palette). I reached out to it way more, with the UDN and cargo warm neutral palette as well. It's alright for experimentation. Goes on buttery creamy but fades after 1-2 hours even with the best of the primers.

on 3/19/2012 5:29:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

I had been wanting to get this palette since forever, but somehow never got around to it. I finally caved in last week and got myself the 88 Matte/Satin one from an online reseller in my country.

Granted, the quality is somewhat compromised due to its low price. The formulation is chalky making them look caked on my lids, and many of the lighter shades barely appear on my skin due to poor pigmentation. The brighter shades are very pretty, and make me want to get the Shimmer palette. Surprisingly, the lasting power is impressive when coupled with a good primer. One night I wore Coastal Scents shadows with Urban Decay ones to a street party, and I was surprised to find that the UD colours faded while the CS ones lasted by the end of the night. I find that Matte eyeshadows are unflattering to my face, so what I usually do is pair them with shimmer ones from other, better brands.

I doubt I will be using half of the colours at all though. Won't repurchase.

You have practically every color under the rainbow with this palette! The colors glide on yours lids evenly and shimmery, there is no chunky glitter, and it blends very well. It is a bit powdery on the brush, so remember to tap the excess off! Each color pan is about the size of a dime, which doesn't seem like a lot, but with all the choice in this palette, you won't be running out of any color soon. The palette is a slim black case less than half an inch thick with a small mirror and comes with two sponge applicators.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Cool

I bought this because of the reviews on youtube. I was originally planning to get the 88 original palette but they were out of stock, so I settled for this Ultra Shimmer 88 palette instead.

PROS:
- price is great with that many colors in a palette
- I like the compact, very slim and easy to store
- lots of colors & very pigmented

CONS:
- too shimmery for everyday use
- I need an eye primer for this to last all day
- the e/s pan for each color is too small...about the size of a dime

Overall, I'm not a fan of shimmers (that's just me) so I only use this for party, going out late nights, and even halloween makeup. But for everyday use, I skip using this. I don't reach for this palette anymore that I have to give it away to a friend.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool

I really like this palette, and compared to the original matte 88 palette from CS, this one is much better in pigment and overall texture. Granted I don't use all of the colors, but the really bright ones are fun to play around with when you want to rock a bright, colorful look. The colors I find myself using the most are the cream/vanilla/white colors, the darker browns/cafe and black, and the silver toned ones (which are my FAVORITES). All of the colors have excellent pigment and apply very smoothly. There is a bit of fallout, but it is to be expected with most eyeshadows. The white/silver colors seem to have an almost creamy texture which works great under eyeshadows. The silver brightens up my eyes and I wear this one frequently on its own (with a base underneath {Mac's paint pot in Painterly}) with some winged eyeliner and a cherry red lip. When I run out I will definitely repurchase this palette. I regret purchasing the original 88 matte palette which I hardly ever use because of its' chalky texture and poor pigmentation overall. I recommend anyone trying this if they are interested in creating fun, colorful looks and love eyeshadows. It makes a great addition to any eyeshadow collection, although I would recommend those that enjoy a more neutral look that still has shimmer to try the Metallic Palette from Coastal Scents. It looks truly beautiful on the site, and I cannot wait to try that one out. I have heard nothing but good things about that one as well. It's the next on my list.

on 5/10/2011 6:10:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

LOVE this palette! Even with shipping to Canada the price was very reasonable. There are so many colors to choose from and so many different combinations. Quality is great, the colors last all day (I use over a primer) and have the perfect amount of shimmer, not over done.

I have no complaints about this palette! If your on the fence about it, just buy it. You won't regret it!

on 11/2/2010 2:41:00 AM

I really wanted to love this, but I just like it... it's best to use a primer and wet brush to un-chalk some of these, and to keep the color. A dry brush, just turns into a fall out disaster, and well, it makes the colors more worth it. The exterior of the packaging is nice, and shows matte. The inside is just as nice, but I fear the eyeshadow pots might come loose. Packaging was nice, my brushes had come in pink tissue paper, I was given a free sample eyeshadow, and the eyeshadow palette had tissue paper and bubble wrap, making it's trip safe.

Overall, I'd say it's worth it, if my suggestions are used. Otherwise, it can pass off for children make-up. So, it's really 50/50.

on 9/18/2010 11:37:00 AM

I'm going to be a total hypocrite for this review. I normally hate, hate, hate shimmery/glittery shadows, but this pallette somewhat changed my mind.

I have the regular 88 color pallette and I use the shimmer one more. THe colors are beautiful and blend much better than the matte shades in the other pallette.

I don't use this as much as I should, but the colors are pretty crazy and you can't really wear them on a daily basis.

Hair: Red, Straight, Medium

Great product to buy if you're a beginner with make up and like to experiment with different colors. It's a great way to get a lot of colors at a cheap price. They aren't quite MAC quality, but they're still good in my opinion. As long as you use an eyeshadow base they will stay put all day. I got both this one and the 88 matte palette and I use both of them all the time. I especially love the fact that I can experiment with new looks using vibrant colors without breaking the bank. You get about a dime sized amount of each color which in my opinion is good because you're not going to use the very bright, pigmented colors that much anyway. Definitely recommend this.