Coastal Scents Ultra Shimmer 88 eye shadow palette

3.8

on 1/5/2010 4:49:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

I love the fact that you get to try lots of different colors , most of the colors I wont wear thou, and why there has to be 10 different shades of yellow and orange is a bit odd.
The colors are very frosty! and very chalky, tons of fallout. Very low quality like something you would find in a dollar store. Will definitely not repurchase.

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I think these are good to experiment with and for those who don't want to spend alot of money. The shadows are super cheap and small, most of them are chalky with the original and this palette is chunky. So it has fallout of the worst kind. I still give it a two for the shades and the shimmer is pretty. They aren't that vibrant. In the pan they look more rich, but on the eye they fade and blend into one shade. That's why the YT girls don't blend the lines very well. I've seen more girls using this, but not blending. Wasted money...

on 12/27/2010 9:10:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Kinky, Medium

I just can't good a good colour pay off : (

I do like the many different colours it's great for the days when you feel fancy and don't want to buy all these other colours. The case is okay but mine fell and the lid broke off and the mirror popped out. Not going to complain much because of pricing but I would have liked to be able to get more than drop out of it before it broke.

Over all I'm sad to say I will not buy this again.

on 2/17/2010 12:53:00 AM

I've had this palette for quite a while now. And I've only used it a few times.
Although the colors are creamier and more pigmented than the ones in the matte palette the frostiness keeps me from using this too often (or ever!). I'm only 22, I have no problem wearing shimmer shadows. They're actually flattering. But *this* is too much!
I especially dislike the lighter colors. They all look like white shimmer with just a hint of color that doesn't show up at all in pictures. It's just a shimmery mess.
I'd say this is a good palette to give to a 15yr old girl just getting into makeup. I'm very disappointed.

Hair: Brunette, Other, Medium

My first reaction to this product is "No no no! Don't do it!" THe shadows are chalky and useless. But then i decided to try one of them wet. And now I would have to say these shadows are alright. Still not super great, nothing to rave about, but they work if you wet your brush first! I have only tried one color so far.. and I will update as soon as I have tried out more of the colors!

UPDATE!: Ended up getting rid of it. LOL Guess that shows how i feel about this palette. I do not recommend even trying this. Just go try some other palette, even if it costs a little more it will be worth it.

on 1/5/2010 12:55:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool

1 lippy for color variety, 1 lippy for pigmentation. And that's it! The colors are not blendable, tons of fallout, not travel friendly (this just sits at home), not soft textured, large pigment pieces (not finely milled), and has no gradient of shimmier (i.e. frost, veluxe pearl, etc.). It's just shimmer! So I feel like a drag queen when putting it all over my eyelids. Very poorly made product and will not purchase from CS ever again!

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Cool

Liek the rest of the reviewers I was so excited to receive this product. I was also, however, immensely disappointed once I finally recieved it.

Pros:
-Gorgeous colours
-Amazing range (like, 5-6 different purples - though, sometimes hard to tell apart!)
-Pretty Shimmer, though some are less "glittery" than others, which is kind of nice
-They really take pains to package it up well - came in big box with lots of paper and bubble wrap

Cons:
-tiny shadows, smaller than dime size (affects application a bit)
-The darkest colours don't have much pigment - need to keep reapplying
-They don't go on smoothly; hurts my eyes to keep blending!! Especially some of the more pigmented colours go on a bit blotchy.
-TONS of fallout - be prepared to completely clean your face once you've applied the shadows; you can't have any other makeup on prior.
-They stain. They stain whatever surface they hit. If I have fallout and I rub it away, forget it. Some of the darker colours also stain my brushes. I couldn't get the turqouise off after washing several times.

Ultimately: a fun addiction to your eye shadow collection if you want to play around with some different looks. But if it's your only eyeshadows ... well, you're not going to have the best quality and you are going to have to fuss with them quite a bit.

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

I will admit that it is really handy to have so many colors to choose from in one pallette. But the quality of the eyesshadow is so poor! And i know that people are thinking that you get the quality according to price, but come on. The shimmer is way to shimmery with large pieces of glitter instead of a sheen. There's so much fallout that settles in the fines lines under the eyes and the sahdow is chunky and doesn't go smoothly on the eyelid at all. Instead of just swiping the brush a couple of times, I have to spend time blending the base color on the lid. Loving the color range. Hating the quality. The darker colors are a little better than the lighter ones.

on 10/1/2009 9:00:00 PM

I purchased the original 88 palette which has a variety of finishes - matte, satin, & shimmer, and this ultra shimmer palette. The shimmer is just too much for me (chunky with lots of fallout) and makes my eyelids look super crepey and weird. Perhaps it's because I'm getting older, but I much prefer the original 88 palette and would like to exchange this one for the 88 warm palette. I wonder what their policy is? I'll have to check it out.

on 5/1/2009 9:10:00 PM

i have to say that this palette was very disappointing to me, even after all the hype i expected alot more. i found that the shadows would crumble while trying to apply them and did not stay on all day even with a good base. i prefer shimmer over matte BUT these shadows were so frosty they made my eyes look greasy. i liked using this when i first got it then after a month i realized it just didnt look good on me at all. Maybe i will purchase the matte one but the ultra shimmer gets a thumbs down from me!